How to Pray Like a Redneck

LittleDrummerBoy

See what happens when they invite a redneck to preach!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
My how the word has changed in less than a generation.

LittleDrummerBoy

And how much of the 41 minute sermon did you actually watch to offer your analysis above?

Or are you in the camp described by this Scripture, "He who answers before listening, that is his folly and his shame?" (Proverbs 18:13)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
And how much of the 41 minute sermon did you actually watch to offer your analysis above?

Or are you in the camp described by this Scripture, "He who answers before listening, that is his folly and his shame?" (Proverbs 18:13)

Well, thanks to Jeff Foxworthy, everybody wants to be a redneck nowadays. They carry the title with pride. In my day a redneck was white trash, riff raff. If you called somebody a redneck back then you better be ready to fight, because it was an insult.

Personally, I`m proud to not be a redneck.

Hillbilly stalker

My understanding the term " redneck" comes from 2 noted sources .

1. Northern West Virginia miners who marched to Southern West Virginia to help Unionize the miners. They wore red bandana's around their necks to the battle of Blair mountain and the Logan county coal war. That is the only place the U.S military intentionly bombed American citizens.

.2 Also South Georgia workers who spent their life bent over in the fields in the hot Georgia sun scratching out a living for their family.

I don't have a problem being called a redneck, it's a badge of honor for a hard working honest man. Now in today's society, people have went and got educated and found it acceptable to insult or make fun of people who have had a hard life, and are probably struggling. A good man will try to help someone who is struggling instead of poking fun of him. And if you take a serious look back into your family tree....you mite not have to look too far to find someone who worked their fingers to the bone so their kids would have a better and easier life. That's sacrifice . The newer generations have twisted the term " redneck" as a derogatory term. That's their mistake, not ours.

Hillbilly stalker

I remember daddy telling of a man back home who lived out on the point on Hickory ridge. Every morning around 4:30 am, he went out to his barn and lit a lantern and prayed. And son I mean prayed LOUD ! Daddy said everybody in the holler and on both sides of the hill could hear him. He prayed and talked to the Lord for a long time each morning and he wasn't ashamed of it. Every time I heard that song " Give me that old time religion", I thought of Mr. Donahue. He was a man and a Christian 24/7 365 days a year. And if you were around him, you wanted to be like him. He was a good man. I enjoyed the video.

Cmp1

BANNED

1. Northern West Virginia miners who marched to Southern West Virginia to help Unionize the miners. They wore red bandana's around their necks to the battle of Blair mountain and the Logan county coal war. That is the only place the U.S military intentionly bombed American citizens.

.2 Also South Georgia workers who spent their life bent over in the fields in the hot Georgia sun scratching out a living for their family.

I don't have a problem being called a redneck, it's a badge of honor for a hard working honest man. Now in today's society, people have went and got educated and found it acceptable to insult or make fun of people who have had a hard life, and are probably struggling. A good man will try to help someone who is struggling instead of poking fun of him. And if you take a serious look back into your family tree....you mite not have to look too far to find someone who worked their fingers to the bone so their kids would have a better and easier life. That's sacrifice . The newer generations have twisted the term " redneck" as a derogatory term. That's their mistake, not ours.
Well worded,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED

This right here is how we feel up here,,,,hard working,Resourceful,,,,not derogatory at all,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not offended at all by somebody calling me a redneck, unless it's in a condescending fashion. I felt the same way decades before I ever heard of Jeff Foxworthy. I've always heard that term used in the context of a hardworking rural individual, unless it's coming from some southerner-hating urban yankeee liberal. We just called white trash white trash or lazy welfare bums. The back of my neck has been red for most of my life from working and staying outside most of the time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember daddy telling of a man back home who lived out on the point on Hickory ridge. Every morning around 4:30 am, he went out to his barn and lit a lantern and prayed. And son I mean prayed LOUD ! Daddy said everybody in the holler and on both sides of the hill could hear him. He prayed and talked to the Lord for a long time each morning and he wasn't ashamed of it. Every time I heard that song " Give me that old time religion", I thought of Mr. Donahue. He was a man and a Christian 24/7 365 days a year. And if you were around him, you wanted to be like him. He was a good man. I enjoyed the video.
There was a feller lived around the road from me for years who was a preacher in some kind of strict fundamentalist fringe church. He would get out in the middle of the road about the time it was starting to crack daylight every morning, marching up and down the road with his arms up in the air, praying, shouting, and praising the Lord. In a trance, almost, seemingly oblivious to everything around him. I almost ran over him several times. I think he was doing this more as a public display than from sincere religious belief.

gordon 2

The west was won, many would agree, as far as firearm use goes, with the shotgun. It is kind of nice that the range Cowboy Church or the Rodeo Church would witness to union rednecks or even fenced in country folk.

