***General Discussion Weather Thread #9 2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.

StriperrHunterr

CMC is even worse for the 28th. Not only are they all over the place on what, where, and how much or none, they are all over the place on when. It tells me that it isn't a valid potential yet and we need to be about 7 days out to get a better grasp on this.

If it becomes as frustrating to nail down as that last Freak Storm anomaly I will have to just go ahead and shave my head to hide the bare patches that are left on my head from pulling my hair out.
Suuure, pulling it out. We just had lunch, I know the troof.

All I ask is that it hold off until the 28th. I'll be coming back home on the 27th and need clear roads.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I have to apologize, I stated it was the CMC. It is actually the CFS. Word of caution to deniers of the CFS, it actually has performed well this winter thus far, for a long range model. The other models have come into alignment with it closer to the time of events.

Attachments

• dfs 122817.png
    dfs 122817.png
    319.7 KB · Views: 704

Priest

This was at NOON from Kennesaw to Canton.

I'm pulling the CCTV footage from outside at work over the 24 hours and will compile a video of it as well.

Priest

You made it!

I did, but it got hairy at the end on all season tires.

I'm so glad we shod my wife's truck with Blizzak tires for the winter. She drove through worse with no problems. I drove her's Saturday morning early and pulled trees out of the road while those tires bit into the ice and snow.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you didn't live in East Alabama I might consider it, although that Jambalaya offer is mighty tempting. Let me think about it.

I know how to make this mess stop. I practice Murphy's Law and am quite successful with it. All I gotta do is bring the new toboggan bought after the 2010 storm out and show it to the sky and it will stop immediatly.:bounce:

I thought he was talking about a sock cap.............

I think toboggan is a fancy synonym for sled..... or in my neck of the woods growing up an old car hood or a big cardboard box!

That's the Yankee in him coming out!!:rolleyes::bounce::bounce:

nickel back

I have to apologize, I stated it was the CMC. It is actually the CFS. Word of caution to deniers of the CFS, it actually has performed well this winter thus far, for a long range model. The other models have come into alignment with it closer to the time of events.

Go ahead and give it the NW jog

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
346 AM EST Tue Dec 12 2017

...Snow showers today followed by bitterly cold wind chills
tonight across portions of the North Carolina mountains...

.Northwesterly winds will increase behind a passing strong cold
front today and continue through tonight. Upsloping of moisture
along the Tennessee line will lead to periods of snow showers in
addition to gusty winds during the day today. Then, as snow
showers taper to a few flurries, falling temperatures combined
with these gusty winds will yield bitterly cold wind chills across
portions of the high terrain.

NCZ048-051-052-121700-
/O.CON.KGSP.WW.Y.0011.171212T0900Z-171213T1200Z/
/O.CON.KGSP.WC.Y.0004.171213T0300Z-171213T1200Z/
Madison-Swain-Haywood-
Including the cities of Faust, Mars Hill, Marshall, Walnut,
Allenstand, Hot Springs, Luck, Alarka, Almond, Bryson City,
Luada, Wesser, Waynesville, Waterville, Canton, Cruso,
and Cove Creek
346 AM EST Tue Dec 12 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST
WEDNESDAY...
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING
TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...

* WHAT...Snow showers and very cold wind chills expected above
3500 feet. Plan on slippery road conditions, including during
the morning commute on Tuesday. Total snow accumulations of one
to two inches are expected. Above 3500 feet, expect wind chills
to range from 5 above zero to 5 below zero.

* WHERE...Madison, Swain and Haywood Counties.

* WHEN...For the Winter Weather Advisory, until 7 AM EST
Wednesday. For the Wind Chill Advisory, from 10 PM this evening
to 7 AM EST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at
times. The cold wind chills will cause frostbite in as little
as 30 minutes to exposed skin.

32 and snowing here right now. 16 tonight with 26 mph wind gusts at my elevation. Yay.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody want to go camping at 5,000' in the Smokies tonight? It's a different world up there.

Today

Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 21 by 5pm. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight

A slight chance of snow showers before 11pm, then a slight chance of flurries between 11pm and 2am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 10. Wind chill values between -5 and 5. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Anybody want to go camping at 5,000' in the Smokies tonight? It's a different world up there.

I just changed my mind. I went outside for a bit at lunch. It's like 30 degrees with a 15mph wind. It's a might airish.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Updates ?

Sure. Snownado's are real.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">❄️?️ SNOWNADO?! ❄️?️<br>A hiker captured this stunning moment as snow devil formed at the Tatra National Park in Poland​. pic.twitter.com/I6Ybx4GHOL</p>— WeatherNation (@WeatherNation) December 12, 2017</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

snarlinbear

Come on guys. It's colder than a witch's heart . There has to be something going on. Get the beagles dancing or something. I'm craving another dose of natures winter beauty, just prepare for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.