New Hunter Scouting

LRS Scout

Hey guys, it's my first post here but I've been reading as much as I can since finding the forums. I have a question about scouting that I haven't seen anyone ask yet but if you know of a thread please link it.

I'm planning on hunting the Jan 8th Berry WMA hunt and wanted to know if it's still advisable to scout it out ahead of time. I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not given that it's only about 3 weeks away. Since it's a WMA do you try and stay out before a hunt starts? Just not sure what's considered respectful to other hunters.

Also, I'm trying my luck up in Chattahoochee NF and wanted to know if it's worth it to go buy any sort of calling devices. I know it's past the typical rut and assumed that I might not need anything.

Thanks for reading this. I just went out on my first hunt ever yesterday and didn't see anything and figured I'd ask for some advice on here before heading back out tomorrow. Seems like I missed all of the WMA hunts for the most part. Hoping Berry College pays off as I've heard it's a good hunt. Thankfully I'm eligible.

Last edited:

slow motion

Hey guys, it's my first post here but I've been reading as much as I can since finding the forums. I have a question about scouting that I haven't seen anyone ask yet but if you know of a thread please link it.

I'm planning on hunting the Jan 8th Barry WMA hunt and wanted to know if it's still advisable to scout it out ahead of time. I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not given that it's only about 3 weeks away. Since it's a WMA do you try and stay out before a hunt starts? Just not sure what's considered respectful to other hunters.

Also, I'm trying my luck up in Chattahoochee NF and wanted to know if it's worth it to go buy any sort of calling devices. I know it's past the typical rut and assumed that I might not need anything.

Thanks for reading this. I just went out on my first hunt ever yesterday and didn't see anything and figured I'd ask for some advice on here before heading back out tomorrow. Seems like I missed all of the WMA hunts for the most part. Hoping Barry College pays off as I've heard it's a good hunt. Thankfully I'm eligible.
Welcome to the forum. Calling for me is a kind of hit and miss thing. Some days I get a response some days not. Never been on the Berry college hunt so I can't give you much advice there other than get in and scout some before you go so you're at least not going in blind. Good luck whether you're successful or not post up some pics.

Nimrod71

Ant is right. Always scout and area you plan on hunting. Scouting during small game season can really pay off. Where you find squirrels you will find deer, no squirrels - no deer, most of the time. Look for game trails, rubs and scrapes. Hunt thick areas and get away from the roads. Take your grunt call you may need it. Also take a compass and map of the area and some snacks and water.

LRS Scout

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I especially like the idea of looking for squirrels. I can go as far off trail as needed which is a good thing if I am going in the right direction haha. I'm adept with land navigation and all of that, just not so much with hunting. This will be a culmination of all of my outdoor experience thus far. I'm also looking forward to learning how to fish after this season. The idea of mountain trout fishing appeals to me, or anything that's good eating really.

Does anyone look for specific trees during this time of the year? Seems like it's pretty hard with the leaves not being on the tree. I'm guessing you just check the leaves that have fallen? Anyways, that's enough questions from me for now. I can use the search bar for the rest. Thanks again.

buckpasser

Welcome and good luck! The best advice I can give you is to pay very close attention to actual deer behavior and sounds as you get the opportunity. Try your level best to mimic the sounds the way your hear them. I’ve personally never heard a YouTuber or television hunting show rattle the way I do. Not that I’m right and they’re wrong, but when I call I’m always attempting to recreate exactly what I’ve heard and it’s paid off big for me over the years. It’ll just take some time to catalog what they do, how they do it and when they do it.

Doug B.

We are glad you came around. There is a lot to learn right here and some mighty good teachers!

One advise I would pass on is don't get discouraged if you don't kill something right away. Don't get discouraged if you don't see much for a while. But stay in the woods all you can and try to figure out what you are looking at or hearing while you are out. Even if you don't kill anything. The kill is not the most important thing. It's the experience of it all.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Another welcome for you!!!

Boots on the ground, slow, easy, and paying attention. Sights, sounds, smells, and sign.

The woods are a wonderful place, and to learn it you have to live it. Being "out there" is the best teacher. Even after a lifetime outdoors in nature there is always something new to learn and nobody knows it all. That's why you see so many lifelong disciples of the woods.

There has been sound advice given, and I am sure there will be more.

The most important point I will make for you is to fully enjoy your time outside. If you can truly put killing something several lines down the list, and focus on the entire experience, you will probably happen up on success!

Good luck, we'll be here, keep us informed...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
One more thing I just remembered...Last year, my son wanted to do something "different" than the flatland swamps we hang out in.