I am reminded of Jonah 4:10 Then said the Lord, you have had pity on the gourd, for which you have not labored nor made it grow, which came up in a night and perished in a night. 11. And should not I spare Nineveh, ....

There is much truth or many truths in the presentation... I must trust that the audience ( the assembly ) needed the messages and was receptive to many of them.

What I heard was an effort to to make it known that included and recognized were many different people into the body of Christ. Not all were at the same "place", or from the same place, but their unity included their differences and that was ok and almost anything was to be expected in a service. ( Except the laying of hands on someone else's kids. : ) Also what I understood was that there was an effort to point to point out to the assembly that this particular church was a legit church.

I felt the bible was used as a check on the ways things would proceed in the service and future services.

I find the part about elders, the oil and its use "because it is biblical" --- interesting. I felt the reasoning was that: because it was/is in the bible then it must surely have power and purpose today.

But Cowboys who traditionally value the lonesome and rugged individualism and isolation ministering to "country folk" who depend on the community of farmers and farm hands, even not to mention rednecks--- traditionally, is very interesting.

Last edited:

gordon 2

I suppose if L S can make a point here, so can this :

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Long before Jeff Foxworthy, my view of what a redneck is was formed by growing up in S Louisiana in the 70s and 80s. My dad was a rural redneck, and my mom was from a large urban matriarchal Hispanic family. My dad's ancestry was not quite french enough to be a true Cajun (or coon A!! as they were called). His ancestry was from a poor farming family in Amite.

We moved to Lake Charles for my dad's work and grew up enjoying some of the best hunting and fishing Louisiana has to offer. But our approach was always more redneck than like "city slickers", gentlemen hunters, or elitists. We were as happy catching black drum and catfish as we were catching speckled trout and bass. My brothers and I would usually catch our own bait for fishing and roamed freely in the woods around our house. I could call geese in without any proper call before my 12th birthday.

The pic below is from a fishing trip just after my 10th birthday. My grampa had given my brother and I new fishing poles, and my dad took us to the Calcasieu jetties in our 16 ft aluminum boat. I still recall my dad cleaning those big drum with a knife made from the leaf spring of a jeep that he had brought home from Vietnam.

I've had more than my share of negative feedback from liberals, city folks, and wealthy rural elistists for being a redneck. Perhaps being an educated redneck with uncompromising Biblical values attracts more, but being a redneck is nothing I'm ashamed of.

Big Black Drum.jpg

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Hank sums up nicely how I think of rednecks.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I didn`t mean to build a fire in here. It wasn`t my intent to offend anybody. My apologies.

Good day.

Hillbilly stalker

i don't see no fire Nic, just opened up a discussion. I like that, I like seeing different views from different backgrounds an different parts of the country . It takes all kinds of us to make a world. All is well (y)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Thanks. My background is extreme rural South Georgia, raised on a subsistance farm where tobacco and cotton were the money crops. Never had much money but we always had plenty to eat. The lower Oconee River swamp surrounded us and was my playground. I come from a long line of turpentiners, moonshiners, farmers, and hog thieves.

Israel

BANNED
Yeah...I didn't think you were being argumentative...I saw Easy Rider!

The stricter definitions aside, it was just assumed (outside the south) that to be a redneck meant you were a purposefully ignorant racist devoted to the Star and Bars and were eagerly awaiting to abuse some unsuspecting innocent venturing too far upriver.

It wasn't a matter of being right about definitions or even judgments, it was just a handy catch all caricature for everything anyone saw wrong (would imagine or impugn) to the south.

southern-word-of-the-day-namaste-yallgonna-evacuater-namaste-right-36237645.png

Last edited:

j_seph

Did I miss somewhere about praying from your heart rather than making it a habit to pray? Habits can be broke, habits become repetitive. If someone here is planning to fast, it does not have to be food you fast from. Fasting comes from the heart and is between you and God. If the TV is taking up your time, fast from watching it and take that time to commune with God.

Redneck sure seems to be singling out a group