Blaze orange law tweak!

red neck richie

I will respectfully have to disagree with you on that, only because I just don't think that all people are all that responsible regarding gun safety to begin with. I don't believe the deer give a rats if you are wearing hunters orange or not because, 1) they are color blind and 2) they will smell you and your stand way sooner then they will ever see you so I really don't see it as being an issue, other than the safety from others who are less than stellar when it comes to hunting safety. I was in Arkansas during bear season one year and I had a hunter walked through a pretty heavy thicket wearing black pants and no hunters orange. All I saw was the black coming through the thicket, I thought it was a bear. Had I not been the hunter I am in regards to knowing your target before you shoot he may have been dead right now. When he finally stepped out and I realized he was another hunter he was completely unaware that the wearing of black pants could mean anything, let alone the fact that he did not have on hunters orange, yet that is all I seen walking through the thicket. Many, and I mean MANY deer have been killed both big and small while wearing hunters orange which proves it has no effect on anything but the hunter who is wearing it, why even risk it. I don't know anyone that has missed a deer and blamed it on their hunting vest. Wear it and come home alive.
You said he was on the ground walking. Not in a stand that is my point. Wear it while walking but once in the stand I dont see the need.

swamp hunter

Guy I hunt with ain't wore any Orange since I met him.
Local guy that just hunts on local Clubs.
Me ' I grew up hunting Public lands, weren't many folks around at that time. Now the woods got once a year AR totin City Folks .
I'd be Defcon 1 if I still hunted them kinds of places.
I only hunt on a Club now and I wear Orange all the time.
Deer ain't gonna see me nd I don't feel like a 270 to the chest this morning..

Shipwrecked

I will respectfully have to disagree with you on that, only because I just don't think that all people are all that responsible regarding gun safety to begin with. I don't believe the deer give a rats if you are wearing hunters orange or not because, 1) they are color blind and 2) they will smell you and your stand way sooner then they will ever see you so I really don't see it as being an issue, other than the safety from others who are less than stellar when it comes to hunting safety. I was in Arkansas during bear season one year and I had a hunter walked through a pretty heavy thicket wearing black pants and no hunters orange. All I saw was the black coming through the thicket, I thought it was a bear. Had I not been the hunter I am in regards to knowing your target before you shoot he may have been dead right now. When he finally stepped out and I realized he was another hunter he was completely unaware that the wearing of black pants could mean anything, let alone the fact that he did not have on hunters orange, yet that is all I seen walking through the thicket. Many, and I mean MANY deer have been killed both big and small while wearing hunters orange which proves it has no effect on anything but the hunter who is wearing it, why even risk it. I don't know anyone that has missed a deer and blamed it on their hunting vest. Wear it and come home alive.
Totally agree.....

shdw633

You said he was on the ground walking. Not in a stand that is my point. Wear it while walking but once in the stand I dont see the need.

And my point is when you give a hunter an inch, he takes a mile, as we already see with all the hunters that already take their hunters orange off when they get in the stand even though we have a law against that!! If you passed the law that they didn't have to have them on I can hear them already saying geez, I forgot to put my vest on when I left the stand, or I left my vest in the stand the last time I was in it and forgot to bring it out with me, or, and I believe this will be the most used statement, my stand is only 50 yards from where I park my four wheeler, I don't need a vest for that short of distance. It's not you that you have to worry about....it's the "other" hunter you either don't see or don't know is out there that you have to worry about and, unfortunately, like I stated, you give a hunter and inch and he takes a mile.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I also have been taking it off once I get in my stand for about as long.

you will need to show me the part where it says you can take it off in the stand on private land...I just don't see it. Sitting in a stand falls under when hunting.

Hunter Orange ON PRIVATE LAND

A hunter, and anyone accompanying the hunter, must wear as an outer garment at least 500 square inches of visible hunter orange above the waist (which may include a head covering) when hunting:

• deer during the primitive weapons or firearms deer season
  • bear during the primitive weapons or firearms bear seasons
  • feral hogs during firearms deer season

Hunter orange is not required on WMA or Corps of Engineers tracts designated archery-only, unless otherwise indicated.

I wish it wasn't necessary to wear it at all. I remember family members get shot dogging deer when I was a kid. It really doesn't seem to help in some cases. People still get shot in deer stands...or is that because they took off their orange. In today's world it seems to be a necessity.

FootLongDawg

you will need to show me the part where it says you can take it off in the stand on private land...I just don't see it. Sitting in a stand falls under when hunting.

Hunter Orange ON PRIVATE LAND

A hunter, and anyone accompanying the hunter, must wear as an outer garment at least 500 square inches of visible hunter orange above the waist (which may include a head covering) when hunting:

• deer during the primitive weapons or firearms deer season
  • bear during the primitive weapons or firearms bear seasons
  • feral hogs during firearms deer season

Hunter orange is not required on WMA or Corps of Engineers tracts designated archery-only, unless otherwise indicated.

I wish it wasn't necessary to wear it at all. I remember family members get shot dogging deer when I was a kid. It really doesn't seem to help in some cases. People still get shot in deer stands...or is that because they took off their orange. In today's world it seems to be a necessity.

I never said it was legal

jakebuddy

Maybe we could find out in how many of the actual hunting accidents if they were wearing hunter orange or not. At least look into that before we question changing the law. The statistics are the only way things could get changed.

delacroix

BANNED
So You wont get a ticket for not wearing orange?

You can see the lack of orange on the person as the move about, often near roadways. To enforce a requirement for orange on a blind, rangers would have to walk the woods. You'd have people learning to only follow the rules when they're somewhere easy to spot, and following fewer rules when they're not. Making silly rules weakens good ones.