Texas found a way to get the hogs out of the deer woods

roperdoc

You know compliance with feeding methods and carcass disposal guidelines will be poor, and nearly impossible to monitor. I would have a real problem if I started finding dead pigs on my property, or losing dogs that ate them.

Very few will put it in a fenced area, except possibly Texas where the pet deer are already in fences also. In Georgia a lot of folks would put it on the property lines to kill the hogs next door. And too many would consider collateral deaths of scavengers and predators a benefit. Why risk Temik in eggs when you can put out a bait that gets pigs, coons, possums, crows, blue jays, foxes, coyotes, rodents, raptors that eat sick rodents, etc., etc. At least Temik was quick.

Bilingual signs. Texas has a sizable "transient" population that can't speak english well. What if they can't read spanish either? Texas forums talk about feeders being a food source for more than wildlife.

I'm just not a fan of putting poisons out, whether for pigs, coyotes or whatever. For that matter, I don't like seeing sick mice or rats dying slowly and miserably from anticoagulants. And I don't like seeing and treating the sick dogs that have been eating them.

I'd be ok with a bounty, or a program to allow sales. Georgia is federally listed as brucellosis free now, and they aren't going to allow sales and testing that would show otherwise.
Many of the present methods that people say don't work are actually pretty effective, just not implemented on a large scale. Trapping like Jagerpro does can be effective, but not if the neighbors aren't trying to eradicate pigs. And it's their right not to. I fence my garden instead of trying to require the neighbors to eradicate deer.

It's a difficult problem to be sure, I just don't think this is the answer.

Last edited:

ucfireman

As said before, I just don't like the idea of Warfarin. I had thought about it for its intended use (rat killer) but was concerned about other animals eating the poisoned rats.
Lets think about this. You put the bait in a trap as directed. A squirrel, mouse or rat comes in and eats the bait, leaves and dies. Then a possum or any other scavenger (bobcat, fox, owl or eagle) eats the dead and dies. Then a larger scavenger (coyote, pet dog) eats those. Not to mention the snakes. Anyway you look at it its just not a good idea.
As said earlier I'm no expert and wasn't aware of the drawbacks of the Sodium Nitrite. But it still sounds better than Warfarin to me.

Beartrkkr

As said before, I just don't like the idea of Warfarin. I had thought about it for its intended use (rat killer) but was concerned about other animals eating the poisoned rats.
Lets think about this. You put the bait in a trap as directed. A squirrel, mouse or rat comes in and eats the bait, leaves and dies. Then a possum or any other scavenger (bobcat, fox, owl or eagle) eats the dead and dies. Then a larger scavenger (coyote, pet dog) eats those. Not to mention the snakes. Anyway you look at it its just not a good idea.
As said earlier I'm no expert and wasn't aware of the drawbacks of the Sodium Nitrite. But it still sounds better than Warfarin to me.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/o...ce-feral-hog-numbers-show-promise-8400804.php

There was a lot of work being done with sodium nitrite that was showing promitse, the warfarin thing sort of came out of the blue to some degree, though there had been work done on it in the past and in other countries.

http://www.pestsmart.org.au/poison-baiting-for-feral-pig-control/

"Sodium fluoroacetate (1080) is the main toxin used for poisoning feral pigs. It is produced naturally in around 35 native plants in Australia, so native animals are generally more tolerant to the toxin than introduced animals like pigs. 1080 is water soluble and biodegradable, enabling it to be broken down naturally in the soil to a harmless substance. It also does not accumulate in the food chain. Other toxins, such as CSSP or SAP (yellow phosphorus) and warfarin, are being phased out nationally due to animal welfare and non-target concerns. Sodium nitrite, a common human food preservative (250), is currently being developed as a new toxin and is fast-acting and humane. It takes less than two hours for sodium nitrite to result in pigs’ death, compared to 6-8 hours for 1080, 2-4 days for CSSP, and 1-2 weeks for warfarin. This next-generation toxicant is currently being developed and will be submitted for registration in Australia once testing is complete1."

To me, going organic simply means going back to the basics. Poisioning hogs is so far from the way the good lord intended things when he created the earth. We need more hog hunters.

We can already hunt them year around and at night with a Q-Beam. If hogs were all over our hunting club, we would get rid of them without that sissy boy way of spraying chemicals all over the place. We need to go back to the basics with farming and hunting.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
As bad as I dislike the destructiveness of hogs, poison is not the answer. It`s too easy for poison to come back to haunt you later.

j_seph

The Austin Statesman reported that these hogs were introduced to North America by Spanish settlers who released domestic pigs into the woods to breed.
Can't we just round them up and deport them:D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They were brought here by the Spanish alright, but they were a long way from being "settlers". :rolleyes:

specialk

Warfarin, the same stuff used to poison rats. Yeah, I don't see any collateral damage from that.

I agree with Browning. Hogs will eat the poison and die. Vultures, rats, coyotes and other carrion feeders will eat the carcass, predators will eat the carrion feeders... watch for the cascade effect.

my dad takes warfarin every day.....it keeps him alive.....

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
That isn't how it works. Warfarin is currently in rat poison all over the country and has been for years as has already been mentioned. How many people's cats do you know that have died, because they ate a poisoned rat. I'm sure none. Warfarin isn't something the rat, or pig for that matter, eats one time and then runs off an dies. It doesn't work like that. It has a delayed affect and the rat will consume it multiple time over days, before it eventually makes them prone to essentially bleeding to death. The stuff is synthesized by the body during the time they are alive, so it isn't like any cat that eats a poisoned rat will get a dose of "poison." That doesn't happen. There are people that take it as a medicine ever day for goodness sake. Now if you have a box of rat poison sitting in garage and you dogs eats it, he could possible get sick. But even then, the chances of it killing a dog a very slim unless he ate a ton of it. Take enough tylenol, and that too will kill you. The only way another animal could be affected is if that animal actually ate the "bait" itself. If a bunch of raccoons ate the bait over a period of time, could it possible kill a few of them? Sure. That is why the "minimal effect" is mentioned, and why they have to figure out how to properly administer the bait to make it preferential to pigs. However, you aren't going to see coyotes, buzzards, or even humans get sick from eating a pig that ate some warfarin. Like I said, it doesn't work like that.

