Is the atheistic view/belief/reality that there is free-will? - Thx.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
You mean like the animals that abandon their young and other animals who will nurse and raise the young of others that were killed or died?

Maybe the texas couple who adopted 13 kids and had them chained up for years is an example of a god?

I'm asking what it means. If we are survival engines, then the wiring got all kinda messed up in all the examples, or they chose not to cooperate.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I think a lot about this, the nature v nurture, debate and how much of what we do is genetic and how much is response. If love is a genetic process (hard wiring), then those who don't have bad genes. There is a good case for this given that people who live certain lifestyles tend to produce people who live the same..........or, are they just repeating the actions they have seen in others?

The brain learns certain patterns, and these patterns become cemented over time. But, could our "evolutionary response" be just that, learned behavior? Environment? This topic is very interesting to me for a lot of reasons.

drippin' rock

If there is no God, than people are just the survival engines they evolved to be, and everything we do (free will) is a reflection of that evolution. So, something as simple as loving your children is not a choice, but an evolutionary characteristic which enables the survival of the species.

What does that say about folks who do not love their kids? And, what does it say about folks who try to help those kids who are not loved?

I tend to think this way. It doesn't sound nice to reduce the love for a child to that base level, but it IS just a chemical reaction. As to why some love kids and some drown them in a bathtub, well, why are some folks born intelligent and some mentally handicapped? Gay VS straight?

From what I can see in my life and others so far, it's not nature vs. nurture. Its nature and nurture. They exist together. Sometimes one is more powerful than the other. It depends on the person, I reckon.

Israel

BANNED
You don't know what that thing is anymore than anyone else. You think you do but it's in your head. Better to be an honest man and say "There's this thought in my head. I'm gonna call it Jesus but I can't be sure that's what it really is".

Be an honest man.

Interesting response in its context.
Of what is said might be best determined when including at least some, or all that isn't said.

You know, how liars are.

So, didn't you leave out the only part that mattered? Do you think that was an accident?

"Be an honest man"
(like me).

JB0704

I Gots Goats
From what I can see in my life and others so far, it's not nature vs. nurture. Its nature and nurture. They exist together. Sometimes one is more powerful than the other. It depends on the person, I reckon.

I agree with this. But, that makes me think we have a will, which may be limited by "nature."

So, if there is a God, then the framework of nature is his. If there is no God, then evolution hasn't quite perfected the process just yet...........would we trend further away from "nurture" if that's the case?

drippin' rock

I agree with this. But, that makes me think we have a will, which may be limited by "nature."

So, if there is a God, then the framework of nature is his. If there is no God, then evolution hasn't quite perfected the process just yet...........would we trend further away from "nurture" if that's the case?

If there is a god, then he/she/it hasn't perfected the process just yet.

drippin' rock

It doesn't seem to matter. It may affect how you view justice as it relates to crime and punishment, though.

I am listening to Sam Harris's lecture on Free Will as I type this, and I'm sure you have already done so.

I think we can tweak our justice system from its current form to something better, certainly. If we determine that a criminal acts a certain way because of a brain tumor, then remove it and see if the patterns change. I think there is a path to rehabilitation in cases such as this. If we decide that there is no free will, that everything we do is determined by something in our past, we still have to govern. We can't let every thief walk free just because we understand they had a bad childhood and therefore they cant help being a thief.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm asking what it means. If we are survival engines, then the wiring got all kinda messed up in all the examples, or they chose not to cooperate.

Are you sure what you think is "messed up" isn't actually a benefit?

JB0704

I Gots Goats
If there is a god, then he/she/it hasn't perfected the process just yet.

Was perfection intended? Evolution would have to go tgat direction if it is geared towards optimal survival.

Then we would also have to define perfect, I guess.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I struggle seeing benefits of parents killing their kids.

What percentage of our society does that represent?

Do you think humans have peaked evolutionary wise? Or do we still have a few thousand or couple million years to go?

drippin' rock

I don't know that there is a mountaintop to reach. I think the evolutionary map is like endless tributaries off a main river. if we are still a species a million years from now, I'm sure there will still be imperfections and different ways to split.

WaltL1

I struggle seeing benefits of parents killing their kids.
That's because you have great kids :bounce:
(a little morbid humor)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I don't know that there is a mountaintop to reach. I think the evolutionary map is like endless tributaries off a main river. if we are still a species a million years from now, I'm sure there will still be imperfections and different ways to split.

Exactly.
Evolution does not have a goal. The fittest tend to survive and take the species furthest. What goes on during that time is anyones guess.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
What percentage of our society does that represent?

Do you think humans have peaked evolutionary wise? Or do we still have a few thousand or couple million years to go?

Bullet, the only reason I brought it up was you asked if it could be a benefit instead of a mistake.

I have no idea if humans have peaked.........seems to me like we are on an upward swing.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Bullet, the only reason I brought it up was you asked if it could be a benefit instead of a mistake.

I have no idea if humans have peaked.........seems to me like we are on an upward swing.

We as in the humans in the USA?
Or
We as in a cannibalistic tribe in New Guinea?

Search " Infanticide in modern times"

j_seph

Lololol
Like I've stated many times in here, if some diety wants me to know of it's existence then it would know how to do it in a way that would be convincing to me.
So..........how do you convince someone that does not want to believe?
Look up in the sky tonight if it is clear, Bible tells of making the moon and the stars (I would say go out side now and look straight at that big shining ball but I ain't that mean). Look around you of all that he has created. The day will come when you take that last breath, hopefully you have made a turn around before then and not learn of his existence the hard or I mean hot way.

Carry on:deadhorse:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
So..........how do you convince someone that does not want to believe?
Look up in the sky tonight if it is clear, Bible tells of making the moon and the stars (I would say go out side now and look straight at that big shining ball but I ain't that mean). Look around you of all that he has created. The day will come when you take that last breath, hopefully you have made a turn around before then and not learn of his existence the hard or I mean hot way.

Carry on:deadhorse:

Is convincing me too great of a task for your god?
Don't give me the free will excuse.
I am open to any god that wants to contact me.

If reading creation stories in ancient texts is what convinces you, you have a couple dozen more gods to be worshipping.

I will let my time on Earth speak for anything that wants to judge me when I die.

Latest posts