What do you guys think about an 8 team playoff now?

Madsnooker

I know many of you have argued against it previously but I just think at this point its only more fair then 4 teams. It doesn't mean I think there are 8 teams that could realistically win it but the sport is suffering at this point with only 4. Also, I love watching intriguing games during bowl season and it just seems the last few years, with only a couple games truly matering, the bowl season has died and players are opting out which is not good for college football. I was looking back since the playoff started and the top 8 would have given us some great games to watch.

This year the committee should have went to 8 teams. And for the record, I understand why so many of you didn't think OSU should have gotten in. I think they should as I think they are 1 of the 4 most talented teams and if they play up to their potential can beat anyone, but I'm a Buckeye fan. I also feel that if they had went to 8 teams this year I would have been fine with OSU being the 8 seed and playing the 1 seed since they played less games then the others.

Anyway. I just think we have to get to 8 teams for the health of college football.

What say you?

reylamb

8 teams....still using BCS committee for rankings....

5 conference champs from the power 5, as long as that champ has 2 losses or less

Highest ranked group of 5

2 at large

First round either at a smaller bowl, or the higher ranked teams home field.

then the semis, and natty.....

RipperIII

I call ** on this "health of college football" notion...prior to COVID, College Football, as well as nearly everything else was at all-time highs or in the best "health" in decades.
College football in particular with more schools participating, greater revenue generated, more scholarships, better facilities across the spectrum.

6-team play-off with the #1 & #2 seeds receiving a bye week is about as far as I would go.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think A&M should have gotten in. Not sure if they should displace OSU or Notre Dame. OSU played like 6 games and Notre Dame looked pathetic against Clempson.

ClemsonRangers

when you git to 16 game seasons, mite consider paying players a salary

TinKnocker

The sport is struggling because 2 of the 4 chosen should have unequivocally been left out. MD and OSU being in is a joke.

James12

For one, the issue is not about the quality of the team and/or how talented OSU is. If that were the factor, then the four teams most years would be AL, Clem, GA and OSU - with OKLA, UF, LSU and A&M not far behind. Debating an 8 team playoff should’ve been debated based on 18’ & 19’, and not the debacle that the committee has allowed to transpire this year. So my opinion is we wait and see another full (fair) schedule play out before we revisit the “8 team playoff”.

Madsnooker

For one, the issue is not about the quality of the team and/or how talented OSU is. If that were the factor, then the four teams most years would be AL, Clem, GA and OSU - with OKLA, UF, LSU and A&M not far behind. Debating an 8 team playoff should’ve been debated based on 18’ & 19’, and not the debacle that the committee has allowed to transpire this year. So my opinion is we wait and see another full (fair) schedule play out before we revisit the “8 team playoff”.
There have been plenty of years that an 8 team playoff was warranted. In 14 OSU was within a knats hair of being left out and that would have been a travesty. In 15 they were left out and that was a travesty. I just used OSU because of obvious reasons but I'm sure others can give other years a team was surely deserving of a playoff spot but didn't get it for lack of spots.[/QUOTE]

ldavid008

I think going to an 8 team playoff will be a tough sell. It's the school presidents that won't allow it. It wasn't that long ago when teams only played 11-12 games total including their bowl game. Now with the conference championship games and if you get into the playoffs and win you get yet another, LSU played 15 last year.

Go to an 8 team playoff and they'd have played 16 games, that's an NFL schedule. The problem is the school presidents are saying that adding more games puts too much on the players, they're supposed to be students first.

Adding even more games and they'll have to start paying players. Problem there is that not all schools can afford it especially when you factor in all the other sports' players too. You'll also see more opt-outs as players call an even earlier end to their seasons to protect their health before signing those multi-million dollar NFL and endorsment contracts.

Last edited: