Did you know?: Striped Bass Facts

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
DID YOU KNOW?

Striped bass are a saltwater gamefish, but are anadromous, and swim up freshwater rivers to spawn and lay their eggs. They need at least 2 miles of oxygenated running water to hatch their eggs. Not exactly the best parents, as they just lay and fertilize eggs and let them float downstream with no protection or nest. They are fully capable of surviving their entire lives in freshwater rivers and reservoirs.
They also handle a wide range of water clarity well, even very muddy. They have a strong sense of smell and will eat dead and cutbait from the bottom, but are primarily sight feeders and eat mostly smaller fish, although clams, eels, crayfish, crabs, small birds, rodents, and anything else that can fit in their mouths are also eaten.
Stripers go by many names including "rockfish" and "man in the striped suit" and have been stocked across the country as far west as California for their aggressiveness and sheer fighting ability. They prefer water temperatures around 73°F but and feed much less below 50°F. Striper are a temperate or "true" bass species unlike "black bass" like Largemouth and smallmouth which are actually sunfish and more closely related to bluegill. Most top out around 80lbs with a 15-20lb average, but one that was commercially netted reportedly was around 100lbs!

Striper are caught with a variety of baits, lures and techniques. Trolling, casting, jigging, bottom fishing with live and cut bait, and many other methods are used to target them. About any lure that imitates a small fish are among the best, including jerkbaits, surface plugs, spoons and bucktail jigs.

Secret-Life-of-Stripers.jpg

ghadarits

They also spawn successfully in Santee Cooper in South Carolina and I believe that's the only place in the US of A that happens.

ryork

Funny, I thought time spent fish'n was not deducted from one's life time.

I know what you mean tho.

The bait catching/transporting/maintaining part of the equation has taken a few years off my back and shoulders!! I’ve had to change that process some the last few years……

James12

Not a better fighting River fish for me - The first time I had one blow up on a buzz bait late one summer evening, everything change for me. I didn’t land that fish on 12lb test, but I came back with 30lb braid and spent years becoming one with those bad dudes!

ghadarits

Not a better fighting River fish for me - The first time I had one blow up on a buzz bait late one summer evening, everything change for me. I didn’t land that fish on 12lb test, but I came back with 30lb braid and spent years becoming one with those bad dudes!
That sound very similar to my experience at about 13 years old with land locked Tarpon in south Florid. The first time I had one hooked up (about 15 seconds maybe) I thought I’d found the next world record Largemouth!!!! I had about a 15 year run catching them and that was a great time in my young life.

little rascal

They reproduce successfully in the Coosa/Etowah/Oostanaula. In fact that's where most of your Striper eggs come from to raise and stock stripers in other body's of water.

Liquid nails

Sept 12, 2020. 7:13pm. Remember it like it was yesterday. Me and my son had just got anchored up. Gonna fish till 1am. Just got 2 rods out with cut bait. Big gizzards that when it hits the water people nearby think your throwing 8” blocks in for fun. 1st rod takes off, steady pull and it’s smoking line, steady pull that never stops until all that braid is gone off the reel. Man. Got the whole thing on video. I’ve played it a million times. 42 seconds and it’s over. Not enough time to pop the anchor lines and go chase. The 40lbers we’ve caught finally slow down after a bit. That one didn’t. Not many fish can spool you in freshwater like that.
Love those stripes!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I chased them for years on Lanier. By far the most fun fresh water fish there is to catch/hunt.

LTZ25

West Point is a great Stripper lake , I caught one that bottomed out my 25 lb scale on a jerk bait with a spinning rod in Highland marina while bass fishing , what a battle .

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I think they successfully spawn in the Apalachicola River, and the lower Flint and Chattahoochee Rivers.
We used to catch quite a few stripers, hybrids, and white bass below the dam in Albany, didn't we? And one gigantic gar.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
We used to catch quite a few stripers, hybrids, and white bass below the dam in Albany, didn't we? And one gigantic gar.

That we did. I have a picture of that gar you caught somewhere. It would have been a state record if we had known to enter it, I think.

Big7

The Oracle
They also spawn successfully in Santee Cooper in South Carolina and I believe that's the only place in the US of A that happens.
Fished there for decades.
Never heard that.

Just looked it up and they do spawn there.

2 rivers in Georgia too.

The mtn man

Lots of fish can live in fresh or salt water. Rainbow trout are pacific ocean fish, redfish can live in fresh water, I think there's a lake in north carolina that has landlocked, stocked redfish, I can't remember the name. That would be cool if dnr threw a few million redfish into our lakes.

josephlukieee

Yes, we did! We wanted to share these striped bass facts with you, so here they are:

- Striped Bass Facts: A good night’s sleep will help you catch more striped bass.

- Striped Bass Facts: Striped bass are more active during the spring and fall months.

- Striped Bass Facts: The average size of a striped bass caught in Maryland is about 10 lbs.

- Striped Bass Facts: Striped bass can be caught on a rod, or a light tackle.

- Striped Bass Facts: Striped bass can be found in freshwater, saltwater, and brackish waters.

- Striped Bass Facts: The most popular bait used for striped bass are shad.