A few points left to me by a good friend.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Years ago, had an artifact display room. Not anymore. Never know who might come visit, and sometimes bring friends with em. When some disappeared, my collection went into a safe. Now only field grade stays out and around my den. Believe this photo was in 83.

Attachments

• displayof the past.jpg
    displayof the past.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 48

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Some only keep the best, most perfect. My study of point typology since the 60's didn't allow that. Instead, my collection compromised of everything found. The best, brokes. rejects, reworks, association in sites etc. Many years in the dirt, on the surface and digging can give one an education if they're paying attention. Here is some stuff from a Florida late archaic site. A site where Citrus points were the most common. A fine citrus is posted to show how the makers probably wanted most to turn out.

Attachments

• Citrus site.jpg
    Citrus site.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Citrus pascoco..jpg
    Citrus pascoco..jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 25

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
In the 1980's, I published a couple field guides, didn't take long to get rid of em. Sold them at my cost of printing. The old dot matrix method. Never had then reprinted.

Attachments

• bookdot.jpg
    bookdot.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 21

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Been at this hobby, and learning ever since the mid 1950's. Have written many articles for journals, newspapers and have done many programs for schools, Boy Scouts, libraries and college classes. For Florida typology, I use Bullen's publishing, revised 1975, and others published prior to 1990. Point typology for the lower Southeast is my favorite task. Nobody can call all of them correct, but experience helps get most of them right.

Attachments

• Agbook.JPG
    Agbook.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Aebook .JPG
    Aebook .JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DonalsonvillenewsB.jpg
    DonalsonvillenewsB.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 19
  • collector.jpg
    collector.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 35
  • cades pond vessel.jpg
    cades pond vessel.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 35

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was lucky to collect such a frame of artifacts when going out to Ark in March, three years in a row. Last year was 83 I believe.

Attachments

• ark bone.jpg
    ark bone.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 44

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had stopped the truck and got out to answer the cell phone. Service isn't too great in our woods. While talking noticed something white out in the cut over. Kirk

Attachments

• Kirk3 and grade.jpg
    Kirk3 and grade.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 33

Mauser

No words can describe your collection sir. It's truly amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I've seen a few good collections but none so far can compare to yours. I'm coming to a show when y'all finally get to have one. I'm not far from you l,we live in calhoun co.

ghadarits

Thanks for sharing Son. I always enjoy seeing your post’s.

Reactions: Son

ghadarits

In about 9 states, I've walked a few miles looking for pointed rocks. Here is a Hernando in Miller Co. Ga.
I see you use a stick for flipping and confirmation before actually bending over as I do.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I see you use a stick for flipping and confirmation before actually bending over as I do.
The stick is multipurpose. For flipping chips, moving briars aside, keeping balance and a stick is a great weapon for many purposes.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would love to a copy of that I bet it a great guide to have..
I kept a couple copies of each, not letting them go. Last copy seen out in public was in Homosassa Fl back in the 90's, in an antique shop. Lady had me sign it. Apparently in a collection she had bought.
Each publishing had a mistake or two, that's when I was first into publishing, and learned. It's best to have someone as knowledgeable to edit and check your work.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've been very fortunate to have had and still have many friends with loads of in the dirt experience. We older collectors were picking up points before it was thought "Cool". In fact back in the day, some would ask why we spent so much time looking for rocks, even if it was arrowheads? Nobody ask that now.

Attachments

• Bolen e notch.jpg
    Bolen e notch.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 12

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I've been very fortunate to have had and still have many friends with loads of in the dirt experience. We older collectors were picking up points before it was thought "Cool". In fact back in the day, some would ask why we spent so much time looking for rocks, even if it was arrowheads? Nobody ask that now.
You must surely have one of the most extensive collections owned by an individual. Do you agree with this? Thank you for giving us a peek.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
You must surely have one of the most extensive collections owned by an individual. Do you agree with this? Thank you for giving us a peek.
Actually, My collection is small compared to some I know about. The reason we don't hear about them is. Some collectors are hoarders, they collect and keep it to themselves and very close friends. I've always thought sharing what I find and know is a part of the hobby. Then there are some who see collecting as an investment, or business. I've never thought about value when it comes to my collection. Could have sold the collection many times, but that's not why I collect. I enjoy finding, learning and sharing.

Attachments

• amx.jpg
    amx.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 21

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
In a small creek in Ga, I had just picked up a fine bannerstone. Looking around to see if there were a dozen more, spotted this point right in front of me. With a banner and a fine point, was glad to give up snorkeling through junk, aquatic weeds and snakes. I was cold too. Took the two artifacts and went home that day.

Attachments

• 14021659_10205415769313438_8781698922124723419_n.jpg
    14021659_10205415769313438_8781698922124723419_n.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 37
  • Baker co.jpg
    Baker co.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 38