Haying Fields

critterslayer

There is a field near where I hunt that gets cut for hay every year. I know that turkeys nest in the field. I saw a hen coming out of that pasture Sunday, and heading down to the field that doesn't get cut. I hope they nest in the field that doesn't get cut this year. I wonder how all the fields getting cut affect the turkey population? Would making brush piles along the edges encourage them to nest in the brush, rather than the field that gets cut?

ChristopherA.King

I hear about hens and nests getting mowed over every year up here most try to avoid it but sometimes they just don't see them in time....

Killdee

It's just something that happens, not much you can do. Some folks walk the field edges and flag em.

critterslayer

Will they come back to their nest if people are working in the field, and there is only a circle of tall grass around there nest where it was flagged? I might just try flagging. Are the nests hard to find?

Killdee

Will they come back to their nest if people are working in the field, and there is only a circle of tall grass around there nest where it was flagged? I might just try flagging. Are the nests hard to find?

Most time they nest nearer the edges rather than the middle and they may come back if you leave a good sized bit of cover and get gone pretty quick. This is just what I have heard and read in the past, I have no first hand experience. They will re nest up to 3 times I have also heard.