He threw a dart at the map, and wound up on one of the Berry College hunts. Sight unseen, except for map scouting and being a pretty good woodsman, he got after it and killed a gnarly old 9 point. He had a great time there!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I'm planning on hunting the Jan 8th Berry WMA hunt and wanted to know if it's still advisable to scout it out ahead of time. I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not given that it's only about 3 weeks away. Since it's a WMA do you try and stay out before a hunt starts? Just not sure what's considered respectful to other hunters.

Thanks for reading this. I just went out on my first hunt ever yesterday and didn't see anything and figured I'd ask for some advice on here before heading back out tomorrow. Seems like I missed all of the WMA hunts for the most part. Hoping Berry College pays off as I've heard it's a good hunt. Thankfully I'm eligible.

I know the regulations can be difficult for new hunters so I figured I would mention this. That January hunt on Berry is a specialty hunt, it's not open to everyone. Here are the criteria:

"A Specialty Hunt is only for Youth (16 years and younger), Ladies, Disability
License holders, Returning Georgia Veterans, Honorary License holders, and
hunters over the age of 65."

LRS Scout

I just hunted at the first day over at Beaverdam WMA and had a great day. Got close to some Does, pigs, and beavers but no bucks in sight. I needed some waders to go further than I did. Couldn't be happier.

I've also started scouting Berry College WMA. I've found fresh sign at both WMA's including a decent looking scrape finally. Still haven't found any buck beds yet.

I have to say that white tail are a much tougher adversary than I ever thought they would be. Looking forward to see my first buck more than anything.
IMG_5035.JPG
IMG_5036.JPG

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Hey guys thanks for the advice. I especially like the idea of looking for squirrels. I can go as far off trail as needed which is a good thing if I am going in the right direction haha. I'm adept with land navigation and all of that, just not so much with hunting. This will be a culmination of all of my outdoor experience thus far. I'm also looking forward to learning how to fish after this season. The idea of mountain trout fishing appeals to me, or anything that's good eating really.

Does anyone look for specific trees during this time of the year? Seems like it's pretty hard with the leaves not being on the tree. I'm guessing you just check the leaves that have fallen? Anyways, that's enough questions from me for now. I can use the search bar for the rest. Thanks again.
Find your white oaks and persimmons. You shouldn’t need the leaves on the trees for those.

bnew17

Some advice I have.

-Keep it simple. You don’t need to spend tons of money on the best camo or the latest scent gimmick.
-keep clothes as scent free as possible. If you sweat in them, at some point wash them in no scent detergent.
-try to hunt downwind, ideally you want the wind blowing in your face. You can’t fool a deers nose, but this helps.
-get Huntstand or Onx app. I prefer Huntstand.
-Don’t get discouraged. Sounds like your after a buck. Your best time to see them by far is during the rut. Outside of the rut I rarely see them. I hunt in a high pressured area. This late in the year find a food plot or food source and cross your fingers!

Offroadtek

Welcome to the forums. Berry has a good deer population. For this hunt, you basically get in early, be still, stay quiet and you'll see something. There are good places off scenic trail/lavender Mtn rd if you drive to the end on top of the mtn.

What are you hunting from? Ground, climber, blind?

Nimrod71

I have killed a number of deer while squirrel hunting. Several times I have set under oak trees waiting on squirrels and gone to sleep and woke up seeing a deer feeding near by. Several I shot them in the eye with my 22 and killed them graveyard dead right there. Brain shot.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I just hunted at the first day over at Beaverdam WMA and had a great day. Got close to some Does, pigs, and beavers but no bucks in sight. I needed some waders to go further than I did. Couldn't be happier.

I've also started scouting Berry College WMA. I've found fresh sign at both WMA's including a decent looking scrape finally. Still haven't found any buck beds yet.

I have to say that white tail are a much tougher adversary than I ever thought they would be. Looking forward to see my first buck more than anything.
View attachment 1122896
View attachment 1122895
Good deal. That is a rubbed tree/rub. A scrape is when a deer finds a lower licking branch and rakes the leaves out from underneath the branch and pees in it. Good luck on that buck. I would find a scape close to those rubs and wait him out. You went deep enough, now you just need to sit tight,quiet and still.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Welcome to Woodys! Soak up the knowledge and enjoy your time in the woods. It's a tough time of season to jump in, but may as well jump in with both feet.

Like someone else said, dont get discouraged and be patient it will all come together sooner or later.

frankwright

I have saved myself a lot of boot leather using Google Earth,GPS or OnX Hunt App.
You can use the aerial maps to find good looking locations like creeks, bottoms, ridges, pinch points that are normally good deer areas.
You may need to get a little off the roads to avoid other hunters.
Good Luck!