How Archaeology Disproves Noah's Flood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I didn’t click on it.
But I’m glad they know everything.

I heard through the grapevine he was the only one to collect on his flood insurance!??????
Collect from who? Lololol?‍♂️

atlashunter

I didn’t click on it.
But I’m glad they know everything.

I heard through the grapevine he was the only one to collect on his flood insurance!??????

He doesn't claim to know everything. There is only one group here who claims to have omniscience on their side.

Nice straw man though. ;)

strawman.png

ambush80

1 Corinthians 1
20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

So, there.

ambush80

Why is it that if someone tries to use science to prove the Ark story then that's good and proper science and we should take it as proof, but in any other instance it's "The foolishness of the World"?

atlashunter

Why is it that if someone tries to use science to prove the Ark story then that's good and proper science and we should take it as proof, but in any other instance it's "The foolishness of the World"?

Because
fingers-in-ears-gif-9.gif

GeorgiaBob

It is possible to disprove a 17th century religious writer's calculation of the date of the "Flood," Bishop Usher's dating was dismissed by most religious scholars as early as the middle 19th century. More difficult is proving that a significant flood event affecting much of the Middle East, especially the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers, did NOT occur.

Fact is, many non-Hebrew tales, "histories," founding myths, and legends also recount a time of great flood. The current school of thought among real scientists is that the story of "Noah's flood" is a retelling of stories that predate the reign of David in Jerusalem (when the first written collections that later became the Jewish Holy Books were being written) and are likely based on an actual flood event!

So the Flood is not a myth, archaeology does NOT disprove Noah's Flood, and the Bible is not a fairy tale.

atlashunter

It is possible to disprove a 17th century religious writer's calculation of the date of the "Flood," Bishop Usher's dating was dismissed by most religious scholars as early as the middle 19th century. More difficult is proving that a significant flood event affecting much of the Middle East, especially the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers, did NOT occur.

Fact is, many non-Hebrew tales, "histories," founding myths, and legends also recount a time of great flood. The current school of thought among real scientists is that the story of "Noah's flood" is a retelling of stories that predate the reign of David in Jerusalem (when the first written collections that later became the Jewish Holy Books were being written) and are likely based on an actual flood event!

So the Flood is not a myth, archaeology does NOT disprove Noah's Flood, and the Bible is not a fairy tale.

So where does that leave the Noah story of the bible if it was just a local flood?

GeorgiaBob

So where does that leave the Noah story of the bible if it was just a local flood?

It leaves the "Noah Story" as a recounting of a part of the history of a people who believed in one Creator God, celebrated their relationship with the Divine, honored their ancestors, counted upon the grace of God to help them overcome adversity, and recorded their experience in a collection of books they (and about 3 billion people alive today) believe are inspired by that one God.

While the scribes (theologians of their era) of David's court, and the Priests and Scribes of Solomon's court, may not have been as informed as modern physicists, astronomers or geologists, and their world view may be considered "limited" by today's standards, these were educated people who tried to get it right. They believed the works they composed, copied, transcribed, or edited were inspired by God even though they did NOT then consider their books Holy works.

Hillbilly stalker

It has always amazed me that the great lengths of trouble non-believers will go to, just to try to cast doubt in believers . What do you have to gain by doing this ? I promise you will not be lonely where your going. What do you get out of it ?

atlashunter

It leaves the "Noah Story" as a recounting of a part of the history of a people who believed in one Creator God, celebrated their relationship with the Divine, honored their ancestors, counted upon the grace of God to help them overcome adversity, and recorded their experience in a collection of books they (and about 3 billion people alive today) believe are inspired by that one God.

While the scribes (theologians of their era) of David's court, and the Priests and Scribes of Solomon's court, may not have been as informed as modern physicists, astronomers or geologists, and their world view may be considered "limited" by today's standards, these were educated people who tried to get it right. They believed the works they composed, copied, transcribed, or edited were inspired by God even though they did NOT then consider their books Holy works.

Are you saying the bible is not the inerrant word of god?

Artfuldodger

It has always amazed me that the great lengths of trouble non-believers will go to, just to try to cast doubt in believers . What do you have to gain by doing this ? I promise you will not be lonely where your going. What do you get out of it ?

I've seen Christians go to great lengths to prove Biblical things by science as well.

atlashunter

Does it matter if people hold beliefs that are true or false? Does it matter how people come to their conclusions about what is true or false?

Hillbilly stalker

Does it matter if people hold beliefs that are true or false? Does it matter how people come to their conclusions about what is true or false?
So your out to save the world then ? If not...what do you get out of trying to take their beliefs and religion from them ?