Pets At Hunting Camp

Jack Ryan

And all of this ties right back into the original question regarding pets at camp. Why not? It’s stories like these that you miss out on when they aren’t around. To me, life just ain’t the same without a dog around.

If I was PAYING for deer camp, it wouldn't be so I could come home with a bunch of dog stories.

Now rabbit or bird camp, fine. Not deer camp, not turkey camp. What's the point of bringing a dog to deer camp and chaining it to "the trailer"?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
The last Jack Russell I had was a mass of scar tissue from one end to the other by the time he died at 14. Almost all tooth scars from groundhogs, coons, possums, and other critters.

The wiener dog I have now, I got when he was about 7 weeks old. He would nearly fit in your shirt pocket he was so little. A couple nights after I brought him home, I took him outside to pee. There was a big possum sitting on the porch eating cat food. That little feller, who was about a tenth the size of the possum, went running over there and clamped down on the possum's tail. The possum took off down the porch steps, across the yard, and through the bushes dragging lil' Arlo, who was still clamped down on the end of his tail. I laughed until my ribs hurt. :bounce:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good dog.....No, Great dog!!!! :cool:

I would've given good $$$ to see that.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I haven't been in many leases, but the few I have been in I woulda preferred the company of dogs.

T-N-T

If I had to go to deer camp, my dogs would go.
They also would be left in my camper with their bed while I was busy hunting or what not

They wouldn't be running the roads and food plots.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep to all that. I wouldn't pay a cent to lease a camp I had to put up with someone else's dog. Putting up with my own at home is pain enough. I can hunt right outside my own back door but if I want to be left alone I have to drive down the road and walk back home or have the wife take the dog for a drive while I slip up the hill.

It's hunting camp or it's pet camp. Can't be both.

I wouldn't pay a cent to lease a camp I had to put up with uptight anti-social hunters who act like hunting is a job and have forgotten or never learned how to enjoy themselves hunting or at camp first of all. ::ke: :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been in many leases, but the few I have been in I woulda preferred the company of dogs.

:clap:

The great white professional jealous self-important hunters are the main aggravation on most leases. :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I had to go to deer camp, my dogs would go.
They also would be left in my camper with their bed while I was busy hunting or what not

They wouldn't be running the roads and food plots.

Yep.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
:clap:

The great white professional jealous self-important hunters are the main aggravation on most leases. :D

I can't count the times a dog/dogs have pushed deer by me in a tree that probably would've never passed my stand.

Not to mention, I can run a dog off without much argument. :bounce:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Had a member bring his dog to hunt camp.All was well until this old man(me) went out to do # 1 at 3 a.m. and stepped in his dogs business he left outside my camper.
Other people have brought dogs without a problem. Properly trained people with properly trained dogs are always welcome.

Gumpbuck

Back when I ran our club I had a Rottweiler that I took to camp 2 or 3 times, he was a calm dog, rather laid back and didn't bark without good reason, another member had a Australian shepherd mix that was also a calm laid back dog, we never had any issues . I generally kept mine cabled to my camper unless I was in camp, and both myself and the other dog owner cleaned up whatever presents the dogs left.

That being said I wouldn't want a yappy constantly barking dog in camp, or one that wasn't obedient to his owner.

This^^^
That's the way my dog behaves and how we behave in taking care of her leftovers. I even try to keep her off other hunters. She's very friendly, but I don't want her leaving scent on their clothes.

Rich M

It all depends to me.

There are plenty of reasons someone's best friend isn't exactly hunt camp material.

If the dog is quiet, doesn't get into my dinner, doesn't run off for forays on the lease, and the owner picks up the poo - no biggee.

Dogs are fun when they are behaving.

bilgerat

Senior
If you don't like dogs in camp don't Join My club cause My lil pup is there when I'm there . Shes our camp mascot and My best friend.
She stays in camp and don't wander, she stays in My camper when I'm in the woods and she gos #2 on the neighbors property next to camp and only barks when a stranger walke into camp or a diller wanders by.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Doolydawg03

Sounds like some members we’ve all dealt with , cry about everything , my dog goes with me to my hunting camp every weekend , and she enjoys it as much as me , I’d laugh in there face ! What’s there reason ?

I bring my black lab to my camp every time i go to camp, she wants to go as bad as i do. For ex. if that dog sees me grabbing my guns and packing a bag for camp and she is scratching the door down ready to ride plus she is our blood trail dog if needed. If somebody or anybody at my camp has a problem with Gracie well you know!!!! But everyone at our camp loves her. I run my club so i don't have to worry it plus our club is not adjoining to our camp and my dog stays inside my camp while im not there period, she goes to the field next to camp to do business and she is extremely obedient.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
If you read enough of these comments you will see that some folks arent nearly as happy with your dog and its actions as you are. I dont personally have an issue with dogs, but dont want them in a camp house or laying on my feet when I am eating or sitting by a fire or on furniture. I enjoy a dog that lays beside me and lets me scratch its head when I want to scratch its head, not when it wants it

Gumpbuck

This is Reagan...

7 year old catahoula leopard dog.

She is quiet, loves everyone, stays in my RV when I'm not in camp, picks up her own poop, shoots, tracks and skins our deer for us and kills every yote on the property by just staring them down.

What's not to like??? JK ::ke:

Attachments

• 22288.jpg
    22288.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 330

JoPa

We have a member who brings his lab quite often, lets him run around free and takes him in the woods. Some of the members got the dog on camera near their stands and were not pleased. The dog also poops everywhere and jumps up on your truck if you had a deer in the back, leaves lots of scratches on your tailgate. Another member has a small "yapper" type and leaves it in the trailer while he is out hunting. You can hear it all over camp barking constantly inside the trailer. One other member brings his dog and just recently pounded a 2 x 2 in the camp lot to tie it up, another member hit the post coming in at night and dented his bumper. We all get along, most guys try to understand, but it's getting hard to put up with. Staying friends with a fellow hunt club member vs having to put up with all of it.