Summit vs Buckshot

NickDeer

So, with deer season just a few short months away, I am looking for a climbing deer stand. I have narrowed my search down to a Summit Viper SD or a Buckshot Bigshot 24. The reason I go for Buckshot is because I know people who have had great success with them, I also like how the bar goes all the way around the tree. The only thing I don't like is the price. The Bigshot 24 is $380 dollars with shipping. This leads me to the Summits, We all know that Summit is a good deer stand company I just don't like the fact having the cable going around the tree then the bar. Can somebody try persuading me to one of those options?
https://www.buckshotmfg.com/www.buckshotmfg.com/bigshotclassicclimbingtreestand-2-1.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Trees...d&qid=1559688390&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Hillbilly stalker

I have had both. The Summit is hands down the best stand. Its quieter, more comfortable and safer. If you put a stand that uses a bar around the tree, on a hard bark tree like a water oak or pin oak, it will slip. The Summit wont. There are no knobs or small parts to fool with when using the Summit. That bar may make you feel safer, but in all actuality , the small small bolt in the bar is what your life depends on, a cable is much stronger.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
As much as I dislike a summit, I have to recommend the summit between the two stands.
Whopping eight pounds lighter, aluminum vs steel and much cheaper but quality second to none with great warranty and customer service.

NickDeer

As much as I dislike a summit, I have to recommend the summit between the two stands.
Whopping eight pounds lighter, aluminum vs steel and much cheaper but quality second to none with great warranty and customer service.
I will have to agree with you, Buckshots customer service has been awful this past week.

Blackston

I laughed when I read it. I spend about a day a week ( 24 hrs collectively ) all season long in a summit and I’m no little fella. Hands down no contest Summit

NickDeer

I have had both. The Summit is hands down the best stand. Its quieter, more comfortable and safer. If you put a stand that uses a bar around the tree, on a hard bark tree like a water oak or pin oak, it will slip. The Summit wont. There are no knobs or small parts to fool with when using the Summit. That bar may make you feel safer, but in all actuality , the small small bolt in the bar is what your life depends on, a cable is much stronger.
So you would recommend the Summit Viper SD?

Blackston

I use a Goliath but it’s basically a viper for fat boys Yes a viper s d will Not disappoint you

hunter 85

I’ve got two older summits 03/04 models one is the gun hunter that is a basic viper that will fold down flat the other is and open front style don’t remember the model off hand both are amazing stands that are still used but wife I were to buy buy a new climber I would go Goliath or titan in the summit line and I’m no big guy I’m 5’10 215lb but I like the extra room in the stand for comfort on the long sits

NickDeer

Does anybody have experience climbing with the surround seat? It seems like it would get in the way.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
My thought.

Depending on where you hunt and your tactics - I will offer this.

I have several stands: actually nine climbers (they are Summits), and because I knew, when I bought my first stand, that I would likely own more than one, I decided to buy all the same brand and mostly the same model. I do this for several reasons, the greatest reason is Safety. Hunters usually do 50% of their climbing in dark or at least limited visibility. I acknowledge some risk climbing trees. All my stands are set up exactly the same. Nothing is different. When I climb, it is familiar, second nature. I am not saying that if you have a several different model or brands of stands then it is exponentially more dangerous, but I am more comfortable knowing where everything is and having the same “climbing rhythm” (if that is such a thing) every time.

Buying parts and maintenance is also a benefit I have. I went with Summit because I recognized a good product many years ago. This has worked well for me. I have extra cables and foot hooks as backups... makes everything simple.

So my recommendation is not what brand to buy, but to try to stick with a brand that you like if you think you will eventually get more stands.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Does anybody have experience climbing with the surround seat? It seems like it would get in the way.

I do not like them. As mentioned above I am a die hard Summit guy, but I prefer to sit facing the tree. When I climb my seat is already under my butt and it will stay that way the entire hunt. I no longer bow hunt and I find a lot of advantages hunting with a rifle and facing the tree, I cut the backs off my seats and add extra padding on the front rail on my Summits for my backrest. For one thing it is quieter (no bark noise). One advantage is that I don’t have to move my feet around the seat once I get up (safer IMO). If you extend the seat straps as low as possible you can be more comfortable than sitting in the “face away from the tree” method. I have a really thick GP strap that acts as a makeshift seat if I decide to turn around in the stand (without moving my feet more than a few inches to rotate). It is quiet and like I said earlier, all my straps are set at the same height so I can turn around while hunting and sit down for a steady shot. The makeshift seat (the GP strap) is not as comfortable as the provided summit seat but it is very safe and quick to go 360 degrees.

Last edited:

Gumpbuck

I've owned both Summit and Buckshot. Summit is what I still own. In my mind, it's not even close. If you did go with Summit, you have made a great choice.
For me, I didn't like the nobs and pins. It's also heavier. Summit backs and sets up easier. I have weight up to 355LBS and I never felt unsafe in my summit. I own 2 of them.

Latest posts