Your land story..

Jimmypop

RatherB .....it was 54 years ago. Things have changed. Buy a local paper that runs legals for the county. Instructions will be in the add or Magistrates office. Must have money ready if you have winning bid. As I said 54 years ago and only once. Never got caught up enough to look for another.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I forgot the details in the question.

I found an add in gon. I looked at hardcopies and found a list of realtors in the area I wanted. I checked and kept files on all the places that was I interested in. Looked for almost 2 years. Rode about 5 or 6 places and was about to give up when I found my place.

Land was hovering about $1100/acre. I got mine for right at $1005. Add-on land ....I figured i would pay double for an attached 30 acres. I paid just under 1500. The old realtor i bought from and the then owner gave me first rights 1 week before it was supposed to "hit the market".

Lots of similar tracts are easily breaking $2k up to $3k usually 200 acre plus spots.

I didn't buy the land as an Investment tho. I bought it to go feral on and do whatever, whenever I the heck want.

bilgerat

Senior
I started getting the urge to buy my own land in my mid 30s and finally realized my dream 4 and a half years ago at the age of 59, I searched for several years for the right area and decided the Jasper county area was where I wanted to buy. I spent months looking at many parcels and finally found the right little 14 acres. Its a mix of mature pine and hardwoods with a old home place up by the dirt road.. It had an old well, a power pole and had been used as a deer camp back years ago, it even has a small deer cooler and a 2-seater out house!! Since purchasing it Ive put up a temporary power pole with a meter and set up a camper with a covered front porch, I had 2 acres cleared and put in a food plot area, added a feeder and dug in an inground water trough, I also put up a few ladder stands and built a nice tower box stand overlooking the plot. Ive taken several deer and a couple of gobblers off it so far. I also Bought a kubota tractor and really enjoy just going down and working around the place and hanging out there. MY 8 II.jpeg turk 23.jpeghouse1.jpgttime.jpg

Last edited:

basstrkr

Great Thread!
I bought 26 acres- kept it 3 years doubled my money when i sold it. - Paid off my house mortgage with the money- I felt like I had won the lottery.
later land prices went toooo high!
6 years ago I retired and new I needed at retirement project - Bought 47 acres- half is cultivatable- I've worked and played on it 3 to 4 days a week. fever since. Made watermelons, dove shoots, and taters and memories.
My impossible dream was to have a house, a wife, a son , a farm , a camper, and a boat all of which would never caused me any aggravation.
So at least I got the land.

SC Hunter

Growing up my grandparents always had multiple pieces of property coming and going but Papa always had the 30 acres around his house. I knew early on in life I'd love to own property of my own but didn't know if I would ever be able to make it happen.

Fast forward 20 years or so and I'm married to my wife and we've talked about buying some property and eventually building a house. In the county we're in if property comes up at a decent price it sells pretty quick and we wanted to stay in the county because of a good school system and kids loving the schools. I was at a county commissioners meeting and a big piece of land was having the timber thinned and then broke up in smaller tracts and it was in the perfect area of the county for us.

Fast forward a month or so and it comes up for sale. My wife and I went and looked at it all the first day and picked the best one and called and made an offer on 14 acres. We went back and forth with the owner a few times and we settled on something we were all good with. So we were the owners of 14 acres of property now and in a good spot financially with things.

We had been trying to have a baby for about 2 years and had about settled on if it doesn't happen it doesnt happen. My wife had 2 crumb snatchers from a previous marriage and I didn't have any biological children. Well......I drew up house plans for a 3 br 2 bath house for us nice open floor plan type home. July of 2019 my wife turns up pregnant and tells me as I'm watering the garden at the house in town, those poor peppers about got drowned as I just dropped the water hose and walked inside with her.

We threw those plans away and drew up new ones 4 bed 2.5 bath this time. We sold our house in town and moved into my in laws rental house for about a year. We just finished with the new house and got moved in. I've been able to shoot guns off the back porch and watch deer in the yard and the quail sing every day! The dogs love it and the kids love it. It's hard to keep a 1 year old from being absolutely filthy and I'm fine with it. We've already talked about it and if the guy behind us puts his 20 acres up for sale we're going to buy it if it's reasonable in price.

