IKEA land purchase

Just read where IKEA out of sweden has just purchased 11,000 acres of land in the Altamaha basin. Will hunting still be allowed there? Makes me wonder

GoldDot40

This is from one of the articles I read on it...
Local timber-based economies will continue to be supported, Mattsson said, and the public will have access to much of the land for recreational purposes.
Who knows what "recreational purposed" will be allowed. Most outdoorsmen define hunting as recreational....some define it as a necessity...and some see it as conservation. Then some see it as all the above. But who knows how IKEA will see it?

This is actually pretty scary. Selling our state out like this. Yes, I did read that recreational purposes will be allowed but would not be at all surprised if hunting isn't one of them.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I know several European countries restrict foreigners from buying property.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Ikea is virtue signaling with their "save the land from development" line.

I doubt any developers were going down there to do anything other than hunting.

What Ikea should have said is that they bought 11,000 acres to use at wetlands mitigation for all the wetlands they build over with their huge stores and parking lots.

I hope they turn that land into a WMA, but with their customer base I doubt that will happen. Maybe it will be a hiking and bird watching place.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Back in the 90s, we had a lease in McIntosh county along the Altamaha river. We leased the land from Rayonier. Some years later, the land was sold, but we were allowed to lease it for a few more years. I can't remember who we paid the lease to after that, but I think Rayonier was still taking the payments. Anyway, one day dad and I went there to do some summer club work. Once we were at our gate, there was a car parked off to the side of it. It was a blistering hot summer day, and the flies and skeeters were just awful. As we were easing on up the road past our gate, we seen 2 guys walking up ahead, but not right together. One was up the road a little further. When they turned around and saw us coming, they both ran into the woods. So we sped up to about where they were at, and stopped the truck. We got out and listened for a minute or two, and then called for them to come out of the woods. At first, there was no response. Then, one of the guys came out of the woods and over to us. He was pouring sweat, and had skeeter and yellow fly bites all over him. We asked him what they were doing. He said they were just looking at the land. About that time, the older gentleman came out and walked up. He was pouring sweat and worn slap out. We asked again what they were doing. They said they were just looking at the land. They both had a thick, foreign accent. We asked, why did y'all run in the woods if that's all you were doing. Dad asked them, "y'all know y'all are trespassing, don't you? We have posted signs up at the locked gate y'all walked past." The older gentleman said, "We own this land, and this is the first time we've actually looked at it after purchasing it." You guessed it, they were father and son, and were from Sweden. After that, we had a laugh, and took them to camp with us where they could rinse off with our pump well, and rest for a bit. We gave them something cold to drink, and they both were very thankful.

The old man said they had bought that land, and they had never stepped foot on it. They also asked us what all we hunted here. They wanted to know if we hunted elephants, tigers, or lions. I am not kidding. They asked us that. We told them heck no, just whitetail deer and hog. We talked for a good few minutes, and took them back to their car. The road was too rough for them to drive their car on. When they went to leave, we all shook hands. We told them to come back one day, and we'd cook them up some food. The old man thanked us for the offer, but said they won't be coming back. And that was it. We never seen nor heard from those guys again after that.

This may sound crazy, but after reading about this IKEA land purchase, I got to wondering. So I went and did some research and found the guy who founded IKEA. And I be danged if I don't believe this is the old man we encountered that day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingvar_Kamprad I don't remember them ever mentioning anything about IKEA, but they were obviously pretty wealthy. Who buys land in another country for a few million dollars, without first stepping foot on it? Who buys land anywhere, without first checking it out?

State owns that land now. It's supposed to be protected and to never be cut.

Last edited:

Josh3807

Dang, that is pretty cool that you met with them and were able to have a good conversation. I always wondered the same thing with people buying sight-unseen anything when its such an investment level purchase.

Also, its pretty funny that they asked about elephants, tigers or lions and they are just wondering around with no way out if something happened.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
That dude was worth over 50 billion dollars. You would have thought he would have know there wasn't a huntable elephant population in North America.

