Qtr

Big Foot

QTR - quality time remaining - a friend had put a name to what I've been feeling since turning 50. Our days and nights are truly limited here in this broken world. More determined than ever to make the time remaining count all the more. One constant has been family and friends - those of us that "know" how blessed we are have this in common. Forums can be good and bad, it's easy to plug in some words without knowing how hurtful they can be to others....but to not be true to yourself by living in the open and honest your QTR is truly missing the QUALITY. Slowing down comes natural as we age, but smelling the roses takes a concerted effort...

Had a bad stretch of 12 funerals in 2 years of close family and friends back a few years ago (one nephew stated can everyone just stop dying already) - GETS your attention

54 years young :cheers:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Once you hit 50, the reality sets in that you`re probably not gonna be able to turn that hourglass over again and see it empty the top. The older I get, the more precious life becomes, and I try to make everyday count. Live life to the fullest, and don`t just exist. Our days are numbered. Make the most of each one while you can.

Cmp1

BANNED
I see too many people our age becoming more cynical,,,, I'm not one of them,,,, but my buddy sure is,,,, it drives me crazy,,,,

sinclair1

I have my plan to enjoy life in place. I came from a Rough
Neck town where working, drinking, smoking and bar fights were quality. Most can't do anything at 50 except sit on the sofa and drink beer, and they are dying early, but I can't say they didn't do exactly what they wanted in life.
:cheers:

It's hard to determine who is covering the feelings of losing out or who are really happy just existing.

A quality life is free, you just need to learn how to find it.

Calling me to bail you out, does lower my quality some.:bounce:

Cmp1

BANNED
I have my plan to enjoy life in place. I came from a Rough
Neck town where working, drinking, smoking and bar fights were quality. Most can't do anything at 50 except sit on the sofa and drink beer, and they are dying early, but I can't say they didn't do exactly what they wanted in life.
:cheers:

It's hard to determine who is covering the feelings of losing out or who are really happy just existing.

A quality life is free, you just need to learn how to find it.

Calling me to bail you out, does lower my quality some.:bounce:

Well said, sin1,,,, I just don't understand how someone becomes cynical,,,,

3ringer

Who ever dies with the most toys does not win. Who ever dies after living life to the fullest wins. My parents save every nickel. They won't go anywhere. I have a co worker who brags on how much vacation time he has accumulated. He says he doesn't need to take vacations. I love taking trips and having a great time. I wish I could go more than I do. I look forward to retiring and traveling.

T-N-T

I'm giving an honest effort now
In debt, working hard and playing hard.
I won't save every nickle for a "one day, or a hopefully I'll....."
I'm doing most what I want now. I have plenty of time to pay off the camper and truck that pulls it to my vacation destinations. If I don't have time to pay it off, well then I used it young and saving for golden years wouldn't have worked out anyways.
I hope that when I'm old and only feel like sitting on the porch half the time that I have no regrets about things I didn't do.

sinclair1

I'm giving an honest effort now
In debt, working hard and playing hard.
I won't save every nickle for a "one day, or a hopefully I'll....."
I'm doing most what I want now. I have plenty of time to pay off the camper and truck that pulls it to my vacation destinations. If I don't have time to pay it off, well then I used it young and saving for golden years wouldn't have worked out anyways.
I hope that when I'm old and only feel like sitting on the porch half the time that I have no regrets about things I didn't do.

Same here, I was a saving fool until I realized what I was gambling. We are pretty much debt free and enjoying life NOW!
I watched my dad get struck down with Alzheimer's with a huge "gonna do" list. Turns out when you get in that shape, a million is the same as a dollar.

When you really focus on doing what life has to offer,the ones focused only on saving until that day they get 70 will open a can of hateraide on you in a minute, but I never really understood why.
The ones who are still alive can rub it in my face when I am working at walmarks broke as a joke at 75, if we both make it ......let's not mention how all that big money could also get distributed to the ones who didn't save like they did in the future.

I already know we can't maintain these property taxes and insurance on the neato stuff we are enjoying now when I hang up the cleats. I also know I will have neato stories to tell the young bucks at the walmarks. Life is good...at the moment, no guarantee on tomorrow.

