Back up when hog hunting

Geezer Ray

When I lived in middle georgia I hunted hogs year round. Of course the laws were different then and there (southern zone). When I carried my black powder I also carried a Ruger 44 mag with 10.5 barrel. I have sold that gun and now hunt here in northeast Georgia mtns. Very different, but my question to ya'll, and I know everyone has an opinion, what do you carry for back up? What caliber, I now only have access to a 45 acp, 40 cal, and 9mm, all semi autos. Also have you ever really needed it, I never did but won't go with out one. Thanks for your input.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve never carried two guns to the woods hunting anything , is it for a follow up shot or protection from a pig .

thumper523

I carry a 40 cal for follow up or put down shots. Works well for protection too. I hope I never find out though. I use the Federal Hi Shok 155 gr I believe.

jbogg

I used to carry my 40 cal, but it is heavy as a brick and every ounce matters when hunting the mountains. These days I have my little Ruger 380 LCP that always rides in my pocket wherever I go. It’s some of the two legged critters that concern me. I came out of the woods one night at about 9:30PM after an evening hog hunt on National Forest. Got in my truck and backed out onto the FS road only to have my headlights light up a guy just standing in the pitch dark on the edge of the road. There wasn’t a house within 8 miles, and no campsites close by either. I never saw a vehicle and he didn’t Appear to be carrying a flashlight. I asked if he needed help and he just looked at me like I had two heads.

Geezer Ray

I’ve never carried two guns to the woods hunting anything , is it for a follow up shot or protection from a pig .

When I use my Flintlock I feel it is best to carry something to stop the little piggy should I miss or miss fire. So it is only a back up.

Not real sure a .380 would give me peace of mind for moving pig and me being scared to death if a pig is fixin to have his or her way with me. I am to old to run and to fat to climb.

Darkhorse

When I hunt with a flintlock I only carry backup when hogs have moved into the area real heavy. Always the same thing, my old SBH 7.5" .44 magnum.

elmer_fudd

My backup is an extra AR magazine. :bounce:

If I'm hunting with a muzzleloader I might carry a .22 revolver.. my plan being to climb a tree and use the pistol on him.

Killer Kyle

I had a situation last December where if I had my pistol on my person, I likely would have taken home some pork. I had my .40 with me but had taken it off and set it on my pack because it doesn't sit comfortable on me when I sit in my hammock seat. I had taken it off, and about one minute later, here they come. I shot one pig with my ML at +-40 yards, and anchored it on the spot. Shot for the ear, and hit it on the fat across the back of the neck. (I was shooting elevated above the hog and it was quartering towards). The hog started kicking as I was trying to reload, then it jumped up and ran straight at me. I don't think it was charging, but it just took off running and didn't know I was there. I was so caught up in the moment, I hadn't even thought about my sidearm. When the hog got to within about 20 yards, it averted, and barrelled off through the gap, and gone forever. If I'd have had my pistol on my hip, and was quick at the draw, I likely could have at least hit it again. That lack of situational awareness got me that time, and cost me some precious pork.
Like JBoggs said, mine is cumbersome, but I also have met some reeeaaalllll strange cats out in the NF. Not long ago, I got back to the car and five minutes later had a completely insane, irate homeless man screaming and cussing at me because I wouldn't give him a ride down to Helen.
I wear my sidearm for multiple reasons. Follow-up shots, and men alike.

frankwright

I always have a handgun on me so naturally no matter what I am hunting pigs with, I have a handgun.
Normally it will be a 9mm.

There are times I pop into an area just long enough to swap trail cam cards and I do not usually uncase and load a rifle so the handgun is for just in case.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had my .40 with me but had taken it off and set it on my pack because it doesn't sit comfortable on me when I sit in my hammock seat.

try a chest rig or something on that line and attach the holster to it in the front or on a LBH.

I have never carried any backup pig hunting. Sometimes I think I'm hunting a different animal than the ones I read about online. Is anyone really concerned about being attacked buy a feral hog? I was when I watched Old Yellow, but my real life experience hasn't lived up to their reputation. I guess I could have been luck so far. Anyone ever been attacked personally, other than cutting hogs or when the dogs are on them?

transfixer

I haven't hunted NF land in years, but if I still did I would do the same as I do on our lease, carry a sidearm for just in case situations, whether it be an animal or human, I usually carry my .40 or my SAA .45lc in a crossdraw holster.

Roughly 20yrs ago when mowing trails through the thick pines on our lease, we inadvertently mowed a 4ft wide trail right up to a chicken wire enclosure which had 260 some odd pot plants growing inside of it. Some of them 6ft tall and budding. Given the circumstances we couldn't just back away and pretend we didn't see it, which I wouldn't have done anyway, we called the sheriff and game warden and they came and pulled everything up and took it away.

A month later we found our camp burned to the ground, ever since then myself and most of the others always carry when on the property, you never know in this day and time what you will encounter , especially on property that doesn't receive a lot of traffic. And unless things have changed, people used to plant quite a bit on national forest land.

thumper523

I have never carried any backup pig hunting. Sometimes I think I'm hunting a different animal than the ones I read about online. Is anyone really concerned about being attacked buy a feral hog? I was when I watched Old Yellow, but my real life experience hasn't lived up to their reputation. I guess I could have been luck so far. Anyone ever been attacked personally, other than cutting hogs or when the dogs are on them?

I've had on 2 separate occasions where we trailed a wounded hog and when we got up to them they got a little extra kick in them and tried to get up. I put them down quickly before it escalated into a worst case scenario. My 40 is a Glock 27 Compact, no issues carrying on my side.

I don't see being armed all the time as the same issues as a backup gun to hog hunt. When legal I always carry. It just makes sense, but I feel no more need for backup hog hunting than I would hunting rabbits. That being said, any wounded animal can be dangerous.

transfixer

I haven't taken a hog yet , although we've had them on our lease for a few years now, but I would imagine a wounded boar or big sow could inflict some damage , If I hunted with a muzzleloader I definitely would carry a backup pistol when hunting hogs, especially if you're hunting by yourself. If I were hunting with an AR its probably not needed. I guess the importance of a backup varies according to what your main weapon is .

transfixer

When I lived in middle georgia I hunted hogs year round. Of course the laws were different then and there (southern zone). When I carried my black powder I also carried a Ruger 44 mag with 10.5 barrel. I have sold that gun and now hunt here in northeast Georgia mtns. Very different, but my question to ya'll, and I know everyone has an opinion, what do you carry for back up? What caliber, I now only have access to a 45 acp, 40 cal, and 9mm, all semi autos. Also have you ever really needed it, I never did but won't go with out one. Thanks for your input.

Back to part of your original question, out of those calibers you listed I would opt for the .40cal, with some +p or hot 150 or 165gr loads, and probably alternate hollow point and flat points. I'd want penetration and tissue damage .

thumper523

Agreed. A pistol makes sense if primary weapon is primitive, not so much if you have an 30-06 or a 12ga in your hands already.

One hog was shot with a bow, the other the guy had an AR-15 but he shot out his clip because he only had 8 bullets:huh: