how to set up if you can't scout or roost the night before

RipperIII

I don't have the luxury of getting to our property the night before or to scout beforehand.

I can and have hunted food plots with limited success.

I am familiar with the lay of the land through several seasons of turkey and deer hunting/scouting.
But going in "cold" how would you guys set up?

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I'd look at a topo map and try to setup near points or ridges above the water sources on the property.

MKW

I never roost turkeys. I just wait for the first gobble of the morning and go to him.

Mike

Mark K

Banned
I never roost turkeys. I just wait for the first gobble of the morning and go to him.

Mike

You must have really good hearing!! I hunt 20K acres. It would be blind luck for me!

Unicoidawg

Staff member

Wild Turkey

Where I hunt birds typically roost in large pines on hardwood ridges.
I typically shock call from an area near the ridges but not visible. Then move in but not close down hill of the bird and get ready.
As soon as he hits the ground he will be looking for hens. When he finds them he will typically shut up.

M Sharpe

It's been my observation that turkeys generally roost in the same general area from year to year, within hearing distance anyway. If you've done your scouting, you should have a general idea as to where the turkeys are. It's better to be within an acceptable range than to be too close and busted.

Curtis-UGA

I rarely have a pre determined spot I'm gonna set up. I wait till he starts gobbling, guess which way I think he is going then slip in as close as possible.

hoppie

If it is my first time on a property or I have not had time to listen to scout them, I generally find a high spot after looking over a map for promising areas. I let the turkeys dictate from there. If they gobble I go, if not I stay there and wait till after fly down and burn some boot tread.

M Sharpe

I am familiar with the lay of the land through several seasons of turkey and deer hunting/scouting.
But going in "cold" how would you guys set up?

:huh:

Go to the places you've seen and heard them before in your previous years of hunting and scouting; and, listen.

nhancedsvt

Banned
Find a high point on the property. Listen for turkeys to gobble. Go kill turkey.

BeardsandSpurs

Get out your truck, take three steps, owl hoot, and whichever gobbler gobbles closest...go after him!!!

Core Lokt

Mike

x 3 but the property I hunt is only 500 ac too. I know the areas they roost from yr to yr as well. The property is also laid out that you can hear them on the roost from a few listening spots. If I was hunting property I have never been on before the hunt I'd use a map and my ears and go from there.

nhancedsvt

Banned
Get out your truck, take three steps, owl hoot, and whichever gobbler gobbles closest...go after him!!!

You drive your truck that close to roosted birds?:confused:

hawglips

Banned
Locate him, set up on him, call him in.

Don't commit to any "set up" prior to locating him.

MKW

You must have really good hearing!! I hunt 20K acres. It would be blind luck for me!

No, actually I don't. If I don't hear one at daylight, I start "trolling" till I do hear one.

Mike

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Go to where you've heard them in the past. Unless the forest has changed, they'll be in the same old places. This time of the year you'll hear them farther than you will later because of the leafless canopy. Put a compass on him and bug out after him.

JimLandt

If you've found gobblers in past years, chances are they'll be near those same areas. Go in early on higher areas near those places to listen and pinpoint locations. If you don't hear gobbles by 9:00 am, start looking for fresh sign along creek bottoms. Set up on the sign in the shade and wait... calling occasionally. Chances are they'll be moving through at some point. I've had good luck well into the afternoon using this plan, especially on days where the birds are in there but not gobbling, or if they're too far off to get to earlier in the day. Good luck!