Where do y'all buy tools?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Growing up all my dad ever bought was Craftsman. I'm not really close to a Sears, and it seems like the quality is gone now anyway. Not looking to get professional grade stuff, but not looking for the harbor freight stuff either. I've got a few socket sets from Lowe's and the kobalt tools seem good, but would like more of an automotive selection of tools, not just basic sockets and wrenches.

T-N-T

Pawn shops are a great source.

Some times. But they sell guns too if the tools are lacking

1gr8bldr

Some of the Harbor Freight speciality tools are fine. Bearing drivers, pullers, etc, things you rarely use

Artfuldodger

GearWrench, Armstrong, Proto, Stanley, are all in the medium price range. Some of these are made by the Apex Tool Group.
Klein, Channellock, Cresent, Irwin Vise Grip pliers, Allen, etc.

If you want to get into vintage brands, search the flea markets for Bonney, Herbrand, Williams, New Britian, Utica, S-K, Husky, Blackhawk, Bluegrass, and a few more I'm sure I'm overlooking.

I've got a few Snap-on tools. I think their cheaper line is Bluepoint. Other tool truck brands are Matco, Mac, and National.
I can understand buying them if you are a mechanic working in a garage. They have great customer service.

Last edited:

ryanh487

I do all the work on my jeep with harbor freight tools. knock on wood, but nothing has broke yet. I don't use them heavily, just a few times a year for minor repairs and upgrades. A whole set of wrenches or sockets is cheaper than just 1 or 2 sockets at home depot or lowes. I also have their 21 gallon air compressor and 750 ft lbs impact wrench, which were a life saver.

Artfuldodger

Disston hand saws, Plumb hammers, Ridgid pipe wrenches, Klein side cutters, Ideal wire cutters, Imp tubing cutters, Malco snips, etc.

Most of the Lenox branded tools look pretty good.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I do all the work on my jeep with harbor freight tools. knock on wood, but nothing has broke yet. I don't use them heavily, just a few times a year for minor repairs and upgrades. A whole set of wrenches or sockets is cheaper than just 1 or 2 sockets at home depot or lowes. I also have their 21 gallon air compressor and 750 ft lbs impact wrench, which were a life saver.

I have one of of their Oscillating Multi Power Tools, side/angle grinders and one of their die/end grinders. They both work pretty good for the occasional use that I have used them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
GearWrench, Armstrong, Proto, Stanley, are all in the medium price range. Some of these are made by the Apex Tool Group.
Klein, Channellock, Cresent, Irwin Vise Grip pliers, Allen, etc.

If you want to get into vintage brands, search the flea markets for Bonney, Herbrand, Williams, New Britian, Utica, S-K, Husky, Blackhawk, Bluegrass, and a few more I'm sure I'm overlooking.

I've got a few Snap-on tools. I think there cheaper line is Bluepoint. Other tool truck brands are Matco, Mac, and National.
I can understand buying them if you are a mechanic working in a garage. They have great customer service.

Armstrong use to be good stuff, now not so much. Armstrong, Stanley, Craftsman, and a couple others are made by a company called Danaher now, and are not what they were 10 years ago. Adequate, but not great.

Most Apex stuff is top of the line. Wiss, Apex, Irwin, Crescent... all good stuff.

SnapOn is based on the name. You pay a premium for the name, but you are buying a great tool. If you make your living with it, maybe it is worth the price, but not for the handyman.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Armstrong use to be good stuff, now not so much. Armstrong, Stanley, Craftsman, and a couple others are made by a company called Danaher now, and are not what they were 10 years ago. Adequate, but not great.

Most Apex stuff is top of the line. Wiss, Apex, Irwin, Crescent... all good stuff.

SnapOn is based on the name. You pay a premium for the name, but you are buying a great tool. If you make your living with it, maybe it is worth the price, but not for the handyman.

