Antique/Flea markets, malls, and stores

SarahFair

Monroe has about 8 antique malls but I dont feel Ive found what I'm looking for.

Where is there a large location or a town with a bunch of stores?

Not looking for outdoor fleas as im looking for furniture.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We haven't been antiquing in several years. Many shops have closed due to the economy. The one in Athens on the Atlanta hwy near the 29-78 split used to have a lot of furniture, but they were a bit on the pricy side. Greensboro has some shops, but they have mostly smalls. There were several good ones in Asheville, NC. and in Columbia, SC.

rjcruiser

Scott's antiques in Atlanta is a huge place.

There's a few decent thrift stores and antique places in Covington. But...Monroe has more to offer than covington...at least that is what my wife thinks.

Statham has a bunch of nice ones, all right together.

Athens has several, I'll have to get with SWMBO for there names. One big one is Restore, run by Habitat for Humanity, on the Atlanta Highway, in the old old Lowes store. That may be the one Just4all is referring to, I can't think of another out that way.

SarahFair

I went to stathem, winder, Lawrenceville, snellville, and Decatur.

While Monroe is still my favorite Stathem had a few good things to offer

Dr. Strangelove

The two in Statham are my favorite. There is neat one in Watkinsville if you are into small knick-knack type stuff, he has a bunch of Civil War stuff and some WWII stuff.

Last edited:

crackerdave

Wehadkee,Alabama has a big one.It's inside an old textile mill.There's usually live bluegrass music,too.

Artfuldodger

Check out Kudzu Antique Market near the DeKalb Farmers market. There are a few other antique stores in the area.
Kudzu is a little more upscale, hipster, trendy type of store. They have lots of unusual industrial furniture and some sixties furniture.
It's not all as I described it, just eclectic. My daughter liked it and she doesn't like regular antique malls. I bought two chunks of unusual quartz crystals for $3.00 a piece.

http://www.kudzuantiques.com/

SarahFair

Check out Kudzu Antique Market near the DeKalb Farmers market. There are a few other antique stores in the area.
Kudzu is a little more upscale, hipster, trendy type of store. They have lots of unusual industrial furniture and some sixties furniture.
It's not all as I described it, just eclectic. My daughter liked it and she doesn't like regular antique malls. I bought two chunks of unusual quartz crystals for $3.00 a piece.

http://www.kudzuantiques.com/
We went yesterday evening.
They have a $2000 dining table I really really really wanted.
Really.

They are a little more up scale but definitely not out of line with prices, mostly.

3ringer

Some good deals can be found at Scott's antique market. They are only there once a month. I believe they are in two buildings on each side of 285. There is so much to see , we never made it to the second building. Never pay asking price. I love to haggle. Best deals are on Sunday. They would rather sale it at some price than to have to haul it back home. Happy Birthday

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if it is still open or not, but up until a year or so ago there was a store in Maxeys Ga that sounds like what you want. It was in an old timey store building with stuff upstairs and downstairs. It was right on hwy 77 on the main st of Maxeys.

It had furniture mostly with stuff anywhere from 30-40 years old to 100 years or more old. They had pie safes, chifferobes, etc. They had other smaller stuff too. I cant remember the name but some inquiries to the post office or sheriffs office may tell you if they still exist.

Also check in Comer Ga. There were a couple of stores in the old store section of town that were like the style store you seek.

Artfuldodger

I'm not sure if it is still open or not, but up until a year or so ago there was a store in Maxeys Ga that sounds like what you want. It was in an old timey store building with stuff upstairs and downstairs. It was right on hwy 77 on the main st of Maxeys.

It had furniture mostly with stuff anywhere from 30-40 years old to 100 years or more old. They had pie safes, chifferobes, etc. They had other smaller stuff too. I cant remember the name but some inquiries to the post office or sheriffs office may tell you if they still exist.

Also check in Comer Ga. There were a couple of stores in the old store section of town that were like the style store you seek.

I stopped by there on the way to Athens a couple of years ago. The lady running it grew up in Maxeys and we talked about the little town and railroad.

Getting farther from the east Atlanta area and northeast of Athens is the little town of Bowman. They have a lot of antique stores. I haven't been through Comer yet. Lexington has a few antique and thrift stores.
I might make a road trip through Maxeys, Lexington, Comer, Broad River Canoe Outpost, and back home through Bowman, and Elberton.

Now you can usually find better deals at flea markets and thrift stores but you do have to bargain with all of them.
If it's an antique mall have them call the owner of the booth and tell them what you'll pay.

https://sites.google.com/site/bowmangeorgia/merchants

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

We went yesterday evening.
They have a $2000 dining table I really really really wanted.
Really.

They are a little more up scale but definitely not out of line with prices, mostly.

Wow, that must have been some of that industrial furniture.
The store is cool though, did you like it?
Yeah some of their stuff is quite expensive. These stores are great for getting hobby design and decorating ideas.
I would like to make some of that metal art they had outside.

660griz

Also up north on 441 north of Dillard.

^^^^ My wife loves those places. We took the motorcycle one time. She found a rocking chair she had to have. :(

Latest posts