2019 Colorado First Rifle Elk

GTHunter

Here is my elk from Colorado's First Rifle season this year. I drove out there by myself and got it done in a unit that is over the counter for a lot of hunts. First Rifle is not, which is why I chose it. This was my first elk, and second elk hunt, both times in the same unit.

Elk_Cropped.png

I shot him 8 miles from the truck and covered a total of 65 miles in 5 days. I was insane to think that I could pack it out by myself and got very lucky that I ran into some very nice and helpful hunters who helped me more than I could have ever dreamed. It was a perfect week and an experience that I will remember for ever. Eventually I will post a full write up of the adventure, but I have been busy getting the meat all processed and picking back up my 9-5 job. Stay tuned for the story.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Here is my elk from Colorado's First Rifle season this year. I drove out there by myself and got it done in a unit that is over the counter for a lot of hunts. First Rifle is not, which is why I chose it. This was my first elk, and second elk hunt, both times in the same unit.

View attachment 987662

I shot him 8 miles from the truck and covered a total of 65 miles in 5 days. I was insane to think that I could pack it out by myself and got very lucky that I ran into some very nice and helpful hunters who helped me more than I could have ever dreamed. It was a perfect week and an experience that I will remember for ever. Eventually I will post a full write up of the adventure, but I have been busy getting the meat all processed and picking back up my 9-5 job. Stay tuned for the story.

Congrats! We rent pack llamas so we can get an elk out in one trip to the truck.

Limbhanger2881

View attachment 987662

You can pack one out 8 miles in. It would only take two trips. three if you are not in shape.

Its rough being tough ;)

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
You can pack one out 8 miles in. It would only take two trips. three if you are not in shape.

Its rough being tough ;)

If you're part mule maybe. The bull I killed a couple of years ago yielded 250 lbs. of boned out meat, 35 lbs. of cape, and 25 lbs. of antler/skull plate. That's 160 lbs. in each of 2 trips, I seriously doubt someone in excellent shape and accustomed to the altitude could do that.

Limbhanger2881

If you're part mule maybe. The bull I killed a couple of years ago yielded 250 lbs. of boned out meat, 35 lbs. of cape, and 25 lbs. of antler/skull plate. That's 160 lbs. in each of 2 trips, I seriously doubt someone in excellent shape and accustomed to the altitude could do that.

That is right. I have packed a ton of elk and I would say the average deboned elk is 210-240 pounds of meat. A hair over 100lb per pack out. I did not consider the head and cape. That would be three trips. It is tough and why I like horses.

Here is a pack out of 120lb I packed out 10 miles in the most ungodly country that I have been in.

Attachments

• Goat.JPG
    Goat.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 133

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
That is right. I have packed a ton of elk and I would say the average deboned elk is 210-240 pounds of meat. A hair over 100lb per pack out. I did not consider the head and cape. That would be three trips. It is tough and why I like horses.

Here is a pack out of 120lb I packed out 10 miles in the most ungodly country that I have been in.

I wonder if 23 and me can decipher what percent of genes you share with a pack mule!

GTHunter

Congrats! We rent pack llamas so we can get an elk out in one trip to the truck.

This is exactly what I plan to do next time. I have seen Randy Newberg and Steve Rinella use them and it looks like a fun time and I hear they are much more user friendly than horses or mules. Do you have a llama outfitter that you recommend?

GTHunter

You are going down hill in that photo! That's how you did it!

I kid. It was still a very tough pack out, even with the assistance, but I did not lose any meat to spoilage and my body came out of the trip in better shape than if I had to pack the whole thing solo. And I made some dear friends in the process. It was a win all around.

And so far the hype is real. Elk is my new favorite wild game meat. I can't get enough of it. And the hunt itself was arguably more fun than anything I could do here in Georgia.

Limbhanger2881

You are going down hill in that photo! That's how you did it!

I kid. It was still a very tough pack out, even with the assistance, but I did not lose any meat to spoilage and my body came out of the trip in better shape than if I had to pack the whole thing solo. And I made some dear friends in the process. It was a win all around.

And so far the hype is real. Elk is my new favorite wild game meat. I can't get enough of it. And the hunt itself was arguably more fun than anything I could do here in Georgia.

I heard that. I just moved back to ga from living in NW Wyoming for 4 years. I have no desire to hunt here anymore.

Also, I was side hilling at that moment. Some was down hill, a lot side hill and up hill. I actually fell at that spot going to the goat and slid down the mountain for about 50 yards. Another 50 yards was about a 500 foot drop off. The only thing fun about hunting out west is the killing. EVERYTHING else is work. Especially after you pull the trigger.

I would recommend horses in the future. There are several outfits to rent in Wyoming and Colorado. Horses make everything easier. I would rent llamas but they cant carry you. However, I hunt a place that is 35 miles in from the trail head.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Very nice dude!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
20151011_161152_resized.jpeg

This is my 1st and only elk. 9 mile pack out!!! All I had to do was lead the mule!!! That was hard enough!!!
Hats off to packing one out 8 miles on YOUR back!!

georgia_home

Awesome work! And pack job!

And thanks to the generosity and kindness of other hunters.

(Blew a tire last year scouting mulies and had some elk hunters provide a compressor to inflate my ALMOST flat spare. I carry a compressor now and have an spare spare for hunt trips in the mountains)

NCMTNHunter

Congratulations! That is a good looking fighter of a 6x6. And congratulations on having the fortitude to make that hunt happen by yourself (plus the help at the end). I talk to people all the time who say they would love to elk hunt before they die but when it comes down to it they just won't go out of fear of the unknown. You're not going to have that problem. You do need to fine a friend willing to go to take some of the load off though :LOL:

GTHunter

Great work, congratulations. Are you going to do a shoulder mount?

No I prefer European mounts. I can't get past all of the fake eyes and paint and plastic involved in a shoulder mountain. It looks too fake. Plus, euros take up less space and I didnt have to tote the hide out

GTHunter

Congratulations! That is a good looking fighter of a 6x6. And congratulations on having the fortitude to make that hunt happen by yourself (plus the help at the end). I talk to people all the time who say they would love to elk hunt before they die but when it comes down to it they just won't go out of fear of the unknown. You're not going to have that problem. You do need to fine a friend willing to go to take some of the load off though :LOL:

Yeah he was clearly the boss of the herd he was in and it looks like he earned it the hard way.

I tried to convince all of my friends to join me, but none are as crazy as me to undertake the whole ordeal. Now that they have seen the results though, they might be easier to convince next time.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
This is exactly what I plan to do next time. I have seen Randy Newberg and Steve Rinella use them and it looks like a fun time and I hear they are much more user friendly than horses or mules. Do you have a llama outfitter that you recommend?

I've rented from Buckhorn and Antero llamas and would recommend either. You need 2 llamas to pack one elk out in a single trip unless you carry half the meat.

https://llamapack.com/

http://www.anterollamas.com/