Which is it?

How do you say it?

• It's pronounced just like it's spelled, Crappie !!!!

Votes: 84 88.4%
  • Forget the spelling it's Croppie !!!!

Votes: 11 11.6%

• Total voters

Al33

Raised in Texas, all I ever knew to call them were croppie. I got kidded a lot here in Georgia my first few years here until I learned to call them crappie. I would go to Texas each Spring to fish Cedar Creek Lake where my mom and dad lived and they would laugh when I called them crappie.

Dad always said he would rather eat a croppie than a crappie. :bounce: Can't argue with that but the correct pronunciation is crap-pee.

Personally, I think we should do like the South Georgia and most Florida folks do and just call them specks. :)

Al

matthewsman

now about those nuts

Is it pee-can or pe-kahn?

Handgunner

crap-pee, or specks as we call them.... and Matthewsman, it's pe-con/khan. *L*

Funny story about my grandma, years ago when they still delivered block ice to the houses, a man came around selling "pecans"...

"Mrs. Lord, would you like some pe-CANS?"

"No thank ya, we use lard buckets!".

*LOL*

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Only a Yank would call 'em croppie.

I call the good'uns "slabs" and the little 'un "chips".

GeauxLSU

Wrong!

It's Sac-au-lait - pronounced "sack oh lay".
If you insist on calling it that incorrect name, then it's crOppie.
You yankees... :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
10-4 on the pronunciation Al

Al33 said:
Raised in Texas, all I ever knew to call them were croppie. I got kidded a lot here in Georgia my first few years here until I learned to call them crappie. I would go to Texas each Spring to fish Cedar Creek Lake where my mom and dad lived and they would laugh when I called them crappie.

Dad always said he would rather eat a croppie than a crappie. :bounce: Can't argue with that but the correct pronunciation is crap-pee.

Personally, I think we should do like the South Georgia and most Florida folks do and just call them specks. :)

Al

Actually, my grandfather always just called them "white perch" :)

leo

H

HT2

Jody.....

It's "CRAPPIE"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where I'm from anyways!!!!!!!! :p :p

H

HT2

Keith..........

Keith Murray said:
It ain't a "Southern" thing. In South Georgia, they call'm "white perch!"

I hear ya bud.....

When my Pa-Pa was still living that's all he called them.......

WHITE PERCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Carp

It's pronounced crappie. ( as in going to the outhouse ) They sure taste better than they sound ! :bounce:

gobble79

All I had ever heard in MS was croppie or white perch. Been in Ga for 20 years now and call them crappie. Took some getting used to this Ga lingo. I will never forget the first time in georgia when I went to the store and asked where the nabs were? People over here didn't even know what a barpit was.

tracker

crappie

A friend of mine always calls them white perch, he said he liked to eat them and wouldn't eat something crappie! ;)

nchunter

most people call the crappie around here

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Re:

I wouldn't completly trust a person that calls them croppie. :rofl: Heck with Jimmy Houston, Bill Dance is better anyway. :fine:

Latest posts