Well if the last comments from the Pope didn’t fire you up....

ambush80

I find it odd that the Catholic church has so far been the leader in Christian reformation and enlightenment. I always thought of them as so backward with their funny hats and incense.

WaltL1

Ive asked on this forum what the Christians thought about this very matter.
Which is worse, an Atheist who doesn't believe or a Christian who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk?
I was more or less told those Christians weren't "real" Christians.

WaltL1

I find it odd that the Catholic church has so far been the leader in Christian reformation and enlightenment. I always thought of them as so backward with their funny hats and incense.
This particular Pope gets a lot of heat from a lot of Catholics (including the Catholic hierarchy) for not being "backwards" enough.

oldfella1962

yes he talked about the shady businessmen and whatnot. I get that. But not a word about the priests that molest kids and the church transfers them and covers it up. Just my opinion but that to me is the 500 pound gorilla in the room here.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Ive asked on this forum what the Christians thought about this very matter.
Which is worse, an Atheist who doesn't believe or a Christian who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk?

A Christian who talks the talk but can’t walk the walk is worse, in my opinion. A lot of people are “Christian” when they get in trouble.

Revelation 3: 15&16

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Show me one person who can walk the walk....then we will talk.

There’s plenty of folk that “practice what they preach”. Those that do not are referred to as hypocrites.

Day trip

My take is that in scrolling through the quotes, Pope Francis offered apologies to many groups. I think one more is needed. To all of the followers, especially pre-Vatican II who where simply told to obey rules and not question anything. These people have lived their whole lives according to somebody else’s standard because they where naive enough to believe that protocol alone was enough. At no point did the Catholic Church force this point but I feel that they did not do anything to dispel the myth. So because of it, many younger people are saying, “this is bullish!+” and have left the Church. Ultimately, it come down to this, who is responsible for you? Some group or yourself? If we hold ourselves responsible and live and act with love then very often we are “following Jesus” even if we call it by some other name.
That’s why the some atheists are far better than some Christians.

Terminology is a problem here. I’ve never met a true atheist. I’ve met plenty of “atheist” who didn’t believe in somebody else’s ideas about religion.

Day trip

This particular Pope gets a lot of heat from a lot of Catholics (including the Catholic hierarchy) for not being "backwards" enough.

Its not really backwards. It’s human nature to want rules and protocol. That’s all they want. To be told that they are right and that they are doing enough. It’s really CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored hard to move beyond that. Good enough isn’t good enough. Virtually everyine avoids pain and suffering at all costs and very often it is pain and suffering that humbles us enough to start seeing beyond our own desires.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
So where do you draw the line between not quite perfect and hypocrite?

Not quite perfect verses hypocrite = are you making honest mistakes and then correcting them after learning of them, or are you goofing up on purpose on things you say are wrong or on premeditated situations because you can get away with it because no one is looking????

welderguy

Not quite perfect verses hypocrite = are you making honest mistakes and then correcting them after learning of them, or are you goofing up on purpose on things you say are wrong or on premeditated situations because you can get away with it because no one is looking????

I would suggest to you that every single person has moments of hypocrisy.
If he thinks otherwise, he's deceived, and thinks too highly of himself.

Artfuldodger

I thought we couldn't walk the walk and thus why we needed to repent from thinking that we could. To believing that Jesus could walk the walk for us.
If I could walk the walk, I would save myself.

Artfuldodger

2 Peter 2:21
For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to have turned from the holy commandment having been delivered to them.

What was the holy commandment? Is this what the Pope was referring to? Why would it be better to never hear?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I would suggest to you that every single person has moments of hypocrisy.
If he thinks otherwise, he's deceived, and thinks too highly of himself.
I’m sorry but I don’t get up in the morning with thoughts of what I can get away with.

I have my “temptations” and stumbles in life as any human would. I make my mistakes, but I don’t set myself up or create situations on purpose to act on those.

It goes deeper than religion, it’s called character.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I thought we couldn't walk the walk and thus why we needed to repent from thinking that we could. To believing that Jesus could walk the walk for us.
If I could walk the walk, I would save myself.
I read Walt’s question as in “real Christian” practicing what they preach verses “fake Christian” or commonly known as hypocrite......”doing the talk but can’t do the walk” or can’t live by what they claim.

I’m not sure how you’re reading it.

welderguy

I’m sorry but I don’t get up in the morning with thoughts of what I can get away with.

I have my “temptations” and stumbles in life as any human would. I make my mistakes, but I don’t set myself up or create situations on purpose to act on those.

It goes deeper than religion, it’s called character.

And the hypocrites defend themselves the same way.