Resica

Back in the 90s, we had a lease in McIntosh county along the Altamaha river. We leased the land from Rayonier. Some years later, the land was sold, but we were allowed to lease it for a few more years. I can't remember who we paid the lease to after that, but I think Rayonier was still taking the payments. Anyway, one day dad and I went there to do some summer club work. Once we were at our gate, there was a car parked off to the side of it. It was a blistering hot summer day, and the flies and skeeters were just awful. As we were easing on up the road past our gate, we seen 2 guys walking up ahead, but not right together. One was up the road a little further. When they turned around and saw us coming, they both ran into the woods. So we sped up to about where they were at, and stopped the truck. We got out and listened for a minute or two, and then called for them to come out of the woods. At first, there was no response. Then, one of the guys came out of the woods and over to us. He was pouring sweat, and had skeeter and yellow fly bites all over him. We asked him what they were doing. He said they were just looking at the land. About that time, the older gentleman came out and walked up. He was pouring sweat and worn slap out. We asked again what they were doing. They said they were just looking at the land. They both had a thick, foreign accent. We asked, why did y'all run in the woods if that's all you were doing. Dad asked them, "y'all know y'all are trespassing, don't you? We have posted signs up at the locked gate y'all walked past." The older gentleman said, "We own this land, and this is the first time we've actually looked at it after purchasing it." You guessed it, they were father and son, and were from Sweden. After that, we had a laugh, and took them to camp with us where they could rinse off with our pump well, and rest for a bit. We gave them something cold to drink, and they both were very thankful.

The old man said they had bought that land, and they had never stepped foot on it. They also asked us what all we hunted here. They wanted to know if we hunted elephants, tigers, or lions. I am not kidding. They asked us that. We told them heck no, just whitetail deer and hog. We talked for a good few minutes, and took them back to their car. The road was too rough for them to drive their car on. When they went to leave, we all shook hands. We told them to come back one day, and we'd cook them up some food. The old man thanked us for the offer, but said they won't be coming back. And that was it. We never seen nor heard from those guys again after that.

This may sound crazy, but after reading about this IKEA land purchase, I got to wondering. So I went and did some research and found the guy who founded IKEA. And I be danged if I don't believe this is the old man we encountered that day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingvar_Kamprad I don't remember them ever mentioning anything about IKEA, but they were obviously pretty wealthy. Who buys land in another country for a few million dollars, without first stepping foot on it? Who buys land anywhere, without first checking it out?

State owns that land now. It's supposed to be protected and to never be cut.
Why did they run?

Oldstick

Just read where IKEA out of sweden has just purchased 11,000 acres of land in the Altamaha basin. Will hunting still be allowed there? Makes me wonder

You don't have to wonder. Check out the asking prices for the (as of now) very limited supply of houses along the I-16 corridor going down to the seaports towards the GA coast. Check out the vastly increased traffic of container trucks headed that way, including I-16 and US 341 etc. Huge shipping/warehouse developments already in the SE middle GA area, Academy Sports, for example, and I am sure much more development to come.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Dang, that is pretty cool that you met with them and were able to have a good conversation. I always wondered the same thing with people buying sight-unseen anything when its such an investment level purchase.

Also, its pretty funny that they asked about elephants, tigers or lions and they are just wondering around with no way out if something happened.
That dude was worth over 50 billion dollars. You would have thought he would have know there wasn't a huntable elephant population in North America.
Why did they run?
I can't say for certain it was them, but I honestly do believe it was. They were very friendly, as we were to them, even before they told us they owned the land. We never acted angry at all towards them. After we talked and they told us what they were doing, and that they owned the land, we told them we leased the land to hunt. That's when they asked what all we were hunting. As to why they ran, I am not sure. Maybe they didn't know for certain where exactly they were. Also, cell phones weren't a big thing at that time. And I do not recall seeing a map in their hands. But I absolutely remember them saying they were father and son, and from Sweden. It had to be them.

They sure did talk funny, and they probably thought the same about dad and I. :bounce:

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Silver and his Dad were strapped, I'da been nice too if I wasn't !