Router questions

Derek Edge

I am wanting to purchase a router, for some small wood projects I have in mind. What are some things to look for in a good router? What are some good brands and what not to look for? Thanks.

revrandyf

I used to be in the custom furniture and cabinet business and relied on my routers a lot. Most of them were Porter Cable. For basic routing tasks, the 690 is great. You want a router with a strong arbor, easy to change bits, soft-start, comfortable to hold but enough weight to be stable on your wood project. Hope this helps. Blessings

leoparddog

I wish I had bought a Plunge Router when I bought mine. You don't NEED that feature as you could drill a pilot hole, but it is a nice feature to have.

GADAWGS

I have one plunge and two stationary routers, plus a router/shaper. The r/s gets the majority of the use

contender*

Absolutely Porter Cable. The A#1 best router you can buy! For just small jobs get one with the 1/4" arbor. If your gonna be doing some heavy stuff get a 1/2" arbor.

boneboy96

I bought a plunge router from Al33...it's a Porter Cable and built like a tank. Soft start and all...doubt if any better one could be found in my opinion.