Shotgun opinions

Easygo

Over the last 30 years of turkey hunting it seems like I have went through so many shotguns. The stock on most come loose at some point and I can never get POI the same again . Some just don’t pattern very well. Several I have bent the barrel on so slightly that you can’t see the bend but the poi will be left or right and has cost me multiple turkeys before I figure it out. One that I have never owned is a Mossberg 835 ulti mag. Is this thing a tank or overrated? I am open to other suggestions as well although I’ve not had good luck recently with 870s

Hillbilly stalker

I'm a Remington man,but a Mosseberg used to have what they called " over bored" barrel. The Mossbergs will usually out shoot ( pellet count) the Remington's. Two things I would do before buying a new shotgun, put a scope or red dot on it.......and super clean the barrel. On "The Old gobblers forum" they explain how to do it. It's cheap and they get something like 35% improvement on all brands even on new guns and ones that look crystal clean.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
As far as an all around good gun I would buy a Franchi. Same thing as a Benelli but half the cost. Very nice shooting shotgun.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If they stuffed a dollar bill in every barrel at the factory I wouldn't carry home a brand new Mossberg shotgun of any kind.
I wouldn't take a fortune for my old Mossy 500. When all those fancy ones are fell apart, it'll still be shooting. Most reliable, plain old functional shotgun on the planet.

Easygo

I’ve had the three B-S. I’ve had and seen more Browning’s jam than any other maker. Never had a beretta pattern very well. And had a a benelli stock that came loose and was never the same along with another benelli something was wrong with the barrel all together cause it shot a foot low

Easygo

Think I’m going to go for a Mossberg and just see. I shoot a lot of different loads and chokes patterning. Just for fun and I think that’s why I’ve had problems with them all , I guess so many heavy turkey loads it takes a toll on them

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I have several shot guns and my old Mossberg 12g is still my favorite. From there I go to my Charles Daly 20g as its reliable and lightweight. Folks overlook the old single shots now days but savage has some cool single shots. They also have a 410 that's capable of killing turkey at 50 yards (so I have read) for 200$.

Buckman18

If I were buying a pump gun dedicated for turkeys, it’d be a Mossberg.

Mark K

Banned
For the record I own several Benelli’s and never had an issue with any of them. With that being said I wanted a dedicated shotgun for turkeys and decided one of the youth shotguns we had would fit the bill.
I took a youth 870 20ga and put a FF3 on it. Got Sumtoy to make a choke for TSS and have used it exclusively for the last 5-6 years. Everything from Osceolas to Merriam’s...even at distances that I’m not proud of because of my misjudging ranges on the prairie. This gun was one of the first I bought for my youngest, and he’s 21 now. Doesn’t jam, hits where I am, and kills turkeys just as far and dead as any 12ga. Lightweight and compact works well for the walking I do chasing turkeys.

Bubba_1122

Got my first Remington 870 Wingmaster 51 years ago for Christmas. Thing was built well. 16 gauge. Killed a lot of critters with it in the years that followed.

Migrated to Browning in 1973. Have since migrated to Beretta and Benelli. M2's been a great gun. So has Beretta.

Still, for turkeys, I shoot an 870 (mostly 20 gauge). Has been great for me. I like that I control the process when the heats on.

That said, have heard that Remington's quality and service ain't what it used to be. Recently bought an 870 Wingmaster in 28 gauge (Wingmaster has Rem Chokes and the Express is fixed choke). Buttplate came from the factory broken. Called Remington and they were to send me a replacement under warranty. Got the package last week. They sent the wrong piece.

I called and the guy said, "yea, I see we sent a different part, but we didn't have the part you needed in stock"

You can't fix stupid (here's your sign).

I went online and just bought what I needed from another vendor for $12. Arrived yesterday.

At it's core it seems this whole conversation becomes sort of a Ford/Chevy type of process (at least between those gun companies that have been in business for 50 or 100 years - much boils down to personal preference).

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Shotgun just holds the important part, the choke and the shell. Rest is up to the holder of the gun. I missed my first turkey about 27 yrs ago and figured I better buy a real turkey gun. Mossberg 500 in original Realtree. Iron sights. I killed every turkey, but one with it since then.17349927_1867439696813407_5489353309548699128_o - Copy.jpg