Its time for our first chigger and tick thread !!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This thread is an effort to help prevent someone from posting " I got eat up by chiggers or ticks"

I am still "coating" my skin in Repel 40% deet and spraying home brew permethrin all over my clothing every time I step out of the truck. Have only had 2 ticks so far.

It is always a good thing to post up what each of us does to prevent the disaster of multiple chigger bites. Yall be sure to do something to protect yourself. Them itty bitty itchy darn ticks are bad this season.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Are they? I wouldn`t know, even though I`m still in the woods and swamps nearly every day. :)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Yep, my grandkids been getting them in the yards.

Tick and redbug free since 1978. And I`m in the woods a lot, all year long.

And my remedy is a lot cheaper than any other out there.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Yep. There`s a bunch of tablespoon fulls in a bottle of apple cider vinegar. All you need is one a day.

Just curious, how much do all those chemical keeper-offers cost? And who knows what long term damage does it do to the human body? Especially to children?

Vinegar ain`t gonna hurt you.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yep. There`s a bunch of tablespoon fulls in a bottle of apple cider vinegar. All you need is one a day.

Just curious, how much do all those chemical keeper-offers cost? And who knows what long term damage does it do to the human body? Especially to children?

Nic you and I have discussed this before, but for the sake of this bug warning thread I will say it again.

The vinegar and pickle juice method doesn't work for everyone. I am one of those whose body emits a high level of carbon dioxide and uric acid something or other that makes us more attractive to insects. Skeeters, ticks, chiggers, all Gods little critters come to me by the dozens. I also have diabetes which the medical community is now stating as another reason bugs are attracted. So folks like me have to continue with the chemical "bath" to keep critters away.

kingfish

I have found over the years that the lightest weight bug tamer type pants, the kind they sell in the Cabelas catalog Spring Turkey edition, put on, tucked into socks and then regular hunting pants over, putting my snake boots over the pant legs has really helped me keep tick, chigger and redbug free. My hunting buddies tease me to this day about "suiting up" before going into the woods, but it has really helped me. It's not hot, and it lets me concentrate on more important things like snakes, gators and now bears.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I hate chiggers and seed ticks so bad that I am not willing to take a chance on vinegar. I have not had either on me in years. I mix my own permethrin spray with the 10% mixture available at Tractor Supply. One oz. to twenty oz. of water works like a champ. I'll mix up a bottle and leave it on a table in camp. Eight or ten guys will use and the bottle will last for a couple of years.

Kris87

I've used Sawyers exclusively for the last few years and have never had one on me that wasn't dead. I always wear rubber boots, tuck in my pants, tuck in my shirt, tight belt, and come home tick and chigger free. I do my best to avoid tall grassy areas if I can. A little prevention goes a long ways IMO.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Just curious, how much do all those chemical keeper-offers cost?

I do my spray ritual anytime I am in the woods except from late November through February. I estimate I spend $40-$50 on spray every year. But I keep a can in my truck, wife's car, golf cart, 4 wheeler, house, lake house, etc.

Gaswamp

a pickle a day works for me

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Vinegar is like a shot of hot moon shine but it works for me. I also do the Repel spray of my clothes. Get ate up one time by them lil' debils and you will do anything to prevent a repeat performance.

Rich M

Yep, my grandkids been getting them in the yards.

My sister in law was playing with her grandchildren this past weekend - ended up with 2 bullseye rashes on the same leg. She started her 6 weeks of antibods yesterday at $130/10 day supply.

She thought they hit chiggers, not so much, musta been seed ticks.

ripplerider

I've been doing the shot of vinegar in a glass of V-8 for several years. I almost never get chiggers sometimes find a tick crawling on me but very rarely attached. Mosquitoes will fly past everybody else to feast on me though. I very rarely use bug spray. I worry about side effects too. I didnt even use it much last summer in Wyoming where the skeeters, deer and horseflys would nearly bout carry you away. You get used to it.

DaveLB

Does the vinegar approach do anything for mosquitoes or yellow flies?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Does the vinegar approach do anything for mosquitoes or yellow flies?

Nossir, it does not. They`ll still eat you alive and so will sand gnats.

Latest posts