Open carry antis and gun owners judging gun owners...

someguyintraffic

If youre within the law and can legally own and carry a gun, whether concealed or open and do so responsibly I dont feel that I or anyone have any place to comment on your choice.

Thats the problem with partial liberty Americans to me. Whether pro gun or anti, telling a law abiding free man exercising his right to the 2nd Amendment what he can or should do peeves me off.

Responded to a social media post about carry permits and concealed /open carry to a old HS/ former customer " friend " and was promptly told he laughs at open carry guys and theyre the first target a criminal seeks.

After I said a prayer for him I let him know his opinion on me exercising my liberty can go along the lines of mind your own business.

Then some other tool comes to his defense and tries to angle a " what he is trying to say " assist and argues against statistics on soft target gun free zones and armed locations crimes. Deep breath.

They really made it seems a criminal shoud be attacking police, firearms retailers, gun ranges, deer hunters, etc.

Im appalled at the limit of liberty pro gunners. With friends like them who needs antis?

IWB 9mm, leather holster, at 4 oclock. My perogative. Carry comes with a responsible vigilance. These tools go to the range once or twice a year.

Mind your own lot.

VTRman

Yep. Buncha pansies.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
open carry is legal, and is damaging to gun owners.

transfixer

Where open carry is legal if a person chooses to do so, its their choice, I just wish they would carry in a decent, secure holster, and not those flimsy nylon things that flop around when they walk, lol, looks like Barney Fife out for a walk ,,,,

You lose a valuable advantage when open carrying, you might be the first one shot in a bank or store robbery, cause the bad guy sees you're carrying, if concealed he doesn't know it until you choose to unholster. After all, bad guys don't open carry for a reason.

PappyHoel

I don’t feel the need to tell someone what to do.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Carry Permits are not exercising a right, they are permission slips.
If you have a permission slip and want to open carry, that's fine. It is just the limit of your permission slip. Folks are often very proud of their permission slip.
I think concealed carry is simply more considerate and an absolute tactical advantage.

Robert28

If you have a permission slip and want to open carry, that's fine. It is just the limit of your permission slip. Folks are often very proud of their permission slip.
I think concealed carry is simply more considerate and an absolute tactical advantage.
It’s also a paid for permission slip with an expiration date. Then you have to get more permission and pay for it to continue. Land of the free, baby!

rosewood

There is this thing called discretion. It is perfectly legal for two guys to walk up and kiss directly in front of you. That is highly offensive to me and I don't want to see it. It is also legal for them to have a shirt with curse words on it which I also do not want to see. I am courteous to others as I expect them to be to me. Don't put things in others faces you know they don't want to see. If I know that my open carrying is going to offend a bunch of folks or even scare some, I feel it is just being courteous to be concealed.

Not to say you can't open carry, I just think there is a time and place where it is appropriate. And for those idiots that throw their AR on their back and walk down the street just because they can, they are just that, idiots. Be courteous to your fellow citizens.

Now I have noticed that there are more and more folks open carrying which is becoming the new norm. The more people see it, the more comfortable they become with it so it isn't noticed as much as it used to be. So I suppose it is a good thing.

As someone else said, put it in a nice holster, not one of those flemsy nylon ones. It seems I see more open carry folks carrying cheap guns in cheap holsters as if to say "look at me". Rarely do you see nice Sigs or Kimbers in nice leather holsters open carried.

Rosewood

transfixer

Its been a while, but I was in Walmart picking up some stuff before heading to the woods, and noticed a guy in his late 20's, wearing shorts, had a belt on and carrying a full size 1911 in what looked like a cheap flea market type nylon holster, with a nylon strap and Velcro holding the gun in, the 1911 being rather heavy was dragging down his shorts on that side, and it bounced when he walked, he simply wanted everyone to know he had a gun, I just shook my head and walked on.

WaltL1

I personally choose not to open carry because I feel the disadvantages outweigh the advantages but if its legal and a guy wants to, its none of my darn business.

someguyintraffic

There is this thing called discretion. It is perfectly legal for two guys to walk up and kiss directly in front of you. That is highly offensive to me and I don't want to see it. It is also legal for them to have a shirt with curse words on it which I also do not want to see. I am courteous to others as I expect them to be to me. Don't put things in others faces you know they don't want to see. If I know that my open carrying is going to offend a bunch of folks or even scare some, I feel it is just being courteous to be concealed.

Not to say you can't open carry, I just think there is a time and place where it is appropriate. And for those idiots that throw their AR on their back and walk down the street just because they can, they are just that, idiots. Be courteous to your fellow citizens.