Danaher bought the company I work for about 5-6 years ago. Lol

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
they bought SK tools too, after SK filed bankruptcy

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
If it's sold on a truck, it's way more than I need, I just would like to get a nice shade tree mechanic tool collection built up. That last 10 years I've survived off small 30 piece tool kits and buying individual tools as needed. I've been doing alot of work on my old truck lately, and I spent alot of time looking g for a tool I don't have, and or trying g to do a job with the wrong tool.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
they bought SK tools too, after SK filed bankruptcy

They are a massive company most folks have never heard of, but chances are, most folks have used a product of theirs.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
What I have done is buy sets that are drive size specific. In other words, I have a set of 1/4 drive tools, a set of 3/8 drive and a set of 1/2 drive. I try to get them with SAE and Metric in the same box, so when I go to work on something, I have about any socket/ratchet/extension setup I would need.

Then I bought wrenches in sets where I can keep them all together. They have some EVA foam setups now that are great.
I like the ratcheting wrenches too. I have the straight ones that you flip over to reverse, because they only ratchet one way, that I use mostly. I have the flip lever reversing ones too, but very seldom use them. I don't need the offset they offer very much.

ryanh487

Ratcheting wrenches are definitely a great help for working on cars in addition to your normal metric and sae wrench sets. As are metric and SAE sockets with all drive sizes, with a set of extensions and deep sockets as well. torque wrenches of all drive sizes are great to have. One of my new favorite tools though is an 18v rayobi 1/2" impact wrench with the high amp hour batteries. That thing makes removing bolts super fast and easy, and is great for removing lug nuts quickly as well (always hand tighten and torque to spec when putting them back on though).

Jack Ryan

Snap on, they say is great.

Snap On IS great.

I only buy Snap On and Craftsman but SO is by far the better tool.

Bought a lot off the SO truck, work bought some, but I bought a LOT second hand from retirees at work, at yard and garage sales, estate sales and auctions.

I'll still pick up a bargain on a quality Snap On tool when I see it right in front of me. I'm pretty much set up but I got a couple kids, you kids don't have brains enough to know or appreciate anything with any real quality unless it's the cheapest thing in Walmart. If you know how to buy it, you can get the absolute BEST there is for less money than that cheapo Buffalo brand junk.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Ratcheting wrenches are definitely a great help for working on cars in addition to your normal metric and sae wrench sets. As are metric and SAE sockets with all drive sizes, with a set of extensions and deep sockets as well. torque wrenches of all drive sizes are great to have. One of my new favorite tools though is an 18v rayobi 1/2" impact wrench with the high amp hour batteries. That thing makes removing bolts super fast and easy, and is great for removing lug nuts quickly as well (always hand tighten and torque to spec when putting them back on though).

I've had the Ryobi 1+ for many many years, I did upgrade my drive to the lime green lithium, and the new batteries still work with the old set of tools, including the hex bit drive impact. It's not very small, but works great on smaller bolts. I did look at the ½" drive impact they make. Seems to have great reviews. I've only got a 3 gallon pancake air compressor for small jobs and an air impact gun isn't recommend for those.

95g atl

CRAFTSMAN on sale only.
You can order online.
I have many Craftsman hand tools.

Also have sets of harbor freight to leave in vehicles, hunt club, and my garage for light jobs.

Harbor freight wrenches seem to be pretty decent for the price , esp if you get them on sale. Just use for light and medium duty.

Backlasher82

Snap On IS great.

I only buy Snap On and Craftsman but SO is by far the better tool.

Bought a lot off the SO truck, work bought some, but I bought a LOT second hand from retirees at work, at yard and garage sales, estate sales and auctions.

I'll still pick up a bargain on a quality Snap On tool when I see it right in front of me. I'm pretty much set up but I got a couple kids, you kids don't have brains enough to know or appreciate anything with any real quality unless it's the cheapest thing in Walmart. If you know how to buy it, you can get the absolute BEST there is for less money than that cheapo Buffalo brand junk.

Snap-On is the best, you can tell the difference. Check Ebay, you can find some deals on SO if you are patient.