Buck with massive open wound

releehweoj

Took this buck a couple of weeks ago. He dropped in his tracks and when I got to him and rolled him over I see this giant wound in the middle of his chest between his front legs. Looks very old. Took it to a processor who did not seem concerned. Anybody else seen something like this or can guess what happened to him?

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 2,462
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,463

PappyHoel

Almost looks like a broad head sliced it open.

Bam Bam

Walking Dead Buck????

Killer Kyle

It's hard to come up with a plausable guess as to how the heck that could have happened. Freaky!

You think possibly he was fighting, and a buck got him from underneath. A tine maybe hooked under the skin. He falls or lunges one way, and the other buck goes another way, and it rips? I know that sounds like a fantastic story, but it's the only guess I've got. Sometimes bucks will try to gouge from underneath when fighting. I can't think of anything else.

If it were me, I'd have laid down and died. That had to hurt!

Josh B

Same happened to me once but would had green puss. Processor said it was common so I gave meat to my uncle. He is still alive so I guess its ok.

releehweoj

The buck seemed healthy otherwise. Hard to believe snagging a barbed wire fence or other could have caused this kind of wound. A little pus visible around the edges but no real signs of infection. Processor said she had seen similar wounds and had no concerns about the condition of the meat.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter

I agree. Looks just like a road rash to me. The removal of the hide looks too perfect to be anything else. Plus, look around the edges, see the missing hair? Ya never know, though. Only he knew the truth. :D

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Same happened to me once but would had green puss. Processor said it was common so I gave meat to my uncle. He is still alive so I guess its ok.

Glad your uncle survived the poisoning attempt. You really shouldn't confess to crimes on the intrewebs. :p