What event is Jesus speaking of?

Spineyman

Jhn 2:19

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
About the temple
Jesus said it would be destroyed, not by whom
Mat 24:1

And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2
And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Mat 24:3

And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world
Mat 24:4

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Why did you assert if God or Jesus would destroy it?

I don't understand your question but we are speaking about two entirely different events. One is the crucifixion, the other is the destruction of the Temple where they had to make blood sacrifices for atonement. Which did in fact happen in 70 AD and has been recorded by historians as such.

hobbs27

Marketgunner...
Luke 21:20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. 22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

The Temple destruction was known as the days of vengeance.

1) vengeance on who from whom?

2) The only other Temple destruction 587bc by the Babylonians was called a day of the Lord. It was prophesied it was coming.. God was in control of it, just as Jesus was orchestrating the 70ad day of the Lord which also was prophecies fulfilled... Actually all things written were fulfilled.

Last edited:

hobbs27

PS. 94:1 O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself.

Artfuldodger

I don't understand your question but we are speaking about two entirely different events. One is the crucifixion, the other is the destruction of the Temple where they had to make blood sacrifices for atonement. Which did in fact happen in 70 AD and has been recorded by historians as such.

That's the way I see it. Two different events.

marketgunner

yes, when the verse reference was not used earlier
i assumed incorrectly

gordon 2

Revelation 3:YLT This is to the church in Philadelphia in the first century. What hour of trial did Christ keep them from that was about to come upon all the world?

10 `Because thou didst keep the word of my endurance, I also will keep thee from the hour of the trial that is about to come upon all the world, to try those dwelling upon the earth.

11 Lo, I come quickly, be holding fast that which thou hast, that no one may receive thy crown.

The hour of trail that is about to come on all the world is the hour that the Good News is visited on all men of the world and they endure in the way or they don't. ( The time of choice to walk in friendship with God is quick in one's life in comparison to all time in an individual's life. AND! It is possible to fall away as a apostolic church so as to loose one's crown in heaven.)

These verses are very figurative and figuratively characteristic of the expressive device of Revelations. If Revelations was a piece of literary art, we would say the expression of the fabulous in it is used as device not to lie or trick the reader, but to emphasize the truth of a reality that is way beyond the common or extraordinary in moral importance and consequence: In this case it is that the God's judgement is in effect in the life of the church, in that the Good News is preached and the apostolic church ministers and the individuals as individuals persons and as individual members of the church must decide if they are to heed to it's ministry and continue in it or not.

Because of the magnitude of the event that it is possible for all men to walk with God again, because the effects of the curses of the fall are in the process of being remedied by God which has its beginning due to the life and death of Jesus and thus man is extricated from the catastrophe of the world of sin ----the issue of judgement is no small thing. A man/woman and members of the church ( member congregations) have a choice to be sown grain on the various consciences the world offers or the one that cleaves with God. And so from such choice all are judged.

hobbs27

Gordon,
I understand there's a lot of figurative language in Revelation. A lot of this figurative language is also used in Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, and other texts that include language that is apocalyptic language.

It's really interesting when one really thinks about it. John writes the letter to these seven churches in Asia concerning things which must shortly come to pass (Rev. 1:1) He writes it in a language that the studied Hebrew would interpret easily in their days. I think the understanding of this text was most important for the ones it was addressed to, for the time was near. Otherwise the entire text is out of context with ( things which MUST shortly pass).

gordon 2

Gordon,
I understand there's a lot of figurative language in Revelation. A lot of this figurative language is also used in Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, and other texts that include language that is apocalyptic language.

It's really interesting when one really thinks about it. John writes the letter to these seven churches in Asia concerning things which must shortly come to pass (Rev. 1:1) He writes it in a language that the studied Hebrew would interpret easily in their days. I think the understanding of this text was most important for the ones it was addressed to, for the time was near. Otherwise the entire text is out of context with ( things which MUST shortly pass).

