Long kill shots??

M77 Ruger

Just curious what you guys do when shooting deer at long range. With all the adjustable turents and all the hold over bdc crosshairs just curious what you guys use and how you go about knowing where to hold when shooting out long range. I use a standard crosshair and don’t use any of the adjustable moa or bdc type crosshairs. I normally don’t shoot over 400 yards at deer. I have always just sight my rifles in at 200 yards and if the deer is at 300ish yards I hold high shoulder and squeeze trigger. If it’s 400 yards I hold the cross hairs above the deers back a little ways and squeeze the trigger. This has always worked for me over the years. I prefer to make closer shots but them big boys always seem to come out far way or at least for me. Just curious how you guys go about it

ShortMagFan

Rangefinding binoculars, ASV+ on Zeiss Victory scope and a good rest. Furthest buck was 365 yards. Until this year that was the longest possible shot from a stand on my farm. I’ve got a new spot this year that goes 425. I shoot a lot at that distance as i have a rifle range set up with targets to 400

transfixer

I've always done the same as you , sight in at 200yds, and know my drop at 300 and 400yds, haven't had clearcut for a few years now, but now have scopes with graduated reticles, so when they finally cut our lease, I'll need to verify the hash marks match the yardage.

killerv

not big on adjusting turrets in the stand, I like the 200 yard zero and know my drop at 300 for all my guns. But if one knew there drop at 400, being that one click on a 1/4@100 moa scope is 1in at 400, it would be an easy adjustment to make in the stand. If its 10inches...10 clicks will get you close. That's about the only time I would say you could think clicks instead of moa. If I find myself raising crosshair above a deer's back, most folks are guessing at that point...and the shot should not be taken. I'll admit that I am not that good to attempt that on an animal I'm trying to make a clean kill on.

nmurph

I killed an 8pt two years ago at 319. with my 30-06. I was prone on a dirt pile with my rifle rested on my backpack. He was standing still and I put the thick duplex crosshair 1 thickness above the top of the shoulder. The bullet impacted about 10 inches below the top of the shoulder and he was DRT.

releehweoj

My longest attempt and kill was 300 yds. Zero rifle dead on at 200 and know drop is 3" at 250 and 8" at 300. Not good enough shot to go out any further.

M77 Ruger

not big on adjusting turrets in the stand, I like the 200 yard zero and know my drop at 300 for all my guns. But if one knew there drop at 400, being that one click on a 1/4@100 moa scope is 1in at 400, it would be an easy adjustment to make in the stand. If its 10inches...10 clicks will get you close. That's about the only time I would say you could think clicks instead of moa. If I find myself raising crosshair above a deer's back, most folks are guessing at that point...and the shot should not be taken. I'll admit that I am not that good to attempt that on an animal I'm trying to make a clean kill on.

You make a very good point. 400 yards is as far as I able to practice at and wouldn’t shoot any farther without knowing what the gun does at ranges beyond 400. I know my drop at 400 very well and feel comfortable shooting that far. I agree guessing on a deer and making a bad shot is never a good idea and I would never recommend it. That’s why I always preach know your guns and know what you are capable of doing. What works for you might not even be close for someone else. You brought up a very good point.

deast1988

372yds my longest,

Set up a rifle this year that'll do 500, I'm ready to extend it if the opportunity arises.

devolve

I practice beyond the affective killing distance of my rifle year round. Been doing it for a long time. That being said, I have only killed a deer at 500 yards so far. If I were to get a good broadside shot with little to no wind farther I would gladly take it.
It’s all about knowing your equipment and practicing. Long distance shooting is a perishable skill.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I don’t have anything over 150 yards left. My longest kill shot was 325 yards. I have that gun set at 200 yards and just aim high in the shoulder at 300. Rest of my guns are zero at 100 yards.

I range it and dial it. If you spend enough time on the rifle, have the data on the bullet and watch the wind you might suprise yourself at what you can do. The turrets are nice and quick though. I confess I do carry a range card if I think I'm going to have anything over 500 yards depending on where I'm hunting.

grady white

The Leupold CDS locking dial system is as simple as it gets... send your info in to Leupold and they send you a turret marked in yardage so you don't have to do any math, you see a deer at 400 yards and you just dial it to 400 yards and shoot...the locking turret guarantees you won't accidently turn the dial. The hold over reticles are only accurate if your scope is on max power setting unless you have a first focal plane scope

Major Wader

328 yards is my longest yet. I memorize the ballistics and hold over.

I've seen too many times where I would not have time to dial, so I practice "Kentucky Windage" and elevation as well.

My current shooter is sighted in @ 200 yrd zero. Rem 700 sps .270 win. Pretty common setup with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40mm.

It will shoot a little high, 3.0/3.5 @ 100 yards, spot on @ 200 +/-.5 and about 5.0/6.0 low @ 300 yards. Past that frankly I don't have the eyes for it anymore. I have a 400 yard range but in order to hit at that distance I have to hold on the top of a 4" redfield diamond and will still hit a little low 5 or 6 inches drop below the diamond. This margine for error is the iujun not the rifle. But I must practice....plenty. As long as I am straight up 12/6 oclock I am good.

By chart a .270 win zero @ 100 yrds , will have -3.5 @ 200 yards, will have 11.5" drop @ 300 yards and 27" of drop @ 400 tards

A lot of people tell you what you want to hear, I'm telling what my rifle will do off a rested bench.

just the facts,I am shooting factory hornady American whitetail 130 gr. I am shooting again this afternoon.

No turret

http://gundata.org/blog/post/270-win-ballistics-chart/

s&r

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Just curious what you guys do when shooting deer at long range. With all the adjustable turents and all the hold over bdc crosshairs just curious what you guys use and how you go about knowing where to hold when shooting out long range. I use a standard crosshair and don’t use any of the adjustable moa or bdc type crosshairs. I normally don’t shoot over 400 yards at deer. I have always just sight my rifles in at 200 yards and if the deer is at 300ish yards I hold high shoulder and squeeze trigger. If it’s 400 yards I hold the cross hairs above the deers back a little ways and squeeze the trigger. This has always worked for me over the years. I prefer to make closer shots but them big boys always seem to come out far way or at least for me. Just curious how you guys go about it

Mildots for the win! And a rangefinder. I shoot out to 1,000 yards and don't adjust anything on my scopes. I don't like turrets to be adjusted in the field but that's just me and the way I was taught. I make a drawing of my Mils and tape it to my stock for a quick reminder as to what dot is set for what range.

hawke-optics-sport-hd-3-9x40-ao-scope-w-mil-dot-reticle-8.gif

RipperIII

Lost a great Buck a few years back at 350 yds.
My .270 is zeroed at 200yds.
Knew my drop at 300 and 400.
standard cross hair, positioned just above the shoulder blade.
Hit the buck, found blood...small amount, one drop about the diameter of nickle, two smaller drops half the size of a dime and a couple of pin sized drops over about a 60yd stretch.
couple hours of searching by me and a couple of buddies produced no more sign nd no buck (covered roughly 80 acres )
I think the issue was...I was 16' up a tree, and the buck was standing down by a creek bottom roughly 35-40 ft downhill and 350yds away.
when shooting downhill bullet drop is less than on level ground.
I believe that I clipped the top of his back.
only animal that ive ever lost...sick feeling, but lesson learned.
I've since practiced both uphill and downhill shots...trust me the drop is different.

Latest posts