Any Nightforce or Trijicon users around?

FlipKing

I'm scope shopping again for a new rifle. 20" .308. Idea is for it to be a more compact, light weight build, short medium range.

My current considerations are Leupold VX5 3x15x44 or 2.5x10x42, Trijicon Credo 3x15x44, or Nighforce SHV 2.5x10x42. I currently have a VX5 already. I don't know much about the other 2. Budget is about 1k and would like to the keep the scope around 20oz or less. Open to other ideas as well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have Nightforce SHV and NSX...good stuff. I have used a Trijicon scope...didn't care for the reticle and it could have been clearer. I ain't much help with Leupold.

marlin

I have two trijicon accupoints 2.5x10x 56. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another if I needed another scope. I also have a couple of vortex vipers. One of them is a 4x16x50 With side focus. The vortex may be a little clearer not by much. I do like the little green dot on the trijicons and no battery to replace.

Dub

Trying out SHV & ATACR‘s here. I think they will be solid. It’s early, though.

rmp

I use the SHV C610 and a Trijicon TR20-2G. They’re mounted on rifles used in different applications. The Trijicon is about 10 ounces lighter and is mounted on a Kimber Montana. It’s a perfect match for a lightweight. The Nightforce is on a built rifle that’s a few pounds heavier but doesn’t get up the mountain near as much. No dialing on my Trijicon. I have total confidence in both and either will serve you well IMO.

rmp

After looking at the specs for the Credo you mention, I’d be inclined to go with the SHV but that’s more so because of my history with Nightforce. Nothing against a Trijicon at all.

jfish

owning several nightforce scopes they would not be my choice for a short/medium range scope while trying to keep lightweight. this is based upon nxs and atacr. low light glass is not in my opinion something nightforce is good at.

trijicon accupoints i have are nice scopes and i personally like the dot others hate. glass is pretty good at low light better than nightforce to me.

however for short to medium range hunting scope my go to for lightweight and clearity is the swarovski. i have tortured them and they maintain accuracy. 14oz weight is hard to beat.

everyone has a story just giving you my experiece owning both you mentioned.

JeffinPTC

DK about NF.
I've got several Trijicon. I bought most when I was hunting where I might have a shot more than 200 yards, but now I never have anything that long. I like the Trij triangle post because it really draws your eye, you can keep both eyes open; and the fiber light because you don't need to adjust from shooting light to daylight.
I also have a Leu VX-L 3-10 and VX6 4-24. they're great scopes, but you have to change the light setting as the morning progresses.
I don't have one, but I've been considering the Trij 3-9x40; its about half the weight of these other scopes, and less than $600. It's the only Accupoint with 1" tube. Trij just confuses me with all their new scope names.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/trijicon-glass-the-same-thru-the-line.986443/

What you need to know is that ACCUPOINT means tritium and fiber light, no battery. I don't worry about the tritium getting dim since the fiber provides enough at shooting light.

my other posts about Trij here:

https://forum.gon.com/search/400075/?q=accupoint&c[users]=JeffinPTC&o=relevance

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=trijicon+Accupoint&Tube+Diameter=1"

None avail now, but DVOR runs the TR20 for $585 often. MW had some reticles for $599 last fall.

https://www.dvor.com/search/accupoint

I like my 2.5-12x42, but you said lightweight and it weighs 22 oz vs 13 for the 3-9. If you want for Ga brush stalking, get the triangle post. If its for western long range, get crosshairs. My Accupoints all say made in Japan. But then my LEU binos do too.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The SHV I have with the IHR reticle is very clear in low light no almost no light.
I think there could be other good choices than just mentioned here. And there probably wouldn't be a lot of differences inside of 200 yards.
Most of the comparisons I have done between the ones mentioned are a much longer distances.

FlipKing

Yeah I really like my VH5, but I think the night force and trijicon would dial a little better. And I'm not sure I need as much magnification on this rifle as my 6.5. I've looked at the NXS but a little out of price range.

I do know I want capped or locking turrets. I had a Vortext HST that I liked but the turrets didn't lock and I believe it cost me a deer.

Nimrod71

I am a Night Force rifleman. Your request for lite weight is not in the Night Force range. Short and medium range are possible. For what you wanting I would go with the Leupold 5. The 5 is a great scope and it will be liter than the Night Force.

FlipKing

Weight is something I'm watching but 2-3oz won't make or break me. I've also been reading on Zeiss V4s. I looked at Maven but not a fan of FFP.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am a SFP type myself. My Zeiss V4 is pretty nice too. The NSX does have zero stop but the SHV doesn't IIRC...mine doesn't. The one I have isn't available any more with the IHR reticle. You will need to keep track of stadia marks when dialing.

jfish

I have couple zeiss also. I found the swarovski to be more clear and lighter. I cant speak for leupold only have owned two i think and wasnt impressed with either.

Steve-ALA

I am a SFP type myself. My Zeiss V4 is pretty nice too. The NSX does have zero stop but the SHV doesn't IIRC...mine doesn't. The one I have isn't available any more with the IHR reticle. You will need to keep track of stadia marks when dialing.

I have two SHVs. They have zeroset. It’s basically the same as zerostop, just uses a different mechanism to achieve it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have two SHVs. They have zeroset. It’s basically the same as zerostop, just uses a different mechanism to achieve it.
is the turret capped or uncapped? Mine is capped and they have changed them I believe for the exposed turret just not sure what all changed.

lonewolf247

I'd be inclined to take a look at the Swarovski Z3 in 4-12x50. It will probably be less weight than the other options you've suggested, and also better in low light situations. I own a Z3 4-12x50, and also the Swarovski Habicht 4-12x50, and both have been flawless.

Offered with or without ballistic turrets, and for ~$900! My money would likely go there.

lonewolf247

Natchez looks like they're sold out, of the 4-12x50. NY Camerland is sold out of the regular plex, with no Ballistic Turret. However, they have the 4-12x50 BT on sale now too.

Swarovski, actually looks like they have had a slight price drop in the last couple years, while the others, continue to go up. In the $800-1200 slot, they are very competitive. Link below:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...b54e-0132-636d-00163e9110c0?variation=1117405

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I was looking at Z5 2.4-12X50 and didn't see a reticle I liked...to replace the Leupold on my High Wall if they can't fix mine...it wears a 2.5-10X50 now.