Hunting Cabin Rentals

sureshot375

My friend and I are kicking around the idea of building some cabins in areas with a lot of deer leases and not a lot of housing options. I think an ideal setup would be a metal building with 4 bedrooms with bunkbeds, 3 or so bathrooms, and an open living/kitchen area with couches, a decent TV, and maybe even a pool table. It would also have a grill, fire pit, and other amenities for hanging out outside. It wouldn’t be fancy, just a comfortable place to stay while hunting.

Would this be appealing to those of you with leases out of town? If so, what county is your lease in?

It seems like this would be a good alternative to hotels or camping. I’m just gaging interest to start to run the number to see if it is economically viable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PappyHoel

Won't work in Georgia, folks are trying to kill 20 deer to feed their families. No extra money for cabin rentals.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have thought about the same. I thought about the sheds u buy and make rooms with bath area. Bunks. Have a skinning shed or fish cleaning area. Covered cooking area outside. We close to lake eufaula. Also camper hook ups.

swamp hunter

It would have to be 5 Star with Room Service and a Day Spa just to get us Rich Florida boys to look at the brochure..

transfixer

It might work near wma's , most guys that have a lease or pay to belong to a club will have their own camper or other arrangement.

But sometimes isn't feasible to tow a camper to a wma for a couple day hunt, especially those that are a long ways from home.

Rich Kaminski

You might want to give some consideration to hired help required to collect the rental fee, insure that people can get in who did pay and not anyone who didn't pay, critter control, wasp, yellow jacket and fireant control and then insurance in case someone is allergic to stings and a nest is found in the property (you would be liable). You would also need to negotiate long term leases or you woould be moving the structures often. Just think it through. I don't want to discourage you because it is a good idea,just make sure it is financially feasable and profitable.

tree cutter 08

It might work near wma's , most guys that have a lease or pay to belong to a club will have their own camper or other arrangement.

But sometimes isn't feasible to tow a camper to a wma for a couple day hunt, especially those that are a long ways from home.

This...... And something to consider is would be extremely seasonal. Great idea but don't think it would pan out on the $ end.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My friend and I are kicking around the idea of building some cabins in areas with a lot of deer leases and not a lot of housing options. I think an ideal setup would be a metal building with 4 bedrooms with bunkbeds, 3 or so bathrooms, and an open living/kitchen area with couches, a decent TV, and maybe even a pool table. It would also have a grill, fire pit, and other amenities for hanging out outside. It wouldn’t be fancy, just a comfortable place to stay while hunting.

Would this be appealing to those of you with leases out of town? If so, what county is your lease in?

It seems like this would be a good alternative to hotels or camping. I’m just gaging interest to start to run the number to see if it is economically viable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are onto a good idea !!

I say basic is better. Building heat and air, A hot shower, a way to cook, and decent bedding. Also need to consider parking to accommodate trucks towing trailers. Maybe a garbage hopper.

You may want to consider placing the cabins near lakes. This would give you potential renters/leasers for big game, small game, ducks, geese, fishing, etc.

I would suggest Lake Sinclair. Putnam, Greene, Hancock counties would be a good test IMO. Maybe Lincoln county over on the Clark Hill Lake area.

Maybe consider the larger portable buildings that can be brought in assembled.

The lakes in south Ga would add the possibility of gator hunters too. If you identify a test location be sure to talk the the planning and code folks before you make any investment.

Good Luck !!!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I think you are onto a good idea !!

I say basic is better. Building heat and air, A hot shower, a way to cook, and decent bedding. Also need to consider parking to accommodate trucks towing trailers. Maybe a garbage hopper.

You may want to consider placing the cabins near lakes. This would give you potential renters/leasers for big game, small game, ducks, geese, fishing, etc.

I would suggest Lake Sinclair. Putnam, Greene, Hancock counties would be a good test IMO. Maybe Lincoln county over on the Clark Hill Lake area.

Maybe consider the larger portable buildings that can be brought in assembled.

The lakes in south Ga would add the possibility of gator hunters too. If you identify a test location be sure to talk the the planning and code folks before you make any investment.

Good Luck !!!

I could rent our cabin at Lake Seminole all season long during gator and waterfowl season if I wanted to.

It`s just not worth the aggravation to me, plus we like it for ourselves.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Won't work in Georgia, folks are trying to kill 20 deer to feed their families. No extra money for cabin rentals.

Hahahaha. Frugal hunters. They'd be more apt to camp out in a cardboard box for the hunting season. Save that money and groceries.

walters

Idea

I think u would do better to build u a nice camp area with camper hook ups, the farmers do that down our way in Lincoln /wilkes co and make a killing.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think u would do better to build u a nice camp area with camper hook ups, the farmers do that down our way in Lincoln /wilkes co and make a killing.

He could do both

nmurph

I would go with large portable storage sheds. I wouldn't want something built into the ground that I couldn't move if the land is sold, the lease is lost, EHD wipes out deer in an area, etc...You've to to think about servicing the note during the other 9 months when there is no deer hunting...maybe rent them out as get-away weekend rentals.

Last edited:

The mtn man

This would probably be better, have anual fee, then you don't have to worry about seasonal tenants.

sureshot375

Thanks for all of the input.

It seems like having it on or near a lake or other body of water would raise interest and possible even generate income outside of hunting season.

swamp hunter

You can not run any Elec. inside unless it's Inspected...just sayin..