My first Ruger 10/22

rosewood

Tentwing

Hammer,

Don’t feel bad it took me 48 years to buy my first 10-22:eek:…… and to be honest I bought it because it had beautiful walnut( it’s a sportier model) ,and I was curious why so many folks love theirs ??
Now I really like mine too. ? I scoped it ( I have old eyes) , and now I have to fight my grandsons over it. ?

rosewood

Took me 46 years. I have had a marlin 60 since I was about 14 and it is still my favorite for off hand shooting. Wanted the ruger for high capacity mags. I do like it though. I do not like the ruger factory sights. I will keep a scope on mine.

Rosewood

chuckdog

Only real complaint I have on the 10/22 is that too many have misaligned barrel mounts. Not a lot, but enough to be something I try to eyeball them before buying.

They still run like a sewing machine and shoot accurately, but require more windage adjustment than many scopes can deliver. Redfield/Leupold type mounts overcome it, but Ruger really should tighten up their “acceptable” spec on them.

They’re reliable, fun, and easy to customize.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Just because you have Porsche in the garage doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a Jeep in the barn.
:ROFLMAO:

My first was a Winchester 190...they both came out about the same time I think. I have wanted one but I hear issues like chuckdog mentioned and everybody I see has to add a bunch of Volquartsen items to make them shoot...My 190 shot good out of the box once I removed the rear sight elevator. Hard to believe I sold the thing...I still have my little brothers Ted Williams 11E (Winchester 190 different wood)...I got Jeeps...even an old Stevens.

Nimrod71

TC, I remember Gibson's too. Gibson's was the first big box store we had here. It helped close up a number of local stores since they were not able to be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week. I bought my first Rem. 788 in 22-250 at Gibson's.

Jester, everyone needs to have a 10-22 in their cabinet or behind the seat of the truck. Like you I have some special 22's that I really take care off, but I have a 10-22 behind the seat of both trucks and one stainless model I use in my boat. The boat rifle has really seen hard times. It once was under water for 2 weeks, after drying out and cleaning it worked fine. It is about 20 years old and I believe it will make at least 10 more years. The 10-22 took the place of my Rem. Nylon 66 which I retired to the gun cabinet.

Nimrod71

Jester you never cease to amaze me. I have wanted to try one of the Win. 190's. Been looking at picking one up at the auction.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I actually don't have one at the moment. I donated a 10/22, a Marlin 60, and an old Remington Viper to a meth head a few years ago, though.

killerv

they are addictive

I want an old finger groove

I actually ran across one recently at a local shop, but when I ran the serial, someone had put an '83 action/barrel in the old finger groove stock. The shop didn't know and paid way up for it, way overpriced.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Jester you never cease to amaze me.
I'm sure sorry about that

I saw one in my LGS not long ago...left to get some cash and didn't make it back that day...it was GON the next day.

You can come shoot my Ted William's...it even has the 4X scope in the box that came with it and a half box of bullets...don't think 50 rounds went through it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
well y'all guilted me
went by the LGS and they had a carbine with a scope from the factory...good price too...just not sure I want a carbine

NWS

they are addictive

I want an old finger groove

I actually ran across one recently at a local shop, but when I ran the serial, someone had put an '83 action/barrel in the old finger groove stock. The shop didn't know and paid way up for it, way overpriced.
Serial # check is good also a barrel band mark on barrel could be visible to help ID a fake Fingergroove barreled action.

chuckdog

TC, I remember Gibson's too. Gibson's was the first big box store we had here. It helped close up a number of local stores since they were not able to be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week. I bought my first Rem. 788 in 22-250 at Gibson's.

Jester, everyone needs to have a 10-22 in their cabinet or behind the seat of the truck. Like you I have some special 22's that I really take care off, but I have a 10-22 behind the seat of both trucks and one stainless model I use in my boat. The boat rifle has really seen hard times. It once was under water for 2 weeks, after drying out and cleaning it worked fine. It is about 20 years old and I believe it will make at least 10 more years. The 10-22 took the place of my Rem. Nylon 66 which I retired to the gun cabinet.

I bought my first new deer rifle at Gibsons in Villa Rica. I’m pretty sure it was 1977. It was a 336 Marlin chambered in .35 Remington.

Even back then I didn’t understand why a more complicated lever rifle was so much less than a fairly simple bolt action. I walked out of the store with the 336 and two boxes of ammo, still got change back from a $100 bill.

I’m not sure I was even familiar with the Ruger brand at the time. My first Ruger was a Single Six convertible. I got it at Carroll Pawnshop around 1980.

I’ve owned a pile of Ruger’s since. I developed a strong relationship with their handguns. One that continues to this day.

My first 10/22 that I bought for myself was an earlier production stainless H-BAR. I could kick myself for ever trading it off. It would shoot with my benchrest bolt rifles.

I too believe every gun owner should have at least one 10/22.

lonewolf247

Here’s mine. However my S&W 15-22 has been my favorite here lately. I think maybe it’s the 1-4x20 low power scope. It makes it a blast to shoot.

Attachments

• B6E4869E-BCBE-4C60-BF68-DC0F67381E77.jpeg
    B6E4869E-BCBE-4C60-BF68-DC0F67381E77.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DBF47D4E-AA17-4100-9571-8F7B14BECD92.jpeg
    DBF47D4E-AA17-4100-9571-8F7B14BECD92.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 23