What event is Jesus speaking of?

hobbs27

Revelation 3:YLT This is to the church in Philadelphia in the first century. What hour of trial did Christ keep them from that was about to come upon all the world?

10 `Because thou didst keep the word of my endurance, I also will keep thee from the hour of the trial that is about to come upon all the world, to try those dwelling upon the earth.

11 Lo, I come quickly, be holding fast that which thou hast, that no one may receive thy crown.

Spineyman

The event that took place in 70AD, when Jesus came and destroyed the Temple. So they could not profane His sacrifice any longer! Jerusalem was destroyed and the Temple was utterly dismantled, not one stone was left upon another as per the prophesy!

Big7

The Oracle
Think he was on the "you can't discern"
the Bible "alone" trek.

Show me some Sola scriptura says you can.

Don't fret. You can't. ;)

Merry Christmas.

marketgunner

The event that took place in 70AD, when Jesus came and destroyed the Temple. So they could not profane His sacrifice any longer! Jerusalem was destroyed and the Temple was utterly dismantled, not one stone was left upon another as per the prophesy!

Did you mean Jesus Destroyed the temple? or the Romans

hobbs27

Think he was on the "you can't discern"
the Bible "alone" trek.

Show me some Sola scriptura says you can.

Don't fret. You can't. ;)

Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

hobbs27

couldn't agree more!

hobbs27

Jeremiah prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 bc. It was a day of the Lord when God's wrath would fall on the wicked.

Did God do that or the Babylonians?

marketgunner

Because you are not familiar with the ways the Greek root word is used, it is not only a age or 30 yr across a time

it can mean

fathered, birth, nativity

that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family

the several ranks of natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy

metaph. a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character

esp. in a bad sense, a perverse nation

the whole multitude of men living at the same time

an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33

so it can be applied horizontally acroos the same time. like a generation died in war

or vertically the entire similar race of ethnic or endowment,

Psa 14:5
There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.
Hebrew but the same idea

hobbs27

God prophesied and fulfilled the prophesy, by Romans or Babylonians

Jesus was not here and not his purpose

Oh... was not Jesus coming in the glory of the Father? Was not the destruction of the Temple refered to in Luke's Gospel as the days of vengeance?

hobbs27

God prophesied and fulfilled the prophesy, by Romans or Babylonians

Jesus was not here and not his purpose

So you agree Revelation was written before the Temple destruction?

Spineyman

So you agree Revelation was written before the Temple destruction?

According to my best information it was roughly about 68 or 69 AD when written and 70 AD when all was destroyed. The Apostle John was exiled on the Isle of Patmos!

Spineyman

Jesus in essence did. He uses wicked rulers and nations to chastise His unruly people. God used the Assyrians , 2 Kings 15:29; 16:7-9, Nebuchadnezzar ,Jeremiah 25:8,Habakkuk 1:5-11,Jeremiah 25:12, and as you see in Matthew 22:7, he calls them His armies to destroy the city. So yes Jesus did it!

marketgunner

Jesus is at the right hand of God today. I would assume he could have willed the Romans to destroy the temple.

but it would be more accurate to use God, Jesus came to seek and save.

Dispersion of the Jews and destruction of the Temple was God's plan from the beginning.

Spineyman

Jesus was referring to His body, they thought was the Temple

This is not referring to His body.
Matthew 24:1-2
24 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple. 2 And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”

marketgunner

This is not referring to His body.
Matthew 24:1-2
24 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple. 2 And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.�

Jhn 2:19

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

About the temple

Jesus said it would be destroyed, not by whom
Mat 24:1

And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2

And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Mat 24:3

And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world
Mat 24:4

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

Mat 24:5

For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Why did you assert if God or Jesus would destroy it?

Last edited:

Latest posts