Turkeys are stupid

sman

After 25 years of chasing birds on public land and private, through the hills of GA to the swamps and fields, I have come to this conclusion.

They are overly stupid and simple minded to the point that it makes them seem hard to hunt.

He has 2 basic needs right now, food and mating. You can kill him with food quite easily. He can't mess that up. He is hungry, there it is, he pecks it.

But I have decided that unless there is ample competition in an area, they are just plain stupid when it comes to mating. He either can't keep his mind on the objective at hand or his brain only has enough cells to remind him to breathe every few seconds.

Where there are ample birds for competition, he is constantly reminded by other suitors what the goal of the day is. If he is left to himself and can have all the hens he wants, he is hopeless mid way through the season.

Take for instance the bird that just crossed my barrel at 120 yards. No roost gobbling. I strike him once at 150 out. 5 minutes later he crosses my barrel. Not a hen in sight. A soft set of yelps. He stops and struts. Gobbles once and then continues on his way. Gobbling every 75 yards as if he just remembered he was talking to a hen. Of course at 150, I get up and follow. I yelp every few minutes and he gobbles. It like he is saying, I hear a hen. Man it would be nice to hook up with her today...oh look a bug.

Thus he proceeds to drag me across the property for some very early preseason deer scouting. Eventually I stop and he continues.

Had he had any competition anywhere nearby, this probably wouldn't have ended this way. The other bird would remind him that shortly this time of year will be gone and they will be back to watching each other strut like muscel heads at the gym. But so is the world of a single lone tom on 400 acres.

I hear ya...

well, I have decided to give up Turkey hunting.

I'm not going to put all my stuff on craigslist and sell it however....

I'm going to give it away to my worst enemy!

s&r

PappyHoel

well, I have decided to give up Turkey hunting.

I'm not going to put all my stuff on craigslist and sell it however....

I'm going to give it away to my worst enemy!

s&r

This...

Toddmann

Reminds me of the bathing suit models on the bus scene at the end of dumb and dumber. I agree Scott, some turkeys are dumb and others are dumber. Maybe it's the dumber ones who actually survive.

Dinosaur

I read a week or so ago on here where a poster said the turkey was the smartest animal in the woods.:crazy: Those woods must be inhabited only by turkey.

Huntinfool

If they are stupid, then I must qualify for every type of mental disability payment the govt offers.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
They are the MOST INSTINCTUAL creature on the planet. From day one EVERYTHING in the woods is trying to eat them. Turtles, foxes, hawks, owls, coons, possums, dogs, bears, humans even ole Bigfoot likes turkeys. They can see like no other and hear just as well....... it's a good thing they can't smell or we'd never kill one. So are they smart? Not really, I have witnessed some crazy stuff over the years, but they are afraid of EVERYTHING.

PappyHoel

It's the randomness. You can't pattern random.

Dinosaur

I disagree, deer have the option of moving and breeding at night.

I love hunting turkey, don't get me wrong, but they run off sheer instincts, like the OP said. Deer are more intelligent animals though. Having a sense of smell alone makes them more intelligent. JMO though. I respect yours as well.

Curtis-UGA

I have been of this opinion for several years.

In my experience a bird who is "hung up" is just too dumb to come the extra distance to the hen. He has always been able to gobble and she come to him, so that's what he does. It has nothing to do with him trying to elude us.

Competition, as sman, stated can however change this.

mike1225

The gobblers are fighting their reflection in the doors at my daughters school. How smart is that?

Deer are more intelligent animals though

YEP.....

I think that every time one of them "smart deer" run into the side of my truck!

Old deer both Bucks and doe have learned what it takes to not get shot....

Not much different in the two.

Old boss gobblers will not come to the gun, they hear you every time, they see you every time, and they know where you are at every time and they never sleep in the same tree twice....

naw, I vote for old boss gobbler even over old boss buck.

s&r

blong

Tree hopping, staying on roost till 9, squatting and using periscope method when called to, going silent when lightly clucked at, spooking off decoys, and flying several hundred yards off roost are some things I have seen gobblers do that make me believe they can and do learn.

goblr77

I don't think gobblers are very smart either. They just have one foot on the panic button at all times. I've never seen anyone crawl into a field holding a deer rack and have a mature buck come charging to his death.

Dinosaur

I don't think gobblers are very smart either. They just have one foot on the panic button at all times. I've never seen anyone crawl into a field holding a deer rack and have a mature buck come charging to his death.

Come on now. You can't tell me you haven't had a bachelor group of bucks come in, you shoot one ,and all the others come running over to it and proceed to attack him, allowing you to shoot another one.