help a man new to oats!!!!

JCWILDLIFEMANAGER

Just finished planting two acres in coker oats wheat and purple top turnips. How big do the oats get and what do they look like. Never planted oats before. Thanks!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It is a grass, if you have a healthy population of deer and turkey it will remain short through the winter due to grazing. Next spring it will grow taller and extend stems with seed. It will mature and turn brown by about May.

JCWILDLIFEMANAGER

Thanks bud. We used hand spreaders to broadcast and i chose ot to drag over them. The bag said seed to soil contact so hopefully it will be fine. Ive done it both ways in the past with success just never oats

telco guy

Once the oatsget a rain on them they will sprout and do fine. The only problem with not covering the seed is the longer the seed are exposed the more of them you will lose to the birds.

Killdee

I always cover my oats with the disks turned straight and a drag. Oats have a hard shell and germinate better if covered. Wheat not as picky.

dpcmcghee

Banned
coker oats @ 2 weeks

20120922_073100_zps6523a430.jpg

JCWILDLIFEMANAGER

Thanks guys. Great looking plot dpc! Killdee do you think my oats will be ok. I planted a summer mix of sorghum millet cow peaa and soybeans and did not cover them and it turned out great. We dont have a tractor so we rented a ride behind roto tiller and turned it under then i rigged an 8ft telephone pole to a chain and put 8inch spikes in it. Hooked it to my truck and drove around the plot. It sounds kinda jonny rig em up but it worked!!

Killdee

Jc you might be fine especially if you got a hard rain after. If not overseed with wheat.Driving around in the truck likely give the seeds good soil contact.Nice looking plots fellars!!!

JCWILDLIFEMANAGER

The rain is supposed to be here saturday evening. Heavy dew this morning will hopefully help. Im trying to upload photos of before pics from photo bucket but it keeps telling me invalid address. Im doing it from my phone???? How did yall upload photos?

Killdee

I save em to my pc re size and then easy to post. If you cant get it figured out you can email to me and I'll post fer u.

dpcmcghee

Banned
Download photo to photobucket ... Click on that photo . Hit menu on your phone tap "view links " select img ... Now its on your clipboard ... Go back to gon and where you usually type your message press and hold ... Clipboard logo will pop up . Choose that picture and it will put it on your message board . Then post it .. Sounds hard but its easy

hunter eric

I wanted to plant oats and I didnt have access to a tractor either.
I did have a bobcat at the property that was being used to clean out some area's. I took the bobcat and turned the bucket down and used the teeth of the bucket to "drag" the area and tear up the ground. I then broadcast the seed.....drove over it with atv to "pack" it and then.....after a little rain and 2 weeks to grow>>>>>>>>>

Attachments

• IMG00246-20120929-1031.jpg
    IMG00246-20120929-1031.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 454

JCWILDLIFEMANAGER

Lookin good hunter eric. Sometimes we have to be resourceful! Its crazy what we are willing to do when it comes to hunting. Good luck all.