I am by no means an expert, but this is my understanding as well.

Some folks here believe that planes are flying over the National Forest and Public School Zones dropping warfarin Willy Nilly. Agent Orange.

If implemented, I think it is gonna be authorized to be legal and available for property owners (who have a vested interest in protecting their property). I am not so worried about the private land owner. I am worried more worried about the Government screwing it up. I am sure the National Forests will have trained contractors who will administer it. I am also sure that there will be some mistakes and collateral damage, but I prefer the indigous critters over pigs. So if the effects become too harsh we stop and try something different.

Hogs are significantly destroying the natural order of things They were brought over by man...this is a man made disaster. Unfortunately it will likely require a man made solution. I hate the idea too. Hunting will not solve the problem. If the South ignores the problem, 20 years from now we might not have many of the critters we enjoy in the wild today...our legacy.

One last comment, as sportsmen, we know especially how effective we can be at supporting the comeback of indigenous animals whose numbers are in decline. The Whitetailed deer is a good example. More recently the Bald Eagle. Many other examples... I guess we kinda screwed up the T-Rex, but I think that was global warming.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Correct . How anyone can see it any other way is beyond me. Especially someone calling themselves a sportsman or outdoorsman. Sad

I agree. Not many sportsmen left, and even fewer woodsmen.

Nowadays they like to be referred to as "killers".

Mako22

BANNED
Correct . How anyone can see it any other way is beyond me. Especially someone calling themselves a sportsman or outdoorsman. Sad

I don't call myself either, in fact all I call myself is a deer hunter. I am concerned about hogs though and am tired of them in my hunting woods. It looks like Texas has found a way to get rid of them and I think Georgia should look into it as well.

LittleDrummerBoy

The Sodium Nitrite as stated above seems to be a good option, certainly better than Warfarin (Coumadin)

They are a long way (est 5 years minimum) before the challenges in sodium nitrate are worked out and it is approved for use. What measures of effective control do you suggest in the meantime?

Further, there is convincing evidence that most wildlife control problems are best mitigated with a layered approach (many allowed methods). Silver bullets (single solutions) are almost always ineffective.

Allowing a variety of control methods creates a redundancy where other methods are available if the silver bullet proves ineffective either because it does not work or because it is too expensive/labor intensive to apply over the needed area/time/etc.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I don't call myself either, in fact all I call myself is a deer hunter. I am concerned about hogs though and am tired of them in my hunting woods. It looks like Texas has found a way to get rid of them and I think Georgia should look into it as well.

It's a stupid idea, period. There are so many scenarios of how this can go wrong. From water sources to the risk of non target animals. Australia did this and had success. But comparing Australia to Texas is comparing apples to tea made in China. Australia is 10 times the size of Texas with fewer people than Texas and is largely more remote than Texas. Texas also has more hunters than hunters in the whole country of Australia. The hogs in Australia have done WAY more damage to the country than what is happening in Texas and was a last ditch effort.

I hate Coyotes and the damage they do but I would never be ok with poison to eliminate them or even put a dent in their population.

If GA attempts it, I'll be there to stand-up against it along with a lot of other folks too. Poisoning the woods is not the answer.

Last edited:

Mako22

BANNED
It's a stupid idea, period. There are so many scenarios of how this can go wrong. From water sources to the risk of non target animals. Australia did this and had success. But comparing Australia to Texas is comparing apples to tea made in China. Australia is 10 times the size of Texas with fewer people than Texas and is largely more remote than Texas. Texas also has more hunters than hunters in the whole country of Australia. The hogs in Australia have done WAY more damage to the country than what is happening in Texas and was a last ditch effort.

I hate Coyotes and the damage they do but I would never be ok with poison to eliminate them or even put a dent in their population.

If GA attempts it, I'll be there to stand-up against it along with a lot of other folks too. Poisoning the woods is not the answer.

Ok what is the answer then?

fountain

It will sure get rid of em. We used to have a lot on our stretch of the river until this happened on a local farm down river.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Ok what is the answer then?

Not poisoning our woods! And yet you start a thread about "impact" in the woods.. You don't care to make shooting lanes but you are ok with "mass" posioning.. You can't have everything, which is it???

I like to just a hunt a spot exactly the way it is, all natural and not tamper with the vegetation or setting by cutting shooting lanes and such. I feel I'm being less intrusive into the deer's environment,

And you are for killing hogs by polluting the masses..

Studies have shown coyotes have a knack for regurgitating and getting poison out of their system

The same crowd that is for poisoning our woods will have a new problem. An increase of predators in the same area will warrant a new problem! A new problem of predators that are feeding off an abundance of food. When more food is abundant predators increase. That is fact! Proven!

Last edited:

doesplitter

Hog problems are easily summed up. Person A says I have a hog problem. Person B says I will come help you with it. Person A says not on my land or lease. I'd would rather poison them.

Last Minute

Just turn a bunch of cougars loose that'll fix your problem. We were covered up in hogs down here any size or color you wanted. Went from seeing heards to basically none...the cats mowed them down and are working on our deer now

Latest posts