SC Public Land Gobbler

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Today was the opener for turkey hunting on public lands in the Palmetto State and it went quite well for me. I only heard one bird from the roost however and he only gobbled one time. I thought I was in pretty good position for him but an hour later nothing had been heard or seen so a move was definitely in order.

He bit on my Aluminum call immediately at the next location but there was a huge water hazard between us so after careful consideration I plotted another course to him. Twenty minutes later I yelped again and it seemed we had both been headed for the same spot....he was close and hot!

I moved around the tree as his gobbles indicated he was half circling my position. I was ready but boy was it thick in there! I first saw just to the left of my gun barrel only 25 yards out but he moved behind cover before I could shoot. No problem, I just moved my aim several yards in front of him where he should have popped out. But he didn't. The sneaky old rascal moved back the other way with cover shielding his retreat the whole time. I coaxed a couple of more angry sounding gobbles from him before he set out for parts unknown and shut up.

Disappointed and feeling like I let a good one get away I hunted my way back to the truck before taking a drive to a new spot. Never had hunted before but had one answer the slate and two minutes later I heard drumming before the very cooperative two year old came strutting in and lifted his head at 35 yards. I'm really taking a liking to this Burris FFIII sight!

Tale of the tape -16 lbs. .75 spurs and 8.5'' beard

Attachments

• SAM_0486.jpg
    SAM_0486.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 671
  • SAM_0479.jpg
    SAM_0479.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 665

turkeykirk

Congraulations.

wvdawg

Staff member
Sounds like an awesome day! Congratulations!

Stickman1

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!
I always like seeing the public land harvest. Wish there was more of us guys out there:clap:

sman

Congrats!