Texas found a way to get the hogs out of the deer woods

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:

Yeah, let's poison the wildlife.. Hmm.. wonder what else it will effect as the circle of life takes place..

DDT comes to mind..

Last edited:

Nugefan

only a "minimal " threat to other wildlife ...:hair::hair::hair:

LittleDrummerBoy

After reading a number of articles, the product is fairly promising in terms of effectiveness with minimal collateral damage.

I won't criticize TX for giving it a try, but perhaps LA and GA would be wise to see how things go in TX before expanding its use to other states.

No need to rush jumping on the bandwagon. Why not wait and see if some of the concerns that have been raised are borne out or if it is just chicken little syndrome?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Can't happen in Georgia. We can't institute a reward program for dead coyotes without the snowflakes protesting.

Browning Slayer

Can't happen in Georgia. We can't institute a reward program for dead coyotes without the snowflakes protesting.

Heck, I would protest any "mass" poising of wildlife in the state. Even if it was directed to Yotes and I want them dead.

GA native

Warfarin, the same stuff used to poison rats. Yeah, I don't see any collateral damage from that.

I agree with Browning. Hogs will eat the poison and die. Vultures, rats, coyotes and other carrion feeders will eat the carcass, predators will eat the carrion feeders... watch for the cascade effect.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Heck, I would protest any "mass" poising of wildlife in the state. Even if it was directed to Yotes and I want them dead.

Oh, I'm not advocating the use of poisons to control wildlife, invasive or not. I'm just pointing out the likely backlash if this were instituted in GA.

SGaither

I won't say this in the Sports sub forum but I agree with Browning Slayer and would stand beside him in protest for the mass poisoning of wildlife.

Browning Slayer

Oh, I'm not advocating the use of poisons to control wildlife, invasive or not. I'm just pointing out the likely backlash if this were instituted in GA.

Oh I know.. I was reading all the comments on news articles about the coyote contest and there are some nuts out there..

I won't say this in the Sports sub forum but I agree with Browning Slayer and would stand beside him in protest for the mass poisoning of wildlife.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Roadking65

I vote No!
I too eat what I kill and I don't usually have the meat checked by a biologist for any poisons distributed by the state.

Maybe I should start doing just that!?!

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:

Yeah, let's poison the wildlife.. Hmm.. wonder what else it will effect as the circle of life takes place..

DDT comes to mind..

DDT ban was a lie. Succeeded only in punishing farmers and spawning the mindset that cripples us to this day. Look it up.

Browning Slayer

DDT ban was a lie. Succeeded only in punishing farmers and spawning the mindset that cripples us to this day. Look it up.

I'm fully aware of Rachel Carson's book and also of Judge Sweeney's report.

There are tons of info out there that can be pointed for both sides of the argument. There are also reports out there that show the Deep Water Horizon spill didn't have that big of an effect on the Gulf either.

I tend to lean to the side of "less" pesticides and chemicals. Sorry, I don't use pesticides in my garden either.

And I don't think using poison to control hogs is a great idea either.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm thinking scattering Warfarin around all over the place might not be a good idea.

across the river

Warfarin, the same stuff used to poison rats. Yeah, I don't see any collateral damage from that.

I agree with Browning. Hogs will eat the poison and die. Vultures, rats, coyotes and other carrion feeders will eat the carcass, predators will eat the carrion feeders... watch for the cascade effect.

That isn't how it works. Warfarin is currently in rat poison all over the country and has been for years as has already been mentioned. How many people's cats do you know that have died, because they ate a poisoned rat. I'm sure none. Warfarin isn't something the rat, or pig for that matter, eats one time and then runs off an dies. It doesn't work like that. It has a delayed affect and the rat will consume it multiple time over days, before it eventually makes them prone to essentially bleeding to death. The stuff is synthesized by the body during the time they are alive, so it isn't like any cat that eats a poisoned rat will get a dose of "poison." That doesn't happen. There are people that take it as a medicine ever day for goodness sake. Now if you have a box of rat poison sitting in garage and you dogs eats it, he could possible get sick. But even then, the chances of it killing a dog a very slim unless he ate a ton of it. Take enough tylenol, and that too will kill you. The only way another animal could be affected is if that animal actually ate the "bait" itself. If a bunch of raccoons ate the bait over a period of time, could it possible kill a few of them? Sure. That is why the "minimal effect" is mentioned, and why they have to figure out how to properly administer the bait to make it preferential to pigs. However, you aren't going to see coyotes, buzzards, or even humans get sick from eating a pig that ate some warfarin. Like I said, it doesn't work like that.