Georgia Laws on Sale Prices

SarahFair

What is the law in Georgia on sale items?

At my antique mall we were told they legally have to honor the lowest price on the item.
So for example, I bought a rare child's book I found at a thrift store, which they have a base price for all books. I put my tag on it, with my price and sellers code.
Someone brought it to the front and argued to the front counter that the $2 old penciled in price on the first page should be the price they get it for (i never even saw it in there it must have been so light) , which the front counter agreed to, so I lost money on that purchase.

Another example is Hobby Lobby..
I picked up an item I thought was 50% because thebsign was out and asked for clarification from a stocker if said item fell under that category, she said that sale was actually from last week, but since the sign was still up they had to honor it, just take the sign to the register.

Another example is Dicks
My son and his friend went to buy a Googan rod yesterday. There was a sign back there that said they were 25% off, but when it didn't ring up 25% and when they asked why the guy said it was expired from last week..

I'm just looking for a little clarification on who has to honor what when it comes to pricing and sales.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You got the shaft from your Mall Managers. A penciled in price on a used item is not an offer to sell at that price. If this were the rule you could pencil $2.95 on the fender of a new Cadillac and make a mint.

I am not sure what the law is on mistakes on pricing but personally I have never pushed it. If a store says the sale went off last week, I believe them. It's their stuff and they should be allowed to sell to anyone they want at whatever price they want.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
#1 That person knew the value of the book and was pushing to take advantage of an old price.
#2 Managers should honor sales prices if their employees doesn't get the signs removed.
#3 I would be all over the manager and explain if the signs are out ...the price is advertised.

SarahFair

You got the shaft from your Mall Managers. A penciled in price on a used item is not an offer to sell at that price. If this were the rule you could pencil $2.95 on the fender of a new Cadillac and make a mint.

#1 That person knew the value of the book and was pushing to take advantage of an old price.
They definitely knew the value because I saw it listed on ebay not a few days later...

And that is what a few of us kind of wondered about, how do yall know they aren't walking around without a pencil and just writing a price on an object?

It hasn't happened again to me, I double check everything now, but the question was also raised about original prices on new old stock (ie. If a Halloween mask in its original packaging from 1965 was 50 cents, but had a new price of $100, do they get it for 50 cents?).

Big7

The Oracle
I thought the law was if it was marked "on sale" or had signage, coupons, magazine ads, etc, that was the price period.

Consumers have no way of knowing the "sale price" expired a week ago if the sign is still up.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
They definitely knew the value because I saw it listed on ebay not a few days later...

And that is what a few of us kind of wondered about, how do yall know they aren't walking around without a pencil and just writing a price on an object?

It hasn't happened again to me, I double check everything now, but the question was also raised about original prices on new old stock (ie. If a Halloween mask in its original packaging from 1965 was 50 cents, but had a new price of $100, do they get it for 50 cents?).
Crooks will always look for a way to game the system.
If a hardback book has the original paper cover listed for $12.99 and the new price is lower ,they still going to pay the 12.99.........No......They know how to game the system and have no remorse or integrity when it comes to making a dollar off someone else.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I watched a woman change prices on some items at Walmart one day.I immediately went to management and told them.They looked at me and said it wasn,t enough money to cause a scene and ,let her walk out the store with a bunch of non label specific items at greatly reduced prices.Not going to tell you how she paid.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Reminds me of the rural farm/estate auctions they had in Ks.
Items would be stacked everywhere.
The fun was watching the city dealers go thru the stuff and hide valuable items in junk boxes.
If somebody saw them, they would move the item into another box.

In the end, nobody really knew what box it was in.

Artfuldodger

I'm not sure what Georgia law is. I'd think on used stuff except maybe cars and houses, there may not be a law. The mall manager should say that only your sticker is valid. It's pretty common for books and records to have penciled in prices and/or stickers.
1690236289438.png

ucfireman

You got shorted on your book. Should ask the store owner to make it right. Give you the diffrence. Most stuff at those places are resell items and may have numerous price tags. Going forward be clear with the owner/cashiers what your prices are. I've seen the cashier pull out a note book to see what the seller's lowest price is on a product (item), without having to call them.

Most stores will honor a sale sign if its still out. I take a picture or take the manager and show it to them. They usually say its a mistake and take the sign down but honor the price.
Ingles will even give you product free.

Walmart is the worst for either not putting out price tags or not changing the shelf price, just updating the computer. I try to scan and make sure the price is correct. If not make them change the price to the advertised price.
I have walked away from the check out to go take a picture to prove the price. I have also left my whole buggy sitting there if they don't honor the price shown.

If they wont and I'm only buying it because of the sale price I will just leave the product there.

Latest posts