Did you know?: Striped Bass Facts

Mack in N.C.

DID YOU KNOW?

They need at least 2 miles of oxygenated running water to hatch their eggs.

View attachment 1129244

2 miles?

2 miles aint gonna get it done. its close to 50 miles in lots of rivers and for sure over 30 in almost every river.

"The hatching time varies from 65 hours at 60 degrees F to 36 hours at 70 degrees F. According to Bulak (1988), if a striped bass spawned at 70 degrees F in a low rainfall year, approximately 36 miles of flowing water is necessary for the eggs to hatch."

8pointduck

They also spawn successfully in Santee Cooper in South Carolina and I believe that's the only place in the US of A that happens.
From the lowcountry and was always told they did not spawn in the upper and lower lakes. ,but got into them from the locks. I just learned recently about them spawning successfully .

Richf7

Still waiting to accidentally catching one while fishing for white bass.

Angel Eyes

Richf7 it doesn’t have to be a accident. I find the strippers feeding with white bass all winter on Allatoona. They may be feeding partially on the white bass. Just fish a dollar bill size gizzard shad among the white bass and you will be rewarded. I know I misspelled striped.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Still waiting to accidentally catching one while fishing for white bass.
Caught several at "the park" last year. Totally changed the way I fish there. Still try for white bass early, but by march started for bigger fish. Just grab your heaviest rod, put a 1/2oz. egg sinker then a plastic bead.. swivel, then 2ft. leader and big hook. Use shiners and hang on. Several 3-5lb. spots up there too.

NCMTNHunter

Lots of fish can live in fresh or salt water. Rainbow trout are pacific ocean fish, redfish can live in fresh water, I think there's a lake in north carolina that has landlocked, stocked redfish, I can't remember the name. That would be cool if dnr threw a few million redfish into our lakes.

I never knew till the other day that brook trout will go to the ocean. There are a few places in New England and Canada where they do. They just can’t get there from here.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Lots of fish can live in fresh or salt water. Rainbow trout are pacific ocean fish, redfish can live in fresh water, I think there's a lake in north carolina that has landlocked, stocked redfish, I can't remember the name. That would be cool if dnr threw a few million redfish into our lakes.

There is a fairly large impoundment on the New Mexico / Texas state line (Redbluff Resevior) , on the Pecos River, that Texas has been talking about stocking redfish in for years. The Pecos has a saline content on par with any tidal river in the SE. Texas did in fact stock flounder in a area of this lake about 20 years or so ago and they survived just fine but the state never went any further. People in the area swear their brother's uncle's best friend's attorney caught one, usually last week or next week, but there is no photo evidence that I ever saw. They were most definitely tested though....I know one of the biologists and he showed me the fish in person. They had a cove isolated with a coffer dam and allowed water in and out but no fish. This lake was one of the best striper lakes in the nation at one time but a golden algae bloom wiped it out and continued to happen for several years. Just before I left New Mexico both states were working together to stock hybrids and apparently did so succesfully.

GTMODawg

BANNED
There is a fairly large impoundment on the New Mexico / Texas state line (Redbluff Resevior) , on the Pecos River, that Texas has been talking about stocking redfish in for years. The Pecos has a saline content on par with any tidal river in the SE. Texas did in fact stock flounder in a area of this lake about 20 years or so ago and they survived just fine but the state never went any further. People in the area swear their brother's uncle's best friend's attorney caught one, usually last week or next week, but there is no photo evidence that I ever saw. They were most definitely tested though....I know one of the biologists and he showed me the fish in person. They had a cove isolated with a coffer dam and allowed water in and out but no fish. This lake was one of the best striper lakes in the nation at one time but a golden algae bloom wiped it out and continued to happen for several years. Just before I left New Mexico both states were working together to stock hybrids and apparently did so succesfully.

I just did some googling and Texas did indeed stock Red Bluff with redfish experimentally....they placed about 3000 adult, breeding age fish in the lake from 1960 - 1966. Periodic golden algae blooms have prevented further experimentation. I just got a text from a buddy though who says the hybrids have indeed taken hold and are doing well so far....and white bass have been stocked since 2018 and seem to be doing well.

Liquid nails

Out of 14 fish last year that was 20+lbs, 9 of those was caught on cut bait. The biggest down to the #5 biggest was on cut bait. Took the #6 fish to be caught on live. Fished 5 different lakes.

The year previous our biggest was on live but most of the rest of the bigger fish was on cut bait.

Just trying to say never give up on cut bait. It’s boring, yes, but well worth it in the end.

Fisherman001

Out of 14 fish last year that was 20+lbs, 9 of those was caught on cut bait. The biggest down to the #5 biggest was on cut bait. Took the #6 fish to be caught on live. Fished 5 different lakes.

The year previous our biggest was on live but most of the rest of the bigger fish was on cut bait.

Just trying to say never give up on cut bait. It’s boring, yes, but well worth it in the end.
Hey liquid nails, what is a good cut bait to use? I’ve used frozen saltwater sardines before, but not had much luck with them.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Hey liquid nails, what is a good cut bait to use? I’ve used frozen saltwater sardines before, but not had much luck with them.

To me the absolute best is gizzard shad. Any bait fish will work though...threadfins, bream, bluebacks, etc. And I want the freshest possible.

Fisherman001

To me the absolute best is gizzard shad. Any bait fish will work though...threadfins, bream, bluebacks, etc. And I want the freshest possible.
Thanks Dustin, I hear that gizzards Shad is real good. What do you think gold fish? There’s a bait shop near me that sells them.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dustin, I hear that gizzards Shad is real good. What do you think gold fish? There’s a bait shop near me that sells them.

I have personally never used them, but I know they work incredibly well for catfish. I'm sure a striper would suck one down as well. I tend to think they would be better live than cut. Gizzards work so well because they are straight up nasty and slimy.