My wife wanted one thing and that was a soaker tub and we made sure she got one. Poor girl just wanted to sit in her tub before the house was ever finished. Haha it isn't much land or a big huge nice house but we love it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-073221_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-073221_Gallery.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230511-073501_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-073501_Facebook.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230511-073357_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-073357_Facebook.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230511-073338_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-073338_Facebook.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20230429-182719_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429-182719_Snapchat.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20230511-073951_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-073951_Facebook.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Hawken2222

I had always wanted and dreamed of owning my own land. I had been kind of kicking tires and looking at various tracts for a few years. I found a cople of places I really liked. On one of them I waited too long and someone gobbled it up and another one I remember was just out of my price range. I could have probably still purchased it but I was a little scared of the commitment. Then spring of 2020 during turkey season they started logging on my lease. That really put a charge in me and got me seriously looking for my own place. After looking pretty hard the remainder of that spring and summer, I found the right tract. I ended up closing on my little 69-acre slice of heaven in August of 2020. When I say it was the right tract, it checked all of the boxes for me. It's got Deer, Turkeys, It is loaded with white Oaks, it's just a little over an hour drive from my house and I am surrounded by bigger tracts of land. It's been the best money I have ever spent. I took my best GA buck of this place, and I am gradually improving the land. My latest improvement project was planting some chestnut tree's last November. They seem to be doing well and I hope they continue to grow and, in a few years, start to benefit the deer and turkeys. My only regret is I did not do this sooner. I was 49 when I made the purchase, so I hope I have many years ahead to make some awesome memories on this place.

GeorgiaGlockMan

One thing I forgot to mention about my place in Lincoln County and "lumber tracts"...

2/3rds of It was 7 - 10 yr old planted lobb lolly pines when I bought it. About 7 years or so ago I had the place 5th row thinned and select cut in the hardwoods. What a nice surprize that income was.

One maybe 2 more cuttings like that, timed semi right, and the place will have paid for itself in logging alone.

Good luck. It's a journey for sure.

SC Hunter

I'd like to add to the original post and ask everybody, if you don't mind saying, how old were you when you bought your property(ies)? I was 31 when we bought our place where the house is now and my wife was 36 (I trapped a cougar)

Kev

I always had family land to hunt but most of it got sold before I was old enough to know better. My wife’s family has one pretty good sized tract that I have free range on but it’s not mine. My wife and I moved around a lot after I graduated college and ended up moving to her family land. We lived in a camper with a nice porch that we built. We wanted to buy land that we could call ours so we lived in the camper, saving money and waiting for the right deal.

Well, we waited too long. The market took off and covid happened. We gave up on looking for anything and became content where we were. All of the sudden, I got a call from a person I knew through work and he knew of a house on 96 acres that was about to be listed and said I should make an offer. I made an offer and we bargained back and forth. Eventually we got the place for a fair price and live there now.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I'd like to add to the original post and ask everybody, if you don't mind saying, how old were you when you bought your property(ies)? I was 31 when we bought our place where the house is now and my wife was 36 (I trapped a cougar)
I was 41 when I bought the land in Taylor, 53 when I bought the land in Alabama.

livetohunt

If you love hunting and the outdoors buying land should be high on the priority list. It's a great investment too, especially when you get in the Midwest. I started out buying in Georgia and then transitioned to Illinois. Now I bought a place in Iowa and am in the process of moving to Iowa. I've learned a ton about buying and selling land along the way.

Mexican Squealer

Bought my first small farm (120 acres) in 2002. Have bought and sold multiple tracts of different sizes since. Have two farms I’ll never sell and ones I’ll gladly sell to anyone wanting them more than me.

Big7

The Oracle
My Daddy and Uncle inherited a little over 200 acres that was a working farm in 1966 when PaPaw died. He bought it back about 1920.

My Grandmother sold some to family members over the years, Dad and Unk were ok with that.

It is awesome farm and hunting land with 2 year round running creeks and just about all the adjoining properties were big farms and not many houses around. Ideal spread.

I spent MANY days and hours tromping that dirt since I was a little kid and was killing all the deer I wanted right up to the month it sold. It had a fantastic small game population until the Coyotes got "reintroduced".
BIG MISTAKE. They are everywhere now.

I made the serious mistake in letting my 2 sisters talk me into selling it all together. Supposedly, it was worth more by the acre in one large tract.

I wish a thousand times I had kept my share.
126 acres.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I regret selling the 40 acres of swamp land that I owned a couple of years ago. I killed my first turkey, first wood duck, first deer down in that swamp. I sure need it back now.

Never, ever take anything for granted, and unless your name is on the title, never put any faith in a place.

fatback

Bought my first tract of land when I was 35 years old. It was 45 acres. I’ve bought and sold a few over the years and bout my most recent tract of land at 48 years old, which was 2 years ago. I have 130 acres now that I’m hoping will be a good place for hunting and fishing for me and my family for years to come.