Ask the GA DNR Board not to expand the shooting of deer over bait in Georgia.

Here is a link to a review of the topic talked about most on this forum. Although dated I believe this can be a useful tool for some to use as a basis for their decisions in regards to the baiting/supplemental feeding of wildlife and the effects on wildlife and the environment. Not just deer. My mind has been made up for many years on the subject and I do not support either. I have my reasons some stated in the review some not. If nothing else the material can definitely be useful to some of the less informed on the subject.

A Comprehensive Review of the Ecological and Human Social Effects of Artificial Feeding and Baiting of Wildlife

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=icwdmccwhcnews

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Here is a link to a review of the topic talked about most on this forum. Although dated I believe this can be a useful tool for some to use as a basis for their decisions in regards to the baiting/supplemental feeding of wildlife and the effects on wildlife and the environment. Not just deer. My mind has been made up for many years on the subject and I do not support either. I have my reasons some stated in the review some not. If nothing else the material can definitely be useful to some of the less informed on the subject.

A Comprehensive Review of the Ecological and Human Social Effects of Artificial Feeding and Baiting of Wildlife

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=icwdmccwhcnews
The science-based information is limited in part because philosophical differences lie at the root of many of the issues and science is not the appropriate tool for resolution, e.g., science cannot determine whether hunting over bait is ethical or not.

Glad they got that out of the way right up front.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Browning Slayer

Gbr5pb

But if it wasn’t for all these people wanting to tell everyone else how to hunt they wouldn’t be anything to read on forum! Post way down

Browning Slayer

So, for argument's sake, say this never happens and the folks in the northern zone stay in the northern zone and aren't allowed to hunt over bait.

What's going to stop us from keeping our feeders out like we've been doing for years?

Not to mention, it's still legal to "bait" and hunt hogs. So, are you anti's going to try and change those laws too?

so if bait is out for hogs it won't spread CWD, but if its put out for deer it will??????

Sure seems like you guys are fighting a battle that you are never going to win so why not focus you're attention on the real culprit and threat to CWD coming to GA??
And you still can't answer the question.. Can none of you Anti's answer?

Still waiting for anyone to give an answer...

Surely, some of these "Anti Baiters" could answer one simple question. Where's our non-resident Lampern?? :pop::pop:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Its a shame there's no dislike thumbs down to click.
There is.(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n).When you go to reply it is in the tool bar up top.Hit the smiley face and all sorts of them are available.:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::censored::cry::love::LOL::ROFLMAO::sick::sleep::sneaky:(y)(n):unsure::whistle::coffee::giggle::alien::devilish::geek: plus all the old ones.

44magpastor

You know what is amazing to me, about this debate?

I can back a truck up and dump out corn in mountains....Even during the season, I can put out all the corn, I want to buy.......But it is illegal to hunt directly over it.

You can't intelligently argue against baiting, pointing to CWD and problems with other landowners as rationale, as long as supplemental feeding is legal.

If baiting is a CWD risk, then so is feeding. Why is one legal and one not?

Last edited:
Browning Slayer,

The answer is "yes. Have to tackle one challenge at a time. Next is supplemental feeding and the baiting of hogs. There has been no significant data provided by any agency to prove the baiting of hogs controls or reduces problematic populations . If that was the case, Georgia would have the problem solved by now. There is no sound biological data to allow it to go on any longer. Baiting and supplemental feeding cause ecological issues and harms rather than helps numerous species of wildlife. There have been many scientific studies to prove that. Furthermore, both practices supplemental feeding and baiting cause significant harm to forest ecosystems. But being the outdoorsman you are..... you already know that.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master

I can back a truck up and dump out corn in mountains....Even during the season, I can put out all the corn, I want to buy.......But it is illegal to hunt directly over it.

You can't intelligently argue against baiting, pointing to CWD and problems with other landowners as rationale, as long as supplemental feeding is legal.

You're not allowed to think logically and ask rational questions on this topic. It makes the Elitist dizzy.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

Yea the only way the disease argument makes sense is either all in or all out...... 200 yards away now doesn’t make it go away.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yea the only way the disease argument makes sense is either all in or all out...... 200 yards away now doesn’t make it go away.

So why does it take anything “more” than a deadly no cure brain disease to stop feeding deer/hogs statewide? Cause it ain’t here yet or is it? When is the last time ya’ll sent a sample of deer to get tested for cwd from here?
WHERE IS THEM UGA AND CDC REPORTS ON CWD?
That disease is held right here downtown. Say it ain’t here already.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
So why does it take anything “more” than a deadly no cure brain disease to stop feeding deer/hogs statewide? Cause it ain’t here yet or is it? When is the last time ya’ll sent a sample of deer to get tested for cwd from here?
WHERE IS THEM UGA AND CDC REPORTS ON CWD?
That disease is held right here downtown. Say it ain’t here already.
I know nothing about CWD. Just saying to use any disease as an argument against legalized hunting over bait doesn’t make sense because keeping that 200 yard distance doesn’t make it safer. If the disease was the issue, arguing for removing feed completely would make sense.

Last edited: