They seem happy enough

j_seph

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A real homesteader today would have few people to communicate with on a regular basis. I would imagine that this would be one of the most difficult parts of doing it for someone who enjoyed the society of others. Social Media, like Woody's, would give the opportunity to have some personal interaction while taking up little time from all the work that would need to be done on a homestead.

Woody's can even be enjoyed by us hermet like curmudgeons who generally don't like a lot of social contact.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
These social media homesteaders are kinda hard to figure. My sister is one who lives off the land 800 miles from walmarks but has social media following.

I figure a real homesteader wouldn’t have much to do with modern communication?

Thoughts
Why? Communication with other humans is a necessary thing to maintain your mental health for most folks. At least online, you can control how much of it you have.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
A real homesteader today would have few people to communicate with on a regular basis. I would imagine that this would be one of the most difficult parts of doing it for someone who enjoyed the society of others. Social Media, like Woody's, would give the opportunity to have some personal interaction while taking up little time from all the work that would need to be done on a homestead.

Woody's can even be enjoyed by us hermet like curmudgeons who generally don't like a lot of social contact.

I can relate to that very well.

sinclair1

Why? Communication with other humans is a necessary thing to maintain your mental health for most folks. At least online, you can control how much of it you have.
I don’t disagree. It’s just odd for me to see someone living outside society and then beg for likes so the same society pays the bills.

Like Mark said, some of these folks make six figures pretending to live off the land for advertising dollars.

Making money off the same beast youre running from doesn’t seem genuine to me.

It’s kinda like when you, who I held to a higher standard of anti society, ran to get the government shot. :stir:

sinclair1

My sister made 14k per month on YouTube. It’s not woodys. They might cut the camera and drive home in the Mercedes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t disagree. It’s just odd for me to see someone living outside society and then beg for likes so the same society pays the bills.

Like Mark said, some of these folks make six figures pretending to live off the land for advertising dollars.

Making money off the same beast youre running from doesn’t seem genuine to me.

It’s kinda like when you, who I held to a higher standard of anti society, ran to get the government shot. :stir:
I really don't understand this whole terrified of a shot mentality, or why certain people automatically assume that it's bad and that it's some kind of evil government conspiracy. I don't see it as "the government shot," just another vaccine. I've been getting them my whole life, from the time I was a baby. Probably a couple of them kept me from dying at some point. I don't politicize everthing in my world and see doctors as my enemy. I have always been a big proponent of vaccines. Talk to someone like my mom who lived before they existed and watched half their family die of or be disfigured by easily preventable diseases. I'm sure I will get plenty more shots before I kick the bucket. You can live in paranoid fear conspiracy land all you want. I don't live there. Ever stop to admit the possibility that it's just a shot that works just like it's supposed to? No, I didn't think so. That would make too much sense and isn't dramatic enough. :)

As for the OP, I respect anybody who figures out a way to make a living doing what they want to do, instead of what somebody else wants them to.

Last edited:

sinclair1

I really don't understand this whole terrified of a shot mentality, or why certain people automatically assume that it's bad and that it's some kind of evil government conspiracy. I don't see it as "the government shot," just another vaccine. I've been getting them my whole life, from the time I was a baby. Probably a couple of them kept me from dying at some point. I don't politicize everthing in my world and see doctors as my enemy. I have always been a big proponent of vaccines. Talk to someone like my mom who lived before they existed and watched half their family die of or be disfigured by easily preventable diseases. I'm sure I will get plenty more shots before I kick the bucket. You can live in paranoid fear conspiracy land all you want. I don't live there. Ever stop to admit the possibility that it's just a shot that works just like it's supposed to? No, I didn't think so. That would make too much sense and isn't dramatic enough. :)

As for the OP, I respect anybody who figures out a way to make a living doing what they want to do, instead of what somebody else wants them to.
Ok maybe try doing a few other things a doctor suggest. Unless your just like me.
Getting me to take a shot is like you putting down those cancer sticks. We are both going to do it, just at the last minute and there’s a good chance we both may pay for our choice.
Just like you are for them, I am bred against doctors and vaccines. I think you know why so I won’t put it on here.

Last edited:

sinclair1

As for the video folks, I don’t have a problem with fake homesteaders, but it does water down the ones out there really living off the grid and carrying on traditions that have spanned 200 years.
I guess to me it’s like when a Hollywood anti gunner plays a historic mountain man.

The next generation will look up to the actor or the YouTube fake as mountain men or homesteaders.

I just have a issue with this statement. “Here’s a selfie of me living off the grid”.

The open mind can sweep history away!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
As for the video folks, I don’t have a problem with fake homesteaders, but it does water down the ones out there really living off the grid and carrying on traditions that have spanned 200 years.
I guess to me it’s like when a Hollywood anti gunner plays a historic mountain man.

The next generation will look up to the actor or the YouTube fake as mountain men or homesteaders.

I just have a issue with this statement. “Here’s a selfie of me living off the grid”.

I will say this. If I was to do this, nobody would hear from me again. Ever. :cheers:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m I the same canoe Nic

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
My sister made 14k per month on YouTube. It’s not woodys. They might cut the camera and drive home in the Mercedes.
Is she single ? Pics ? Asking for a friend

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
This idea that our ancestor homesteaders were isolated people is a myth. They socialized as much as possible (but not as much as today) for news, trade, and religious reasons. There were get togethers for barn raisings, house building, pretty much anything you could think of. They went to church together, visited each other when they were sick, looked after each others children, helped each other with crops, swapped cattle for breeding, etc.

Artfuldodger

Most individuals though do like to share a new hobby, adventure, or lifestyle.
That's why the internet is full of forums. You Tube takes it to a whole new level. I use it all the time working on cars, etc. It takes the place of a Chiltons, lol
Maybe with the homesteaders, it takes the place of Mother Earth News. I like to watch them make cabins. I think it's just instinct for us to share our knowledge and enthusiasm.
Look at all the outdoorsmen and frontiersmen on the internet and even TV Show. Plus blogs and vlogging. Just a sign of the time.
Oh and campers. They go deep in the woods and the post live their adventures.

Artfuldodger

This idea that our ancestor homesteaders were isolated people is a myth. They socialized as much as possible (but not as much as today) for news, trade, and religious reasons. There were get togethers for barn raisings, house building, pretty much anything you could think of. They went to church together, visited each other when they were sick, looked after each others children, helped each other with crops, swapped cattle for breeding, etc.
We recently rode through Cades Cove in the mountains. They were isolated as far as their houses being far apart, but like you said they knew each other and spent a lot of time together.