Early planting?**UPDATE**

I’m starting a new food plot for this year. Im going with throw and grow for ease. Problem is I’ll be out of town every weekend til middle of October. How much would it hurt to go ahead and plant this weekend? Or should I wait till I get back. I’m in S Ga.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you want to feed the birds go ahead. If your wanting it to grow I would wait. I never plant until early Oct in Middle west part of Ga.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You have to plant when you can. All you stand to lose with the throw and grow method is the seed. Plant it again in October if you have to.

shdw633

I'm looking at the rain. If it says rain next week (50% or better for at least 3 days out of the week) then I'll be planting this weekend, if not, then I'd wait until the next opportunity that I had.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Your soil temp in Moultrie today is 84 degrees

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Are you saying that is too warm or what?
Soil temp can keep the seeds from germinating as well as lack of rain. Most cool season plants need a soil temp below 74-72 and above 58-60 ish.
Thats the reason Okra germinates better in warmer soil as clover does in cooler soils.

shdw633

Soil temp can keep the seeds from germinating as well as lack of rain. Most cool season plants need a soil temp below 74-72 and above 58-60 ish.
Thats the reason Okra germinates better in warmer soil as clover does in cooler soils.

Ideal temp for wheat is around 77 degrees. Most seeds ideal temp is around 80 for most garden variety seeds like peas, corn, etc. Temps hinder seed germination more on the lower end of the spectrum than on the higher end unless you are planting rye which doesn't take kindly at all to higher soil temps or heat. As the OP is planting a throw and mow, which is predominately rye, he would most likely be better off throwing it in October than now but for someone, like myself, that is staggering out his planting by putting grains in the ground sometime within the next two weeks and then throwing clover and other smaller seeds sometime within the following month, I don't believe a higher soil temp is not going to do much to hinder the seeds germination that much with the grains. It is my opinon that the lack of rain would take out my planting more than a few degrees above ideal soil temps at least for fall plantings, but again, that's my opinion.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d wait also but I planted a plot today for archery with iron clay peas and threw in a bag of wheat and some turnips just to see how it does !

I think I'm going on and planting. I harrowed it today and there is a lot of moisture in the ground and this area is also shaded most of the day. Soils temp should be lower than the average. Plus I've had the seed for a while and need to get it out. If it doesn't do well I'll replant later.

Well like I said I went ahead and planted Saturday and prayed for rain. Well we haven’t had a drop of rain even though it has all around me. I went and looked today to see if anything has emerged and see how dry it was. To my surprise there is a good bit that has emerged through the hot dry soil. Hoping I get rain very soon, I think this plot may make it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 51

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Well like I said I went ahead and planted Saturday and prayed for rain. Well we haven’t had a drop of rain even though it has all around me. I went and looked today to see if anything has emerged and see how dry it was. To my surprise there is a good but that has emerged through the hot dry soil. Hoping I get rain very soon, I think this plot may make it.
Rain is your friend now.

1gr8bldr

It's hit or miss.This time of the year we get evening thunderstorms. But Oct, it's always extremely dry. I'll be planting my earliest ever this year. Going to depend on the evening thunderstorms

Deernut3

I top seeded about two acres of wheat for my chickens about a month ago and it's dead as a hammer now.