Lake Burton Trout

Rabun

Hey Rabun, there are a couple of things that I am always interested one is water temps, and the amount of rain that has directly effected water flow. I always check for deep water thermoclines.

Thanks Bjrink! Do you see the clines on your electronics? And curious at what depths you generally see these deeper thermoclines....patterns change and I may be trolling consistently above the fish. I guess I'm a creature of habit.

Bjrink

Thanks Bjrink! Do you see the clines on your electronics? And curious at what depths you generally see these deeper thermoclines....patterns change and I may be trolling consistently above the fish. I guess I'm a creature of habit.
Generally I will mark a line on the graph but the way I really are for sure is a simple water meter made by “fish hawk”. The meter registers the temp every 5’ and I always look for a 6 degree water change. Do not be afraid to troll a line at the 38’ mark. I’m headed up there early in the morning and using our G3. Come see me if you’re there.

Rabun

Appreciate that! I will look for you. Probably won't be on the water until the afternoon though but will keep an eye for you. Good luck!

greg_n_clayton

Appreciate that! I will look for you. Probably won't be on the water until the afternoon though but will keep an eye for you. Good luck!
I know you guys are trying to perfect the artificial bite. I like live bait such as night crawlers and herring. Drift a night crawler in a harness without the beads and spinner. Herring free line or just enough weight to get it down slow. You don't won't to kill it sinking it too fast !

Bjrink

No Greg, I’m a live bait guy. But I have never tried a crawler harness in a 100’ or water before. Maybe that is what I’m doing wrong

greg_n_clayton

No Greg, I’m a live bait guy. But I have never tried a crawler harness in a 100’ or water before. Maybe that is what I’m doing wrong
I am gona send ya a pm

greg_n_clayton

Not really a trolling harness. I PM'd ya. Down lining and drfting them is what I've done.

Rabun

I'm not against live bait at all. Caught a lot of trout on herring and shiners, and if herring was easier to acquire up there, I would use more of it. I transitioned to trolling artificials and had a lot of luck with them over the years up until three years ago. I've got quite a few harnesses I use for walleye. May give them a try this weekend drifting them for trout. Thanks for the advice Greg!

greg_n_clayton

Generally I will mark a line on the graph but the way I really are for sure is a simple water meter made by “fish hawk”. The meter registers the temp every 5’ and I always look for a 6 degree water change. Do not be afraid to troll a line at the 38’ mark. I’m headed up there early in the morning and using our G3. Come see me if you’re there.
Ok. I haven't been in here. Thank you sir. This answers my question I was referring to in my PM. Thanks again.

Teh Wicked

Just got my new Helix 7 with SI and the Lakemaster v5 card for it, planning on taking it up there this summer on the yak with a couple dozen herring to try and find a Lake Trout.

greg_n_clayton

I'm not against live bait at all. Caught a lot of trout on herring and shiners, and if herring was easier to acquire up there, I would use more of it. I transitioned to trolling artificials and had a lot of luck with them over the years up until three years ago. I've got quite a few harnesses I use for walleye. May give them a try this weekend drifting them for trout. Thanks for the advice Greg!
There is a place to get herring on the Habersham side of low gap (flat creek). The road where they are comes out on 197 I do believe. I usually go across low gap or in from old 441 north of Clarkesville. I can get ya more info if ya want. I don't know the road names or numbers, just how to get there. It is out in the country and is a honor system.

Rabun

I've heard of that place Greg. I'll have to go out and try and find it.

Well trolled quite a bit this weekend with no results. Although...one of the few trips I came back with more tackle than I left with...found this floater advertising a free lure

free lure.JPG

greg_n_clayton

It is something Church Rd. You turn west at the 4 way stop north of Clarkesville. Out there 6 or miles, there is a fire station on the left. He is down the dirt road that goes behind the fire station a mile or so. His drive way is to the left