It's a gamble either way and only the person can decide, unless he just miserable and can't find happiness in gambling for later or enjoying now.

The ones who save for later and put no thought in living longer really puzzle me. If you're going to put off life to save for later, why risk laters health. :pop: that's a crummy plan imo

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Sinclair, you need to come down to God`s Country and follow me around for a spell. It won`t be hard to do because I`m kinda slow nowadays, but I have more fun than I deserve. And Life is forevermore good, you hear? :cheers:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Get some!

sinclair1

Sinclair, you need to come down to God`s Country and follow me around for a spell. It won`t be hard to do because I`m kinda slow nowadays, but I have more fun than I deserve. And Life is forevermore good, you hear? :cheers:

:cheers: You would be surprised how many Nicisms are in my plan to live and not exist. I just flipflopped my timeline to enjoy the middle more than the later, but enjoying the ride the whole time :cool:

riverbank

I'm 29, and right there with y'all. I don't know why but for the past 2 or 3 years I have been heavily thinking about how good I have it. We are poor and struggle from paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes we might have to call and ask if we can be a little late on a bill. Heck a couple of years ago we had no power. Bathed in the Creek behind the house for a week straight. Almost lost the house and everything we are working so hard for. We're trying our best to buy a small farm and man it is taking everything we got to make it work. Sometimes I still get so frustrated that I want to say forget it and find something else that we can afford a little better, but this little bitty rundown fixer upper house and this little 13 acres would be a dream come true for us. So we're here for the duration, no matter how tough it gets. When I stop and look at the things that truly matter I've actually got it pretty dang good. I've got a roof over my head, a bed to lay in, a good woman that I've been with since I was 20. She straightened my crazy butt up and showed me what life and real love was all about, and she waits on me like I'm the last man on earth. I've got an able body, I can get up and work, and ain't afraid to do so. There's lots of things I could go on and on about that most folks (including me) take for granted.....when the fact is we should be very thankful just to be able to wake up and put our boots on in the morning.

Cmp1

BANNED
I'm 29, and right there with y'all. I don't know why but for the past 2 or 3 years I have been heavily thinking about how good I have it. We are poor and struggle from paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes we might have to call and ask if we can be a little late on a bill. Heck a couple of years ago we had no power. Bathed in the Creek behind the house for a week straight. Almost lost the house and everything we are working so hard for. We're trying our best to buy a small farm and man it is taking everything we got to make it work. Sometimes I still get so frustrated that I want to say forget it and find something else that we can afford a little better, but this little bitty rundown fixer upper house and this little 13 acres would be a dream come true for us. So we're here for the duration, no matter how tough it gets. When I stop and look at the things that truly matter I've actually got it pretty dang good. I've got a roof over my head, a bed to lay in, a good woman that I've been with since I was 20. She straightened my crazy butt up and showed me what life and real love was all about, and she waits on me like I'm the last man on earth. I've got an able body, I can get up and work, and ain't afraid to do so. There's lots of things I could go on and on about that most folks (including me) take for granted.....when the fact is we should be very thankful just to be able to wake up and put our boots on in the morning.

Gratefulness is what it is all about,,,, and boy would I love to be 29 again,,,,

riverbank

I ain't ashamed to admit any of it either. We're broke because we have set a goal and if we don't succeed it sure won't be from a lack of trying. When we was without power it was a real bummer, but it brought some humbleness to us and we made the best out of it. Cooked and made coffee over a fire, spent every night with candlelight. And man is there really something special about a beautiful woman nekkid in the Creek. :)

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

You`re well off, and far from poor, in my estimation. :cheers:

pbradley

I need a nap.

Capt Quirk

For my 50th BDay, I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Been 2 ys now, and I just came back from the Cancer Center today with a clean bill of health... and I'm fully convinced that The Devil made a deal with someone, just to keep my out of there! I can't do half as much as I could 10 years ago, but I still plug along and do what I shouldn't be able too. I still have so much more that needs to be done, before I can think about taking a long nap.