The time was near because of there reasons I stated before. The time was near to all individuals and congregations.... still is. The language of Revelations is prophetic, but also... so it is within the new language of all Christians ( those who are to Christ) --- they know it or are unaware of it. The spiritual bifurcation you see between Christians and Jews, also takes place between Christian and christian... congregations and individuals can discontinue their fidelity within Christianity as it is ongoing demonstrably today. The hope of salvation resides in a lifespan today and not within the lists of generations. Things quickly come to pass today... comparatively....

Spineyman

Gordon,

Along with : these things must shortly take place and this generation shall not pass... You must look at it in the light of who it was actually written to and for what purpose for it to make sense and keep in context.

hobbs27

The time was near because of there reasons I stated before. The time was near to all individuals and congregations.... still is. The language of Revelations is prophetic, but also... so it is within the new language of all Christians ( those who are to Christ) --- they know it or are unaware of it. The spiritual bifurcation you see between Christians and Jews, also takes place between Christian and christian... congregations and individuals can discontinue their fidelity within Christianity as it is ongoing demonstrably today. The hope of salvation resides in a lifespan today and not within the lists of generations. Things quickly come to pass today... comparatively....

The apocalypse of Revelation Must shortly come to pass... But there's no real urgency here, the apocalypse will happen to every individual in every generation from soon to eternity?

marketgunner

The supposed timing of events regarding the generation of 30 AD and 70 AD destruction as the Final destruction of Israel and last prophecies has not occurred as prophesied. The book of Zechariah mentions even how Jerusalem will acknowledge and mourn for Jesus. Their Prophets will deny being Prophets and claim to be farmers.

They will turn to God correctly, All the nations will turn against Israel,

All this has not happened

gordon 2

The apocalypse of Revelation Must shortly come to pass... But there's no real urgency here, the apocalypse will happen to every individual in every generation from soon to eternity?

Does it not happen now for you and me? Are we confused as to what the life in Christ destroys? We are confused as to the heavenly city and the city of worms? I don't think so. All the nations do not have elements that gather to war against our city in every generation since I don't know when? ( For example the selfish-self-righteous who wax on one moral issue say abortion, but who think nothing of the preventable deaths of foreigners or fellow citizens from 4 to 100yrs old.) How about Christians who cannot go beyond the concepts that ownership must be promoted and protected except if it is something taken from the "weak" and conquered in that the weak and conquered have no such protection? For what city are they playing?

Last edited:

gordon 2

The supposed timing of events regarding the generation of 30 AD and 70 AD destruction as the Final destruction of Israel and last prophecies has not occurred as prophesied. The book of Zechariah mentions even how Jerusalem will acknowledge and mourn for Jesus. Their Prophets will deny being Prophets and claim to be farmers.

They will turn to God correctly, All the nations will turn against Israel,

All this has not happened

All nations are turned against Israel already in my book. Including the recent people who occupy Palestine today. Are the nations, especially to the new world as prime example, formed by the frame of the words of God, or the will of men to reach and decide what they should own?

So what is really in people's hearts to motivate the justifications of injustice?

Last edited:

hobbs27

But Jerusalem has not accepted God was Jesus

Physical Jerusalem has returned to the ashes she was built out of. The new bride (church) is the new Jerusalem which is the new bride of the covenant.. The old covenant has vanished and so has the bride of that covenant.

marketgunner

Jerusalem is not like the Lamb's bride but God has compared Jerusalem or the nation as unfaithful bride or harlot because of unbelief or as a bride that He is jealous of.

The saved church is the bride of Christ, or New Jerusalem descends for the Bride

hobbs27

Jerusalem is not like the Lamb's bride but God has compared Jerusalem or the nation as unfaithful bride or harlot because of unbelief or as a bride that He is jealous of.

The saved church is the bride of Christ, or New Jerusalem descends for the Bride

Yes.. The new Jerusalem (church) is the bride of Christ.

The old physical Jerusalem was the Harlot, she was put to death in divorce, and raised spiritually as the church.

marketgunner

no the Bride of Christ are believers, given a new Jerusalem, adorned as fine as a bride.

I think were are referred to as the bride before Heaven and the wife after