My Dad's First Turkey

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Some of you may remember a post I made in the Deer Hunting forum in 2010. That summer I had read a Father's Day post by turkeymaniac, with a video of he and his Dad fishing. Shortly thereafter I read where his Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. That hit home with me. My Dad was 70 years old and retired. He sat at home lonely and bored, spending most of his time in front of the television watching the news. It wasn't like I hadn't tried before to get him to go hunting, but I made up my mind to try again. I almost couldn't believe it when he said "Yes". We spent almost every weekend that deer season hunting together. He killed 2 deer, one hunting with me and the other hunting with my 2 brothers on their hunt club. We had the most fun that season and made some wonderful memories. My Dad was so excited to be back in the woods hunting and to be spending so much time with his family. He joined my brothers hunt club, bought him a camper, a new golf cart customized just for hunting so he could get around on the club, some more guns to add to his gun cabinet, a fox pro for predator hunting.... the list goes on. He stopped watching the depressing news and started watching hunting shows. The change in him was absolutely amazing. Opening weekend of the 2011 turkey season we were sitting in a blind hoping to call in his first turkey. He'd never turkey hunted before but we had seen many turkeys while deer hunting in 2010. We hunted several times but with no success. When deer season opened he spent the first 2 weeks at the hunt club. He shot a 6 pt. buck and he was so proud. I think he ended up killing 3 deer that season and spent a lot of time at the club with his sons and grandsons. For Christmas, Tim Sandford made my Dad a glass pot call using the picture of my Dad with his 6 pt. buck. In February of 2012 my Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. That was very hard to accept when he was enjoying life so much and had finally gotten back into something he had loved so much many years ago. Somehow we had to try and make the most of what time he had left. Opening weekend of turkey season my Dad was at the hunt club with my 2 brothers. On Sunday my older brother called in his first ever gobbler, using the same pot call I had used to call in my first turkey on my own. Monday morning they all hunted separate locations on the club. They had dropped my Dad off first. They had their phones on vibrate and told my Dad to call if he needed anything.... before long Donny had a voice mail and wondering what might be wrong he checked it. It was my Dad saying, "I need someone to come take my PICTURE!" Using only the pot call Tim had made him, he had called in and shot his first gobbler all by himself! :fine: I don't think I've ever been more proud or any happier than I was when they called me. My Dad went to heaven the first of December 2012. I will forever cherish the last couple of years and the memories we made.

Attachments

• Dadpost1.jpg
    Dadpost1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 991
  • Dadpost2.jpg
    Dadpost2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Dadpost3.jpg
    Dadpost3.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Dadpost4.jpg
    Dadpost4.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Dadpost5.jpg
    Dadpost5.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Dadpost6.jpg
    Dadpost6.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 990
  • Dadpost7.jpg
    Dadpost7.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Dadpost8.jpg
    Dadpost8.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Dadpost9.jpg
    Dadpost9.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Dadpost9a.jpg
    Dadpost9a.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 995
  • Dadpost9b.jpg
    Dadpost9b.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Dadpost9c.jpg
    Dadpost9c.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 981

Huntinfool

Great post. Now THIS is waht the turkey forum used to and should be.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but super glad you got that special time with him before he passed. As a dad, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than spend my last few years hanging out with my kids.

six

Cool stuff!

born2hunt99

awesome story and pics!

capt stan

Good Stuff Debbie!!!

Gut_Pile

Great stuff Ms. Debbie. Hate to hear the loss of your father. Looks like yall got to have some fun before he passed

fredw

Retired Moderator
What a blessing to have those special memories of a special man and the times you shared with him doing the things y'all loved to do. I'm sure he'll be checking on you this spring from above.

God bless you Miss Debbie.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You are to be commended for what you did for your Dad, and the time spent with him. I know he was proud of you Debbie, for the Lady and hunter that you are. It is an honor to call you friend.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am sorry for you losing your Dad, Debbie! Photo's sometimes make it easy to handle when they are good memories! Glad you got to have a bunch of them!
Tim

turkeyed

Sorry for your loss Debbie. I'm sure you dad will be watching you from above with a smile this season and seasons to come.

ryanwhit

So sorry to hear about your dad, Debbie. What special memories y'all were able to make during his last few years!

FSU Turtle

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing because it really puts things in perspective. I am sure you will treasure the great memories you made with him.

Lumpkin Hunter

Great memories.

Sorry to hear about your Dad and you loosing him. I'm sure he enjoyed the time you gave him during his last years of life.
Your post brings back memories of the times I spent with my father in law. He was taken by cancer also. Thank you for bringing them back to me again. Our memories are a gift we must hold dear to our hearts.