"Tenth legion" book and others by Tom kelly

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What is your opinion of this book and other by Tom Kelly? I have read a few short stories by him and liked them but was wondering what was your favorite book by him or another author if you don't like his work.

Been thinking of buying one of his books but they aren't cheap

Lindseys Grandpa

I like his books and i don't even turkey hunt. I have about 6 or more of his books downloaded on my tablet. There is one that has a group of his best stories that is very good.

They are all entertaining to read but "Better on a Rising Tide" is good "A Few Loose Chapters" is as well. "Old Pro Turkey Hunter" by Gene Nunery is an excellent read as is Charlie Elliott's book (the title escapes me at the moment). There are many others including Herb McClure's "Native Turkeys". ( don't know if I spelled all those right)

antnye

Tenth legion, dealers choice = turkey hunters bible

I read them every year before season. Without fail.

Luke0927

Ive got over a dozen of his books last one I read few weeks back was "Infirm Opinions" really liked it.

You can get his audio books (read by him) for $10 honestly I enjoy them the most, I spend a lot of time on road so good place to listen.

hold em hook

I bought tenth legion this year bc I heard over and over it was a must read for turkey hunters. Out of 150 pages 20 were actually about turkey hunting. I was really disappointed. Go ahead and bash me!!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The Tenth Legion's humor and fresh look at the motivation and obsessive conduct of its participants made it appealing to me. It is not about "how to", but "why?" Just last month I sent a copy to a Canadian friend. I also enjoyed to a lesser degree Better on a Rising Tide, but the next few books didn't take hold and I never got back into the fold for his later books.

MesquiteHeat

I second Nicodemus on the Hutto book about learning strictly about the birds. To the OP, yes I consider Tenth Legion a must read like many people, it's on point and is very witty. To Hold em hook and others that want a book more about hunting and specifically about killing, and written by a turkey slayer, read Ken Morgan's One Man Game. I enjoy Tenth Legion above a lot of the rest but Ken Morgan makes you want to be a better hunter, One Man Game is my turkey hunting bible

Killdee

I agree on the Kenny Morgan, he was a turkey killer elite. I like books with turkey hunting stories. The old pro turkey hunter is good. The Hutto book is also very good. Tom Kellys books are different but also good to me.

Luke0927

Reading Huttos book currently.

To me the appeal of Tom Kelly's books it's the gap he bridges to a lot of things from a generation that is gone he tells a lot of stories from his childhood and others that have died out years back. His humor and knowledge on some many interesting topics.

I've never really thought of them as a how to on killing turkeys, in fact a lot of its isn't even about turkeys it's about the people, and the woods, timber etc...

Whats killing me is I can't find Herbs Mclure's signed book it's missing in my house some where. (4 kids stuff disappears all time around my place.)

hold em hook

I second Nicodemus on the Hutto book about learning strictly about the birds. To the OP, yes I consider Tenth Legion a must read like many people, it's on point and is very witty. To Hold em hook and others that want a book more about hunting and specifically about killing, and written by a turkey slayer, read Ken Morgan's One Man Game. I enjoy Tenth Legion above a lot of the rest but Ken Morgan makes you want to be a better hunter, One Man Game is my turkey hunting bible

Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't hate tenth legion it just wasn't what I expected. To me when people keep saying that new turkey hunters must read it I figured it to be more informative and not as much storytelling.

J Gilbert

I enjoy the Tenth Legion (and every other Tom Kelly book I've read as well), but it's definitely not a turkey how-to book by any means.

Other good ones by Hutto, Nunnery, Morgan and McClure have already been mentioned, but I also like Turkey Hunter's Bible by Ray Eye. Some may not like what Ray describes in his calling, but the information he shares on seasonality and pecking order are invaluable to me.