Blaze orange law tweak!

red neck richie

Is it time to look at changing it to having to wear orange to and from the stand but once seated inside you can take it off? Let your camouflage do its purpose instead of covering it up. I have attached three photos of three different blinds and you cant see orange in any of them. Please stay on topic as I am just looking for your opinions.

Attachments

• ground-blind-brushed-in.jpg
    ground-blind-brushed-in.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 71
  • box-stand-plans-broch-20-six-20-shooterx-10-best.jpg
    box-stand-plans-broch-20-six-20-shooterx-10-best.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 79
  • camo-skirt1.jpg
    camo-skirt1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 78

shdw633

No. Personally I think you should have to put hunters orange on the outside of your stand when you are in them to indicate to others outside of the stand that there is a person in there. You take away the having to wear orange in a stand and you will have people walking to and from the stand without it on as well.

FootLongDawg

Is it time to look at changing it to having to wear orange to and from the stand but once seated inside you can take it off? Let your camouflage do its purpose instead of covering it up. I have attached three photos of three different blinds and you cant see orange in any of them. Please stay on topic as I am just looking for your opinions.

I totally agree

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon

FootLongDawg

No. Personally I think you should have to put hunters orange on the outside of your stand when you are in them to indicate to others outside of the stand that there is a person in there. You take away the having to wear orange in a stand and you will have people walking to and from the stand without it on as well.

I totally disagree. Been hunting on PRIVATE land for almost 50 years. I would not dream of walking to my stand without my orange. I also have been taking it off once I get in my stand for about as long.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

Which side of that stand do you want him to hang the orange? North, South, East or West? Maybe all 4 of them?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
If you are "IN" a stand aren't you mainly covered up no matter what you're wearing? I thought studies have shown that deer don't see orange like humans, so orange wouldn't matter as far as the deer are concerned.

cowhornedspike

Huh?? you want to change the law so you take your orange off once your in a stand that you cant see the orange in anyway??? . Am I missing something here?

My question as well... If you can't see what you have on inside a blind then why do you even wear camo in there? What difference does it make if you have orange on and why is the OP against it if it can't be seen anyway?

shdw633

I totally disagree. Been hunting on PRIVATE land for almost 50 years. I would not dream of walking to my stand without my orange. I also have been taking it off once I get in my stand for about as long.

So because you've been breaking the law for 50 years we should change the law??? Not everyone has private land where they know where everyone is hunting and the laws have to be for everyone. Unfortunately not everyone follows safety in regards to wearing their hunters orange to begin with, allowing them the ability to take it off at any point of the hunt is just asking for trouble when those individuals go to leave the stand and "forgot" to take their hunters orange vest out of their backpack and put it back on when they left the stand.

red neck richie

My question as well... If you can't see what you have on inside a blind then why do you even wear camo in there? What difference does it make if you have orange on and why is the OP against it if it can't be seen anyway?
Movement. Does the movement blend in or does it stand out? Also to your point if you cant see it anyways why is it needed?

Last edited:

shdw633

Which side of that stand do you want him to hang the orange? North, South, East or West? Maybe all 4 of them?

They have this law in many states and they are for the purposes of ground blinds. I don't believe they are required for elevated box blinds. They even make a hunters orange cover that goes over the top of ground blinds.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen a human that looked like a deer. I think the orange law should go away and start prosecuting anyone that shoots another human hunting with negligent homicide.
This. We have enough laws. The Georgia law is especially strict-you have to look like a giant punkin to be legal. In NC and SC, you just have to have on an orange hat or something orange that is visible from all directions. No square inch restrictions.

There is no excuse for shooting a human while deer hunting. Deer and people look absolutely nothing alike. Hikers and birdwatchers aren't required to wear orange, either.

FootLongDawg

So because you've been breaking the law for 50 years we should change the law??? Not everyone has private land where they know where everyone is hunting and the laws have to be for everyone. Unfortunately not everyone follows safety in regards to wearing their hunters orange to begin with, allowing them the ability to take it off at any point of the hunt is just asking for trouble when those individuals go to leave the stand and "forgot" to take their hunters orange vest out of their backpack and put it back on when they left the stand.

Was not my point. My point was just because someone takes their orange off once in the stand, does not mean they would even think about not wearing it to and from their stand. As a matter of fact, I think it is a pretty common practice. But I don't care how safety conscious folks want to be in their stand. I think the law should be changed to give one the OPTION to wear orange while hunting from an elevated stand.

bonecollector123

I always put my vest on top of my ground blind before I get in it and wrap it around my tree when I get in my stand. I hunt private land but at least if some one is slipping around on a fence line they may see it before shooting in my direction.

shdw633

Was not my point. My point was just because someone takes their orange off once in the stand, does not mean they would even think about not wearing it to and from their stand. As a matter of fact, I think it is a pretty common practice. But I don't care how safety conscious folks want to be in their stand. I think the law should be changed to give one the OPTION to wear orange while hunting from an elevated stand.

I will respectfully have to disagree with you on that, only because I just don't think that all people are all that responsible regarding gun safety to begin with. I don't believe the deer give a rats if you are wearing hunters orange or not because, 1) they are color blind and 2) they will smell you and your stand way sooner then they will ever see you so I really don't see it as being an issue, other than the safety from others who are less than stellar when it comes to hunting safety. I was in Arkansas during bear season one year and I had a hunter walked through a pretty heavy thicket wearing black pants and no hunters orange. All I saw was the black coming through the thicket, I thought it was a bear. Had I not been the hunter I am in regards to knowing your target before you shoot he may have been dead right now. When he finally stepped out and I realized he was another hunter he was completely unaware that the wearing of black pants could mean anything, let alone the fact that he did not have on hunters orange, yet that is all I seen walking through the thicket. Many, and I mean MANY deer have been killed both big and small while wearing hunters orange which proves it has no effect on anything but the hunter who is wearing it, why even risk it. I don't know anyone that has missed a deer and blamed it on their hunting vest. Wear it and come home alive.