4. Bone saw
5. Sharpener
6. ThermaCELL
7. TP
8. GPS
9. Map
10. Small first aid kid and lighter with Vaseline cotton balls
11. Orange flagging for blood trail
Anything else you guys carry or think I'm missing?

Buckman18

Yep, it's almost here and I'm scrambling to get my pack together, So far I have
1. Game bags
2. Flash light
3. Knife
4. Bone saw
5. Sharpener
6. ThermaCELL
7. TP
8. GPS
9. Map
10. Small first aid kid and lighter with Vaseline cotton balls
11. Orange flagging for blood trail
Anything else you guys carry or think I'm missing?

Mine is similar minus the thermocell, first aid, map, and orange flagging.

Add benadryl in case of bee stings or snake bite, food n drink, lifestraw, and I use TP for blood trails. Instead of game bags, I use trash bags for meat - during bow season im usually within an hour of the vehicle because of temperatures and meat spoilage.

A note on the bone saw. I have one, always. But if I'm packing, I'm de-boning. Much less weight.

Make sure your pack has EMPTY SPACE. You'll need it if you score.

Timberjack86

Mine is similar minus the thermocell, first aid, map, and orange flagging.

Add benadryl in case of bee stings or snake bite, food n drink, lifestraw, and I use TP for blood trails. Instead of game bags, I use trash bags for meat - during bow season im usually within an hour of the vehicle because of temperatures and meat spoilage.

A note on the bone saw. I have one, always. But if I'm packing, I'm de-boning. Much less weight.

Make sure your pack has EMPTY SPACE. You'll need it if you score.
My game bags are old pillow cases, and good idea on the benadryl. I'd much rather saw the bone off then debone up on a rock or tie leg to a tree and debone there. Less I'm bent over the better!

Joe Brandon

At least 2 or 3 flashlights, a thermaCELL, a couple of knives, protein bars and berries, 3L bladder, lots of water. If it don't fit in one medium bag I don't need it. Saw, small hatchet and game bags are in the truck. 1/10 times I don't harvest an animal, if I do its worth the walk back to the truck to get what I need. No since in lugging around a bunch of "what ifs" as if they are needed, just weighs me down and wipes me out quicker.

Joe Brandon

I never go in the woods without a bottle of water and a snack.
Although, if I'm on a half day hunt from the truck, I don't bring a pack.
My buddy and I were in the Cohuttas a few years ago and we said were just going to take a little walk. That turned into lets turn here, were not that far lets check this out, so on and so forth. Bottom line is we were empty handed and got lost. It was a really bad night. When I got back to the truck I had a nice note from @whitetailfreak "welcome to my side of the mountain" its an unforgiving place if you come unprepared. Buddy what a ruff welcome that was lol.As always we learned from it.

KentuckyHeadhunter

My buddy and I were in the Cohuttas a few years ago and we said were just going to take a little walk. That turned into lets turn here, were not that far lets check this out, so on and so forth. Bottom line is we were empty handed and got lost. It was a really bad night. When I got back to the truck I had a nice note from @whitetailfreak "welcome to my side of the mountain" its an unforgiving place if you come unprepared. Buddy what a ruff welcome that was lol.As always we learned from it.

That's a good story and one most people need to realize. It ain't no joke hunting in those mountains. Anything can happen. And it usually does.

chrislibby88

I always have TWO contractor bags. You can use them for ponchos, rain shelters (I used one opening weekend of small game getting caught in a blow up thunderstorm) waders crossing creeks, or you can line your pack for bloody meat. A sawyer mini filter for water, they work great. I have about everything else mentioned. I carry two headlamps, and usually a 3rd on my head. I’ve killed my only headlamp, and let my phone die cleaning a pig before and had to stumble back in the dark through palmettos and banana spiders for a half mile. Not fun.

chrislibby88

Oh forgot to mention compression bag for insulation layers. I keep a pretty close eye on the weather, but if I even think there’s a chance I may get cold I carry my lightweight packable insulation and compress is down really tight in the compression bag. Saves a TON of space. You have to be somewhat careful with this, some insulation takes a long time to fluff back up and loses a lot of insulation property if it gets smashed down too much. I’ve got some high end stuff that almost instantly fluffs back up.

ddd-shooter

From what I can tell, nothing in any 1/2 day pack mentioned thus far would help you in that situation. Except a map and a snack. Lol

ddd-shooter

I do want to add one more thing. My wife and I bought a lot of First Lite and Sitka last year. I wasn’t much of a believer in fine outdoor clothing but between Sitka awesome synthetics and all of the FL merino I was dry, cool, warm, comfortable, lighter, it’s nice stuff that paid off in its first year alone.
I tell people that all the time. If you're not gonna stop hunting anytime soon, get the best gear and be comfortable!

Don't care about the camo, but the fabrics and design of hunting specific clothing is awesome.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I do want to add one more thing. My wife and I bought a lot of First Lite and Sitka last year. I wasn’t much of a believer in fine outdoor clothing but between Sitka awesome synthetics and all of the FL merino I was dry, cool, warm, comfortable, lighter, it’s nice stuff that paid off in its first year alone.

Agree and agree. If you're gonna get gear that's gonna be used, get GOOD gear not cheaper items that won't last. FirstLite merino wool is amazing but I don't have enough of it. Definitely not cheap! Cotton can be your enemy out there. I'm disliking cotton more and more in daily life too. Also agree with a battery pack. I'm plugged into my Anker right now. A small bottle of diluted peppermint oil will repel those yellowjackets and many other insects. And bears love the smell of peppermint. Peppermint or spearmint gum is a good way to hide your breath. But the wind is your friend.

Latest posts