Lake Burton Trout

Bjrink

Trout fishing has been hit or miss lately, but the spot fishing is always good. Fish early or late on the weekends

deathwish

I saw his picture last year, he is a true fisherman. That was a beautiful fish, what size have you been catching this year?

Rabun

Was on burton this past weekend. Trolled for trout Friday evening until dark and at first light Sunday am. Not a touch. Trout fishing has been discouraging over the last couple of years...for me anyway. Hope someone got into a few.

deathwish

Was on burton this past weekend. Trolled for trout Friday evening until dark and at first light Sunday am. Not a touch. Trout fishing has been discouraging over the last couple of years...for me anyway. Hope someone got into a few.
Hey Rabun, I was with the older guy in 2017 that caught the big rainbow that you weighed for us. I have been back several times since with getting a hit very strange. Are they still putting trout in do you ever notice any dead fish?

Rabun

I was trolling lures at 33, 28 and 25 feet deep. Up until the last three or four years, i would routinely catch browns at all of these depths throughout the year. I have never witnessed any dead floating trout to speak of, but if they are dying off, would they necessarily float? According to DNR, they have been stocking consistent numbers of trout year to year, but in my mind, something is impacting the numbers. I used to chat with quite a few other trout fishermen in the mornings. They have all quit fishing for them now for the most part. I receive the DO sampling data from DNR and water temps seem fine in the highly oxygenated layers. Maybe they have to leave these safe depths to find prey and they get stressed? I don't know...there are some being caught as Bjrink can attest. Maybe it's just me. Going to give another good try next weekend and try different areas of the lake.

Rabun

Hi Deathwish...yea I remember that. Nice bow you had! Did that end up being the new rainbow record for Burton? Yes they say they continue to stock and as mentioned above, I have not witnessed any trout floaters. This last weekend I did see quite a few dead fish floating....bass, bream, crappie , but not a trout. I always check out the floaters to see what kind they are and I rarely ever see a trout. Lake was packed so I figured there were a lot of folks fishing and with live bait gut hooks, show and tell, I wanna keep it, etc., there was probably some mortality.

Rabun

I don't know. I marked plenty of bait balls 20-30 feet deep. I've kinda lost my drive for getting after them. May just turn to perch fishing...they taste better than the trout anyway. One more try at them next week I think.

Bjrink

Hey Rabun, there are a couple of things that I am always interested one is water temps, and the amount of rain that has directly effected water flow. I always check for deep water thermoclines.

nkbigdog

My son was the little guy that broke the record
Outstanding! He will remember that with you for the rest of life...Great passion and pride are built raising him the way you are doing..Congrats to the both of you!!