Make America sober again!

GA native

Have you seen these ads on TV?

My question is: when was America ever sober?

Because the 18th amendment was so effective...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
America is probably more sober now than it has ever been. Distilling and winemaking was one of the foundations of the economy back in the early days, and whiskey used to be included in soldiers' daily rations. The Lewis and Clark expedition carried barrels and barrels of it. When George Washington first instituted a tax on whiskey, it started an armed rebellion.

GA native

I have my doubts about more sober than ever before. With doctors cornering the pill pushing industry, I'd say the favorite buzz has changed.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
The push is to make pot legal. Like that is a better alternative.

This left wing garbage makes me wanna puke

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Never should have gave them the vote..............In the twenties many people had a bucket of beer for lunch...........tolerance for alcohol much higher up north............

Lukikus2

Just call them for "suspicious activity". Doesn't matter what. They will show up for your good. No evidence needed for the call. Just suspicious.

T-N-T

And the LSD and such in the 60's and 70's?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I come from a long and distinguished line of turpentiners, moonshiners, and hog thieves out of the Low Country and east Georgia. Proud of it too.

Seriously.

Big7

The Oracle
I looked at "Moonshiner's" TV show last night for a while.

Two questions:

Why copper instead of stainless?
I understand the "worm" needing to be copper
but the rest?

How much can you make for "personal" consumption
before you get in it with the G-Man?

And, I had a buddy get some green apples from my the trees in the mid 90's. Made some good stuff.

Used the same still as what he called "the wine separator"
where he would buy cheap jug and box wine and "separate"
it into high test.

I was scared as a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs so
the only time it seen it was empty..

And both finished results were really good.
Better than any store bought. I did "see" that.

He died in 1999, so I can't ask him.

BeerThirty

Having moved to Georgia from "up north" 3-yrs ago, I still can't get over the fact that dry counties still actually exist...

BriarPatch99

How much can you make for "personal" consumption
before you get in it with the G-Man?

Zero distilled ...

Beer & wine ... 200 gallons per year...

BriarPatch99

I come from a long and distinguished line of turpentiners, moonshiners, and hog thieves out of the Low Country and east Georgia. Proud of it too.

Seriously.

About the same family lineage ... Moonshiners, Gamblers, Women chasers ... and if be needed ... hog, cow & chicken thieves .... Just on the South side Of the Altamaha ....

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Don't know much past my granddaddy on my dads side. But my mothers side is a different story... Grandpa and all my uncle's were shiners around Talladega Alabama back in the day. My great uncle was a bad man for sure as he went to Alcatraz for a long list of things including car theft and murder. He was one of the ones that tried to escape and killed a guard with a hammer!

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Don't know much past my granddaddy on my dads side. But my mothers side is a different story... Grandpa and all my uncle's were shiners around Talladega Alabama back in the day. My great uncle was a bad man for sure as he went to Alcatraz for a long list of things including car theft and murder. He was one of the ones that tried to escape and killed a guard with a hammer!

Wow !!! :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I come from a long line of likker makers myself.

And Big7, as BriarPatch said, it is very illegal to distill any amount of liquor. Like felony illegal.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Sounds like some of my kin around Oak Park and Nunez. One of my Uncles was taking his wagon to town and a man was riding with him. The man made some crude comment about the Lady my Uncle was going to marry. Uncle stabbed him 30 times, cut his throat, pushed him off the wagon into the road, got down and stomped him into the dust, and left his body there in the road.

This was somewhere around 1910 or so, give or take a year. Them Kirby`s, Williamson`s, and Corbin`s didn`t take much sass off folks.