Now I have noticed that there are more and more folks open carrying which is becoming the new norm. The more people see it, the more comfortable they become with it so it isn't noticed as much as it used to be. So I suppose it is a good thing.

As someone else said, put it in a nice holster, not one of those flemsy nylon ones. It seems I see more open carry folks carrying cheap guns in cheap holsters as if to say "look at me". Rarely do you see nice Sigs or Kimbers in nice leather holsters open carried.

Rosewood

My Sig is in leather inside the waist band. Only the handle is ever visible. Police walk around OWB on a duty belt. No one cares. People love liberty until yours offends them. U wonder what Ted Nugent would think about all the advice from all the do gooders out there concerned about your choices.

Last edited:

someguyintraffic

I don’t feel the need to tell someone what to do.
Amen

Its a quality I have that Im most glad of. I dont mind other peoples business for them. Makes life alot simpler.

Last edited:

transfixer

So if thats the case police are ruining it for all of us before we even holster right? Dang cops! The nerve of em.

Cops in uniform are expected to be armed, that's apples to oranges, not what this is about, that being said, most metro LE departments require their officers or deputies to carry " concealed" when off duty, not open carrying, but concealed .

someguyintraffic

Cops in uniform are expected to be armed, that's apples to oranges, not what this is about, that being said, most metro LE departments require their officers or deputies to carry " concealed" when off duty, not open carrying, but concealed .

How can they force a requirement on an officer out of uniform and off duty to carry concealed? Friend of mine is a KPD detective and he just told me hes never been told that in 15 years.

So what does that have to do with my choice? How does or should your personal opinion or anyones affect another individuals decision? Ones liberty is his own. Sometimes I choose to conceal and Im sure that would rub a strict open carry guy the wrong way. Cant please everyone.

As for apples to oranges a gun is a gun no matter who is carrying it and I expect everyone is armed, not just those in uniform. The whole concealed tactical advantage line is a hypothetical. Some thug may just shoot you in a robbery because youre a male and you saw him. Having to clear a garment or jacket in a split second situation might get you killed.

Last edited:
I carry open in the woods. But if Im in public I do not want anyone to know I am armed. Yo are dead on .

someguyintraffic

Im open carry right here walking directly towards you. Can you tell? IWB 4 o clock.

Attachments

• 0623180904_HDR.jpg
    0623180904_HDR.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 27

someguyintraffic

Strong side armed raised up and waist slighty twisted for photo. 99% of people will never notice. No one walks backwards or sideways into a convience store or grocery store with their arms raised.

Attachments

• 0623180911_HDR.jpg
    0623180911_HDR.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 14

transfixer

Im open carry right here walking directly towards you. Can you tell? IWB 4 o clock.

Yes, I see the attaching clip or loop, but then I am predisposed to look for things like that, technically you aren't "open carrying" , open carry usually refers to a holster outside the waist, as in a holster attached to a belt hanging outside the pants in full view of everyone,

and your shirt is overhanging the pistol, effectively "concealing" it .

transfixer

How can they force a requirement on an officer out of uniform and off duty to carry concealed? Friend of mine is a KPD detective and he just told me hes never been told that in 15 years.

So what does that have to do with my choice? How does or should your personal opinion or anyones affect another individuals decision?

My oldest stepson is a Deputy with a metro area dept, they are " required " to carry concealed when carrying off duty, I don't know that they can " force " them to do so, but it is what they strongly suggest, and I would imagine they consider it a reflection upon the appearance and conduct of their officers. Which they do have some control over.

There are valid reasons backed up with real world experience as to why that is an advantage. Both for off duty officers and for civilians , you can ignore those if you choose to, its your right,

You can carry however you wish, doesn't matter to me, I prefer others not to know I'm armed, until its advantageous for me to reveal that I am.

Hypothetical scenario, you are in a bank, cashing a check, there are three or four other customers there also, two guys come in and pull out guns and tell everyone to stay still this is a robbery, your gun is hanging on your belt, in an outside the waistband holster, they see it and immediately point a weapon at you , tell you not to move and they walk up to you and take your gun, all the time pointing a gun at your head. Now you aren't armed anymore, cause you didn't have time to react.
Or , you try to pull your gun when they announce they are robbing the place, they've already seen your gun, and beat you to the punch, you're now wounded or dead.

This whole time there is an off duty officer or civilian among the other customers, who is carrying concealed, he simply complies with the robbers commands until they are distracted enough by other customers until he can pull his weapon from concealment and shoot one or both of the robbers, in my humble opinion, and most peoples, the guy with his weapon concealed stands a better chance of stopping this robbery or surviving it than someone open carrying.

Its your choice totally, carry however you wish.